Jump to content

Middle


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, joebean said:

Mr Fowler Is Adopting A Tried And Tested Election Strategy; Go In Hard For The Numpty Vote. 

I have just found out that using all those capitals is actually quite tiring. He has stamina, at least.

It's bloody tiring on the eyes too just working through it.

Thank his lucky stars that nobody actually reads them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Barlow said:

All those previous MLC's who had the decency to resign their Tynwald seat before declaring they were standing for House of Keys must have been silly billies, eh tony?

It's not the way it's normally been done in the past.  Certainly the two I checked (Singer in 2006 and Victor Kneale in 1981)  both resigned just before the actual day of the election and took an active part in LegCo up to the date their resignation became effective (I think you have to submit it a month before the effective date).  I would expect the two LegCo members to do similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of us don't resign from jobs before we apply for another

Are Nolan principles being violated by standing for general election to the House of Keys?

image.png.3750faa31667ad4598e3e7a362b12866.png

Personally I think MLCs should be popularly elected

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

That may as be @Roger Mexico but there are folk arguing these MLCs shouldn't have to resign at all.

I don't think anyone is saying that.  They are saying that why should an MLC be expected to resign whilst current MHK's continue to be paid whilst standing for re-election.  Even those who are not current MHK's will be able to remain in their current job and be paid whilst on the election trail although they may have to use holiday or take some other form of leave if they are not fulfilling their normal job. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Even those who are not current MHK's will be able to remain in their current job and be paid whilst on the election trail although they may have to use holiday or take some other form of leave if they are not fulfilling their normal job. 

If you were senior enough some candidates might well be on 3 or 6 months notice so even if they gave their jobs up contractually they’d be stuck working and electioneering. Or in some cases stuck having to fulfill duties to their old employer during a notice period even after they got voted in. I can’t see why MLCs should jack it in before hand. Same with anyone self employed you aren’t going to just stop running your business on the off chance that you might get in. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Barlow said:

That may as be @Roger Mexico but there are folk arguing these MLCs shouldn't have to resign at all.

And they might legally have a case.  Certainly when Victor Kneale's resignation was being discussed in LegCo he was being praised for resigning at all with the implication it wasn't legally necessary, though things may have changed since 1981.  Certainly when local authority members stand they don't always resign until they are elected as MHKs, so the dual mandate ban only comes into force then.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

If you were senior enough some candidates might well be on 3 or 6 months notice so even if they gave their jobs up contractually they’d be stuck working and electioneering. Or in some cases stuck having to fulfill duties to their old employer during a notice period even after they got voted in. I can’t see why MLCs should jack it in before hand. Same with anyone self employed you aren’t going to just stop running your business on the off chance that you might get in. 

I did. And Tim Glover resigned from M.R. before declaring.

Also remember that until late August we're all just 'prospective candidates' until the Returning Officer accepts our nomination forms and makes it official.

Edited by Stu Peters
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I did. And Tim Glover resigned from M.R. before declaring.

Also remember that until late August we're all just 'prospective candidates' until the Returning Officer accepts our nomination forms and makes it official.

You and Tim Glover are in very unique positions so there is no real comparison. You could not with any credibility have stayed on the radio as that would give you an unfair advantage and an unfair media platform to be seen and heard. Especially Glover who did the politics shows. It would be impossible for him stay on and not to be conflicted. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I did. And Tim Glover resigned from M.R. before declaring.

Also remember that until late August we're all just 'prospective candidates' until the Returning Officer accepts our nomination forms and makes it official.

Presumably though it’s part of your contact of employment that when you announce an intention to stand you have to resign. The reason is surely journalistic integrity rather than political. Though I think a leave of absence - perhaps followed by a review by management at the end of the campaign - would be enough. 
 

I can’t see the same case applying for MLCs. If too many decide to stand would Legco be quorate? The more orderly thing would complete the Tynwald cycle and then resign when the MHKs finish up for the summer. They’re either going to be MHKs or their position will be untenable after public rejection anyway. 
 

 

Edited by Declan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having the letters MLC after your name (whether you actually use them or not) gives a flag of supposed integrity and standing.

  

On 7/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, oooohtony said:

Shame HQ isn’t there for people not to vote for though.  I was astounded he got in last time (didn’t get my vote) and really don’t think he would again against decent competition  - and he knows it.  Bet he was considering it a week ago then.  At that point he would have walked back in against the three declared

 

Howard Quayle got a standing ovation walking down from the hill yesterday. He would walk into Middle erm, hands down.
 

And if an MLC were to stand against him it would be something like a hanging offence (just to clarify the point that Jane Poole-Wilson would have stood anyway - she would not, and more so not, if Shimmins was standing too)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not dissimilar to Middle, in the case of Minister (Minister? wtf) Harmer, I think throwing a buckshee MLC into the mix in Peel would be as good a self-explanatory reason as any. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Barlow said:

Howard Quayle got a standing ovation walking down from the hill yesterday. He would walk into Middle erm, hands down.

Do you live in Middle or speak to many people who do?

I do, and think he would really struggle to find much favour outside council houses and pensioners to be honest 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Not dissimilar to Middle, in the case of Minister (Minister? wtf) Harmer, I think throwing a buckshee MLC into the mix in Peel would be as good a self-explanatory reason as any. 

Are you suggesting that she has been put up to standing by others in keys who want to see Harmer and Boot out?

If you are that is absurd, and you might want a little lie down.

If not. I can’t really see your point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...