Jump to content

Middle


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

4. Do you plan to help improve our current healthcare system?. If so, how?.

Again, a candidate is in no position to promise anything, so most manifestos are at best a wish list for Santa and at worst an outright fraud. Our health service seems broken almost beyond repair. People can't get appointments, NHS dentists are like hen's teeth (see what I did there?) and we're apparently paying consultants here an average salary of £190k compared to their counterparts in the UK scraping by on just £120k. I don't have the answers but can think of lots of questions that might help focus better minds than mine.

This not the full picture. Medical salaries are made up of different components and this "one size fits all" commonly quoted argument lends itself to a distorted picture. I do not know of any Consultants just scraping on by anywhere.

The view also does not take fully into account our geographical position and the limits and constraints that issue alone raises. However, as it actually unlikely Stu will be made Minister for Health and Social Services immediately means we can all breathe a sigh of relief that what GPs, dentists and Consultants we do have here at the moment are not going to be packing their bags and leaving us all to it. 😀

On a more serious note though it does raise the question of who will be the next Minister of the DHSS ???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 11:40 PM, Apple said:

On a more serious note though it does raise the question of who will be the next Minister of the DHSS ???

DHSC actually. The DHSS ceased to exist many years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a much less important job than it was.

DHSC set targets, negotiate contracts with independent, or arms length service providers, measure performance.

Everything else is delivered via Manx Care. Hopefully they’ll realise it’s more expensive to have locums and reverse some of the daft wage and pension decisions so staff will come and stay.

Even public health is cabinet office.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:40 PM, Apple said:

This not the full picture. Medical salaries are made up of different components and this "one size fits all" commonly quoted argument lends itself to a distorted picture. I do not know of any Consultants just scraping on by anywhere.

The view also does not take fully into account our geographical position and the limits and constraints that issue alone raises. However, as it actually unlikely Stu will be made Minister for Health and Social Services immediately means we can all breathe a sigh of relief that what GPs, dentists and Consultants we do have here at the moment are not going to be packing their bags and leaving us all to it. 😀

On a more serious note though it does raise the question of who will be the next Minister of the DHSS ???

 

8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

DHSC actually. The DHSS ceased to exist many years ago.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Hopefully they’ll realise it’s more expensive to have locums and reverse some of the daft wage and pension decisions so staff will come and stay.

Quite agree, not least to promote some consistency for patients and relatives and to monitor clinical competencies.

However, not an issue for here perhaps so back to Manx Care.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2021 at 10:36 PM, Stu Peters said:

Marvellous idea. People who don't want to discuss democratic politics should definitely use them and save ALL candidates a lot of time.

If you don't win, do you get your old job at Manx Radio back? What's the plan B? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plan B is to consider what I want to do if Plan A doesn't work out. Time enough for that after 23/9.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 10:36 AM, offshoremanxman said:

Are they Daleks?

No. They’re less forgiving and more right wing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think if I was a Middle voter I’d rather vote a Dalek in than Peters. 

As you keep saying. Repeatedly and tiresomely. But you're not so you can't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 10:28 PM, germann said:

If you don't win, do you get your old job at Manx Radio back? What's the plan B? 

 

On 7/22/2021 at 12:42 AM, Stu Peters said:

Plan B is to consider what I want to do if Plan A doesn't work out. Time enough for that after 23/9.

Is this a career move?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...