Middle

Posted (edited)

Also, if an MLC has to resign, is it really OK that a Marown commissioner is in the frame?

Surely it is easier for a lock commissioner to sway local opinion using their position that it is someone who oversees the implementation of legislation at a national level?

Edited by oooohtony

1 hour ago, oooohtony said:

Are you suggesting that she has been put up to standing by others in keys who want to see Harmer and Boot out?

If you are that is absurd, and you might want a little lie down.

If not. I can’t really see your point

Also, if an MLC has to resign, is it really OK that a Marown commissioner is in the frame?

Surely it is easier for a lock commissioner to sway local opinion using their position that it is someone who oversees the implementation of legislation at a national level?

Sorry, but the best I can do is:

Whoosh! Whoosh! and Whoosh" again.

• Like 1

Do you live in Middle or speak to many people who do?

I do, and think he would really struggle to find much favour outside council houses and pensioners to be honest 

I think you are right, on second thoughts.

Stu Peters would provide such people a good alternative to Howard (who is mentioned in this interview re his words about Manx Radio getting a £million per annum from IoM Government and they have the audacity to ask awkward questions of him....)

It's an odd interview. Set aside the obvious wickedness of his "plain-speaking common sense" pretense, he speaks quite well. His analysis of the Failed Quayle administration and the structural problems in Tynwald and the Government is accurate.

But his solution? Ask a few questions; point at a plan and say "that's daft", then shrug his shoulders because what can a back bench MHK do? It's refreshingly honest, probably accurate but desperately cynical, especially as he dismisses most public campaigns - equality, social housing, climate change as bandwagons.

So he's not going to be part of the Government, he's not going to be part of an organised opposition, he's not going to raise issues that the public are concerned about, he doesn't seem to have proposals for anything - what's he going to do all day?

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

What are the three "pile-ons" Stu mentions that he was a victim of? I can think of the white privilege debacle, and inflicting autistic children on diners kerfuffle. But what's the third - black ops? milkgate?

Edited by Declan

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

What are the three "pile-ons" Stu mentions that he was a victim of? I can think of the white privilege debacle, and inflicting autistic children. But what's the third - black ops? milkgate?

Richard Murphy and the black ops  “death threats”?

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Richard Murphy and the black ops  “death threats”?

Stu was a bit hard done by there. Not sure Richard Murphy has the power to instigate a pile of tax regulation nerds though. 

13 minutes ago, Declan said:

Stu was a bit hard done by there. Not sure Richard Murphy has the power to instigate a pile of tax regulation nerds though. 

But I’m sure that Stuart sees himself as a victim. He certainly seems to be playing it. It’s not much of a platform to stand on in a General Election.

'Obvious wickedness' Declan? Really? I appreciate we differ on many things, but I would never accuse you of being 'wicked'.

Just now, John Wright said:

But I’m sure that Stuart sees himself as a victim. He certainly seems to be playing it. It’s not much of a platform to stand on in a General Election.

You've never suffered the abuse I have on social media though John. I enjoy the cut and thrust of disagreement and debate, but there are far too many trolls and self-appointed social justice warriors on Facebook who wake up every day looking for people in the public eye that they can incite a mob to bring down. A psychologist might be able to explain that kind of destructive mentality, but I just find it worriesome.

And it was a passing comment in answer to a specific question, so I'm hardly looking for the world's smallest violin.

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

You've never suffered the abuse I have on social media though John. I enjoy the cut and thrust of disagreement and debate, but there are far too many trolls and self-appointed social justice warriors on Facebook who wake up every day looking for people in the public eye that they can incite a mob to bring down. A psychologist might be able to explain that kind of destructive mentality, but I just find it worriesome.

And it was a passing comment in answer to a specific question, so I'm hardly looking for the world's smallest violin.

Really?

No. Social Media wasn’t around in the 80’s. But I’ve been abused from university until now for being gay. Stuff in post, through the door, phone calls at every hour of day and night, on the street, in the Manx and Uk media.  You weren’t here at the height. And it still happens.

Just like BAME are abused or discriminated against or afforded less equal treatment every day of their lives. 

Your problem is a total lack of insight into your casual racism, homophobia. You’re  just a misogynistic still trying to be a member of lad culture. And when you’re challenged you go into victim mode. And while you’re at it you’re mixing with/attracting support from some pretty distasteful right wing/libertarians who care nothing for journalistic integrity or freedom of anything - apart from their own ability to control the message.

You’ve fallen a very long way.

Don't get me wrong. It was your job to be a shock jock. I understand that. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

It is not just "self-appointed social justice warriors" who will have a go at people in the public eye via social media and other forums.  There are plenty of people on the right wing who will use exactly the same tactics to incite and bait people.  There are people in power in the UK who benefit from the so called "culture wars".  I wonder why the word "war" was used in that phrase?  Perhaps to get the people fighting against each other whilst the Government in the UK slowly strip away peoples rights?  

I have no doubt that you went through some horrible experiences, however, that does not take away from the lived experience of millions of others who have experience homophobia and racism.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

It is not just "self-appointed social justice warriors" who will have a go at people in the public eye via social media and other forums.  There are plenty of people on the right wing who will use exactly the same tactics to incite and bait people.  There are people in power in the UK who benefit from the so called "culture wars".  I wonder why the word "war" was used in that phrase?  Perhaps to get the people fighting against each other whilst the Government in the UK slowly strip away peoples rights?  

I have no doubt that you went through some horrible experiences, however, that does not take away from the lived experience of millions of others who have experience homophobia and racism.

Edited by Grumble