Middle

Amadeus

1 hour ago, oooohtony said:

What is lad or ladders culture then?

I would class myself a “lad”

Teenager in the 90s.

Now a middle aged white straight guy who likes beer and football, motorsport, women and lots of other things that middle aged white men enjoy.

Falling into that group  apparently means I have a head start in every sense.

I am not black

I am not LGBT

I am not a woman

I am not disabled.

So by all counts I have it easier than anyone else.  Only problem is I dare not open my mouth these days for fear of offending someone.

Imagine a recruitment process these days where all candidates were equal on ability and experience.  All equally suitable for the position.

Me, a woman, a gay man, a black man and someone in a wheelchair.

Guess who is the least likely to get the job?

Not you if there is a quota to fill for the company.  Sad but true.

I wouldn't employ you anyway but that's an aside.:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oooohtony said:

What is lad or ladders culture then?

I would class myself a “lad”

Teenager in the 90s.

Now a middle aged white straight guy who likes beer and football, motorsport, women and lots of other things that middle aged white men enjoy.

Falling into that group  apparently means I have a head start in every sense.

I am not black

I am not LGBT

I am not a woman

I am not disabled.

So by all counts I have it easier than anyone else.  Only problem is I dare not open my mouth these days for fear of offending someone.

Imagine a recruitment process these days where all candidates were equal on ability and experience.  All equally suitable for the position.

Me, a woman, a gay man, a black man and someone in a wheelchair.

Guess who is the least likely to get the job?

The one with a chip on their shoulder?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Not you if there is a quota to fill for the company.  Sad but true.

Exactly, and we all know it.

Would I have that conversation in mixed company at a dinner party?

No.  Guaranteed to end up be labelled sexist, racist or homophobic.

Sad but a reflection of the world we live in.

19 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

Exactly, and we all know it.

Would I have that conversation in mixed company at a dinner party?

No.  Guaranteed to end up be labelled sexist, racist or homophobic.

Sad but a reflection of the world we live in.

I've had much more contentious conversations than that and not been accused of anything. Perhaps its the way you approach the conversation?

i.e. "I'm not sure affirmative action is always a good thing" vs "companies keep giving all our jobs to minorities".

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I've had much more contentious conversations than that and not been accused of anything. Perhaps its the way you approach the conversation?

i.e. "I'm not sure affirmative action is always a good thing" vs "companies keep giving all our jobs to minorities".

Is it affirmative action though?

Where companies employ people to fill quotas it's only an affirmative action from the perspective that a box is ticked.

Not that best person for the job actually got the job, in the context big Tony us referring to:thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Is it affirmative action though?

Where companies employ people to fill quotas it's only an affirmative action from the perspective that a box is ticked.

Not that best person for the job actually got the job, in the context big Tony us referring to:thumbsup:

Quotas are just an implementation of affirmative action, non?

On 7/8/2021 at 12:51 PM, HeliX said:

Quotas are just an implementation of affirmative action, non?

Oui.

The issue includes the ability to "fight" back from stereotypical or offensive viewpoints that reduces people to mere labels. The references used on social media can reflect so much that people seem genuinely totally unaware of. Those that have to endure crass comments based on ignorance who are not there or able defend themselves should be supported, yes, even in their absence.

• Like 1

I don’t have a vote in Middle but I did see Stu Peters Facebook post about traffic cones.

My lord!! Asking for answers to what was asked in Tynwald and then asking if anyone knows who owns a business.  How can anyone expect people to vote for them if they can’t do the most basic of research? It’s a worry alright.

Stu. Here is a clue.  Try the company registry.  It is all online and very simple because it is all public information 

Edited by Ramseyboi

4 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

He could maybe also drive around Middle as most businesses have a big sign on their building telling people what that business is. Braddan Business Park is a bit of a giveaway as well. I genuinely worry about Peters and the fact he might get in and be the worst sort of MHK. The field in Middle is appalling as it stands. It’s a shame Shimmins has had enough.

I don't understand your point, I drive around Middle a lot. And see lots of cones, hence the FB question. It's not a forensic investigation so I'm not going to pay for details from CR (and probably wouldn't recognise any names anyway). The worst sort of MHK is the Nodding Dog. We have enough of them already and I don't intend to be one.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The worst sort of MHK is usually a super opinionated egotist who makes every thing about themselves. Which is why having heard some of your radio shows I generally don’t think you will be a good one. 

Damn, I wish there was a 'burn' icon! 

• Like 2