Glenfaba & Peel

Thank's for the summary, 'ole Bean. 

I sincerely hope you're wrong about Harmer's chance of re-election, and Crookall too for that matter. Both have already had their chance and in my opinion, have proved sorely lacking. 

I'm looking forward to hearing from Cowin. A serial complainer he may be, but hopefully he has the drive - we already know he has the tenacity - to actually do something about that which he complains. 

He's been a thorn in the side of government for quite a while now, hopefully he'll be a thorn on the inside of government too. 

Lord-Brennan's a winner for sure. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

Thank's for the summary, 'ole Bean. 

I sincerely hope you're wrong about Harmer's chance of re-election, and Crookall too for that matter. Both have already had their chance and in my opinion, have proved sorely lacking. 

I'm looking forward to hearing from Cowin. A serial complainer he may be, but hopefully he has the drive - we already know he has the tenacity - to actually do something about that which he complains. 

He's been a thorn in the side of government for quite a while now, hopefully he'll be a thorn on the inside of government too. 

Lord-Brennan's a winner for sure. 

My perceptions were changed after hearing Cowin. I thought he would be a real firebrand - but he seemed more intent of trying to demonstrate how clever he was in unearthing alleged wrong-doings, and wasn't really articulate. A lot of his answers to the questions posed were also lacking...he also had an annoying habit by starting each response to "That's a good question", when in reality, some were banal.

My money really is probably on Kate and Tim. Time will tell on the day - as they say - nowt so queer as folk.

On 9/7/2021 at 7:50 AM, Manx Bean said:

The first Public Meeting for the constituency was held last night in St John's School and really showcased the candidates - for better or worse. Generally speaking it was a pretty dull affair, being very well controlled by the quizmaster master like Alan Corlett. With no opportunity for responding to answers given, it was clinical but fair.

The format spread over 2 hours was:

1) Each candidate was given 5 minutes to do an introductory speech

2) Questions from the audience, answered by all 7 candidates in rotation

3) 2 minute closing statements

My conclusions on the Magnificent 7 (irony) was:

Ray Harmer - spoke quite well, but focussed too much on "what I have done" card and to be honest waffled.

Geoff Boot - ditto, but with an air of smugness that didn't sit well.

Kate Lord-Brennan - had a real spark and air of passion, and was the only candidate to receive applause

Leo Cussons - came across as a lovely man, laid back but rambled which sadly concealed his obvious intellect

Trevor Cowin - Spent the whole night waffling on about how he was a serial complainer and bored the audience rigid

Tim Crookall - Spoke a lot of common sense with an air of credibility and sincerity

Mikey Lee - A nice young man, who was out of his depth, but gave it a go.

My money now is effectively on three horse race:

Kate Lord-Brennan, Tim Crookall and with Ray Harmer as an outside chance of re-election.

Trevor Cowin is too much of a loose cannon, Mikey Lee is lovely but would get eaten alive in Tynwald, Leo Cusson came across as a bit too laid back and Geoffrey Boot - well maybe he should visit Ireland.

I was there too and this pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

Was quite disappointed listening to Cowin.
Cussons just rambled on and on and didn't really answer the question he was asked.
Lee has potential when he get a bit older / more experience but it isn't the right time for him.
Don't want Harmer & Boot to get back in.
Leaving Brennan & Crookall who both spoke well I thought.

I see Tim quite often and he's always friendly and pleasant. We're on first-name terms. 

However, while he was still in government I, as a constituent, asked him for help getting some information for my daughter and her family who were returning to live here. We spoke about this several times, in person, over a few weeks. He assured me he was able, willing and happy to help.

I'm still waiting for that help years later.

And government wonders why more young adults aren't returning home after being away at uni, and in my (Manx-born) SiL's case, the armed forces. Help and/or advice is very thin on the ground for them.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

I see Tim quite often and he's always friendly and pleasant. We're on first-name terms. 

However, while he was still in government I, as a constituent, asked him for help getting some information for my daughter and her family who were returning to live here. We spoke about this several times, in person, over a few weeks. He assured me he was able, willing and happy to help.

I'm still waiting for that help years later.

And government wonders why more young adults aren't returning home after being away at uni, and in my (Manx-born) SiL's case, the armed forces. Help and/or advice is very thin on the ground for them.  

Not a surprise. He kept his head down, never really did anything and as a result was rewarded with a Ministership under Teflon Bell and then a cushy MLC job.

He is a nice guy but a vote for him definitely won't be a vote for change or progress.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Read Lord Brennans manifesto today. She’s forward thinking and the right person for the role. As someone has already said - Tim Crookall is lovely but doesn’t have a good track record with people regarding getting things done for them.

• Like 3

Not my constituency but I was interested to watch the GEF video today as I really want Boot and Harmer out. 

Kate LB stood out for me, good speaker, measured responses plus her manifesto is the best I have read so far. 

Boot and Harmer bleated on about their ‘achievements’ over the last term and little else. 

Leo started off well I thought but then got a bit waffly as the evening went on. Stands a good chance  

Tim has surely had his day? Nice bloke but ineffective previously. 

Trevor was boring. When your greatest achievement is the most petitions for redress of grievance we have a problem.  

Mikey won’t win this time. Keen but lacking in detail. Try again in 5 years. 

My prediction - Kate and Leo🤞