Jump to content

Middle


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Candidates should live in the constituency. Robertshaw represents Douglas East and lives in Crosby. Whereas David Christian Douglas Corporation leader I believe (unless otherwise) lives in Union Mills. Some other MHKs don’t live within their constituency that they represent. 

I think it’s relatively beneficial but not ‘required’ for example, Quine grew up in Anagh Coar, played football for Pully a but now lives on Bray Hill (I think). I don’t see an issue with him representing the area he grew up in and understands. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Candidates should live in the constituency. Robertshaw represents Douglas East and lives in Crosby. Whereas David Christian Douglas Corporation leader I believe (unless otherwise) lives in Union Mills. Some other MHKs don’t live within their constituency that they represent. 

Voters are free to vote against outsiders. But I think if they're comfortable with their MHK living outside the constituency there shouldn't be rule preventing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Candidates should live in the constituency. Robertshaw represents Douglas East and lives in Crosby. Whereas David Christian Douglas Corporation leader I believe (unless otherwise) lives in Union Mills. Some other MHKs don’t live within their constituency that they represent. 

We should have all island voting. It’s not that big really. 24 MHKs, live wherever they like, we all vote for them island wide, and they each get allocated a constituency to ‘look after’. I’m sure a system based on where they live or where they got most votes could be designed to ensure representation is relatively local. 

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, wrighty said:

We should have all island voting. It’s not that big really. 24 MHKs, live wherever they like, we all vote for them island wide, and they each get allocated a constituency to ‘look after’. I’m sure a system based on where they live or where they got most votes could be designed to ensure representation is relatively local. 

In reality you're talking about 60 to 80 candidates for each general election. Where the heck does anyone start with that many manifestos?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

In reality you're talking about 60 to 80 candidates for each general election. Where the heck does anyone start with that many manifestos?

A good point. However, how many voters today read each manifesto, in full, of their current choice? Few, I’d guess.  Without an established party system this will always be the case.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

We should have all island voting. It’s not that big really. 24 MHKs, live wherever they like

24 MHKs on full-time salaries is far too many.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2021 at 3:07 PM, x-in-man said:

Thank fuck for that - I may not have to spoil my paper again this year after all.

(begins to think about putting the rusty mole grips away - only think about it mind)

 

I was actually kind of looking forward to spoiling my ballot! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

I believe you have to be on the electoral roll on the IOM but you don't have to live in the constituency you stand in

 

Has it always been thus? 

I know about 20 years ago one MHK in a certain constituency lived outside, but worked there.  He then sold his business when an MHK and then moved house to the constituency so he still had a 'presence' there.  Might of course just been informal, or he thought it was prudent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I Would Just Like To Say - I Don’t Think I Will Bother To Vote For That Particular Candidate If He Thinks Every Thing He Has Had Printed Should Look Like This. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only one winner in this beef. DJ Gammon's crew will want to stop MC Woke and MC Woke's posse ain't gonna have no truck with DJ Gammon.                 Lil Flower gonna be featured artist on everyone's ballot paper.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...