Jump to content

Middle


Recommended Posts

Prior to this latest duo there had been at least three MLCs stood for House of Keys election.

They all resigned from the Legislative Council first.

(Victor Kneale did so in 1981 for example) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Prior to this latest duo there had been at least three MLCs stood for House of Keys election.

They all resigned from the Legislative Council first.

(Victor Kneale did so in 1981 for example) 

 

I can remember 4.

Edgar Mann, Victor Kneale, Leonard Singer and CC McFee in 1971.  I did wonder about Clifford Irving. But he constituency hopped several times between 55 and 86 ( Douglas East, North and West ) with one defeat in 81 and was then MLC 87-95.

Initially Singer intended to stay on, but bowed to public pressure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Barlow said:

I'm not saying it is a "conspiracy" although up to a point it is.

The scenario being Tynwald puts their Golden Girl in against non-establishment types ("we don't want no hippies, no-hopers or gammons in our club) then fill her place with a person of their very own liking.

It stinks.

Is there anything in this life that you haven't got a chip on your shoulder about? Apart from teachers, lawyers, police or members of tynwald?

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I can remember 4.

Edgar Mann, Victor Kneale, Leonard Singer and CC McFee in 1971.  I did wonder about Clifford Irving. But he constituency hopped several times between 55 and 86 ( Douglas East, North and West ) with one defeat in 81 and was then MLC 87-95

Not quite John.

Cecil was voted off the Legislative Council. In a three horse race for two seats he was third with 12 votes (November 1970). He did stand for Rushen the following General Election in 1971 and was 4th with a creditable 1648 votes,

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Is there anything in this life that you haven't got a chip on your shoulder about? Apart from teachers, lawyers, police or members of tynwald?

Drugs. You forgot the drugs and the druggies. And their dealers.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe the two intelligent M.L.C  ladies really want to work for our island and get involved rather than be part of a sleepy MLC club that doesn’t have any merit in its present form in the modern world, you only have to look at those who have been handed the golden ticket in the past to see it’s a dead loss being mainly being a retirement job for former  mhks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Maybe the two intelligent M.L.C  ladies really want to work for our island and get involved rather than be part of a sleepy MLC club that doesn’t have any merit in its present form in the modern world, you only have to look at those who have been handed the golden ticket in the past to see it’s a dead loss being mainly being a retirement job for former  mhks.

I sincerely hope that both ladies are elected. Not because they are women but because they are intelligent, articulate, seemingly motivated, and have decent real world experience. In other words, most unlike the majority of current MHKs.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MF - instead of moaning on here, stand for election.

Others - OK then I’ll do that

MF - useless candidates this lot, wish some decent folk would stand

Decent candidates - we’ll stand!

MF - these decent candidates are opportunists, only standing because the field is weak.  They should definitely also give up their current livelihoods before doing so - that’ll teach them to be so arrogant, thinking they can get in as MHKs

etc.

:rolleyes:

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

MF - instead of moaning on here, stand for election.

Others - OK then I’ll do that

MF - useless candidates this lot, wish some decent folk would stand

Decent candidates - we’ll stand!

MF - these decent candidates are opportunists, only standing because the field is weak.  They should definitely also give up their current livelihoods before doing so - that’ll teach them to be so arrogant, thinking they can get in as MHKs

etc.

:rolleyes:

Yep - MF is only happy if it’s moaning. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2021 at 10:44 AM, Barlow said:

Yes there is an opportunity and she grabbed it, and is standing with nothing to lose. And of course had Bill Shimmins and Quayle stood again, Jane Poole-Wilson would not, as you suggest, have stood.

This isn't good democracy.

You’re making a lot of assumptions. Quayle isn’t popular in Middle he was bottom of the poll last time. She could well have been planning to stand regardless anyway. Of course it’s good democracy. She’s a good candidate in a field of literally terrible candidates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

 She’s a good candidate in a field of literally terrible candidates.

Correct enough. But you miss the point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fluffy123 said:

Yep - MF is only happy if it’s moaning. 

Well there’s a clue in ‘Manx’ Forums!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...