Jump to content

Middle


Amadeus
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

My view is that the SPC is operating lots of near empty boats. On the basis they have to be staffed anyway and use the same amount of fuel, why not offer massive price cuts to holidaymakers (who I've been told for years don't come because of the ferry prices) who book accommodation or car hire as part of a deal? You'd have to be careful of substitution, so maybe just off-peak sailings.

 

The steam packet runs every day for freight of course many boats are low on passengers as people want to travel around the weekend, school holidays or in the summer months,  fares are already reduced off-peak, those who don't come because of ferry prices are looking to come when everyone else is, dropping the price further for off-peak would not fill the boats it would lose money hand over fist.

But wait no lets build those made up extra tourists a mega million pie in the sky dry ski slope, a monorail and some zip lines.  Of course they will be a gold mine despite being inaccessible 4 weeks of the year when TT / MGP is on or when ever there is a road closure for TT works, and closed most of the winter due to road conditions, poor visibilty and high winds  You are just less overtly oddball than David Fowler but he seems to have the less fuckwitted ideas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I’m sure he means that more affordable fares allows frequent travel to see friends & families so don’t need to move, however subsidizing fares to encourage travel is costly & there’s a c£120m debt to finance plus new boat

But he’s talking about young people, the majority of which I would imagine have their friends and families here on the Island

 

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone noticed how many David Fowler posters there are along main roads? Feels like driving through Baghdad in the late 80s, except instead of Saddam, they put up pictures of a Payne Stewart impersonator. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

Anyone noticed how many David Fowler posters there are along main roads? Feels like driving through Baghdad in the late 80s, except instead of Saddam, they put up pictures of a Payne Stewart impersonator. 

Yes commented yesterday on that, every 50/60 yards on a stretch from mount Murray back road junction to cooil church 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Fluffy123 said:

You miss the point. Who would actually stand to be an MHK with the intention to just spend 5 years doing nothing. Sorry but that’s very very synical. Love or hate who we have or who is standing, but they all do it because the my think they can make a difference in there. It’s not an easy route to MHK - why go through all that effort to then just sit on your fat ass?  I’m sure there will be loads of ‘he did that, she did that’ with examples. But unless you’re in there you don’t know what goes in behind the scenes. Not everyone gets news time. Not everyone publishes every minute of their day on social media. 
 

sorry I just think that anyone who stands should be given a fair crack of the whip. And they can choose their own way of doing things. I really can say there is on candidate who is in it just for the money, and to have 5 years off. 

I did miss the point, my bad. As for that, I can't speak for as to why anyone would act in such a way. Just pointing out that there is room for it and that it will be interesting to see if it produces more or less scrutiny. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

My view is that the SPC is operating lots of near empty boats. On the basis they have to be staffed anyway and use the same amount of fuel, why not offer massive price cuts to holidaymakers (who I've been told for years don't come because of the ferry prices) who book accommodation or car hire as part of a deal? You'd have to be careful of substitution, so maybe just off-peak sailings.

 

Offering price cuts is a good idea but there also has to actually be things for them to do when they get here. It isn't like years ago when they had all kinds of entertainment and fun features spread across the promenade. The tourist retail industry is pretty much dead. If you go to somewhere like Blackpool you have the funfair, the souvenir shops, shows, acts, deckchairs, random food outlets etc etc. There is a lot for families to do. On the island at the minute you pretty much have the choice of Heritage, Walking, Beach and Pub. To create a new tourist industry we need to have a reason for tourist to come in the first place. Aka, legalise cannabis.

Personally. I don't smoke it. I used to a long time ago but it doesn't interest me anymore. However, I recognise the potential that legalising it could have. Look at Amsterdam for example. 600 million per year (I think if I remember correctly) from tax on the sale of cannabis products. The Isle of Man could be the Amsterdam of the UK (yes I know we aren't part of it etc etc but you get what I mean). Especially with Amsterdam looking at banning weed tourism once the coronavirus pandemic is over. We could literally have a huge slice of that economic pie and the money could be used to fund all kinds of things. Even so far as giving each resident a monthly stipend to boost up their wages and quality of life.

Imagine £200 per moth per resident. 84, 584 residents. Thats a little over 16 million per year. But, if we were earning an extra 4-600 million through cannabis tourism it would be completely affordable with a lot left over for other projects. The money could help improve the island no end. So long as we don't use a certain building company or DOI to engage in any further projects that is. We could fix the current promenade scheme and remove the stupidity that has been added, revamp the walkway, revamp the sunken gardens as they are starting to show their age, a new modern ferry terminal, invest in re development of lord street car parks and other sites around Douglas to offer more for the new tourism. Offer incentives for locals to start their own business aimed at catering to and helping promote tourism, deckchairs, prom side stores and outlets. Idk....stuff...

For those who worry about the legalisation. We could do it in such a way that it suits those who are for cannabis and those who would rather avoid it. So, legal within certain approved areas. Decriminalised, can carry but smoking it banned in most public spaces. So, you can smoke it inside of a designated cafe, outlet or inside your own home. Certain outdoor spaces could be designated smoking zones. For instance the Falcon Glen on Broadway, some of the sunken gardens, parts of Douglas beach etc etc. That way you cater to the tourism and those who are pro cannabis and those who do not want to engage with it, are not forced to. Win win. If anyone is found to be smoking it in a public area then at first they could get a warning to put it out and stop. If they choose to ignore or keep doing it then their cannabis gets confiscated. It would also help curb a lot of the illegal sales of cannabis on the island as residents would have a choice. Get high quality decent grade cannabis from an approved vendor. Or take the risk and get potentially questionable grade cannabis from a backstreet dealer. Limit the amount of cannabis outlets per area. For instance you could have one either side of the main Douglas street. Perhaps another further along the promenade. One more in upper Douglas, one in peel, Ramsey etc. Give people a reason to travel around the island and not just stay in the capital.

The potential is so unrealised. The sheer amount of income that it could bring to the island and for local businesses. We are never ever going to be the super duper holiday destination ever again. It just simply will not happen when families can hop on a plane to Spain and enjoy far superior weather and entertainment. And catering solely to heritage and walking is only aiming at a small niche of a massive massive market. It would revitalise the struggling hotel industry, provide much needed funds for our local health service, improve our police service as a greater number of officers would be required, improve the pub industry. It is such a win win in all directions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Chie said:

Offering price cuts is a good idea but there also has to actually be things for them to do when they get here. It isn't like years ago when they had all kinds of entertainment and fun features spread across the promenade. The tourist retail industry is pretty much dead. If you go to somewhere like Blackpool you have the funfair, the souvenir shops, shows, acts, deckchairs, random food outlets etc etc. There is a lot for families to do. On the island at the minute you pretty much have the choice of Heritage, Walking, Beach and Pub. To create a new tourist industry we need to have a reason for tourist to come in the first place. Aka, legalise cannabis.

Personally. I don't smoke it. I used to a long time ago but it doesn't interest me anymore. However, I recognise the potential that legalising it could have. Look at Amsterdam for example. 600 million per year (I think if I remember correctly) from tax on the sale of cannabis products. The Isle of Man could be the Amsterdam of the UK (yes I know we aren't part of it etc etc but you get what I mean). Especially with Amsterdam looking at banning weed tourism once the coronavirus pandemic is over. We could literally have a huge slice of that economic pie and the money could be used to fund all kinds of things. Even so far as giving each resident a monthly stipend to boost up their wages and quality of life.

Imagine £200 per moth per resident. 84, 584 residents. Thats a little over 16 million per year. But, if we were earning an extra 4-600 million through cannabis tourism it would be completely affordable with a lot left over for other projects. The money could help improve the island no end. So long as we don't use a certain building company or DOI to engage in any further projects that is. We could fix the current promenade scheme and remove the stupidity that has been added, revamp the walkway, revamp the sunken gardens as they are starting to show their age, a new modern ferry terminal, invest in re development of lord street car parks and other sites around Douglas to offer more for the new tourism. Offer incentives for locals to start their own business aimed at catering to and helping promote tourism, deckchairs, prom side stores and outlets. Idk....stuff...

For those who worry about the legalisation. We could do it in such a way that it suits those who are for cannabis and those who would rather avoid it. So, legal within certain approved areas. Decriminalised, can carry but smoking it banned in most public spaces. So, you can smoke it inside of a designated cafe, outlet or inside your own home. Certain outdoor spaces could be designated smoking zones. For instance the Falcon Glen on Broadway, some of the sunken gardens, parts of Douglas beach etc etc. That way you cater to the tourism and those who are pro cannabis and those who do not want to engage with it, are not forced to. Win win. If anyone is found to be smoking it in a public area then at first they could get a warning to put it out and stop. If they choose to ignore or keep doing it then their cannabis gets confiscated. It would also help curb a lot of the illegal sales of cannabis on the island as residents would have a choice. Get high quality decent grade cannabis from an approved vendor. Or take the risk and get potentially questionable grade cannabis from a backstreet dealer. Limit the amount of cannabis outlets per area. For instance you could have one either side of the main Douglas street. Perhaps another further along the promenade. One more in upper Douglas, one in peel, Ramsey etc. Give people a reason to travel around the island and not just stay in the capital.

The potential is so unrealised. The sheer amount of income that it could bring to the island and for local businesses. We are never ever going to be the super duper holiday destination ever again. It just simply will not happen when families can hop on a plane to Spain and enjoy far superior weather and entertainment. And catering solely to heritage and walking is only aiming at a small niche of a massive massive market. It would revitalise the struggling hotel industry, provide much needed funds for our local health service, improve our police service as a greater number of officers would be required, improve the pub industry. It is such a win win in all directions.

I would say it would likely not bring as much tourism as you might think. Amsterdam also has sprawling tulip fields, crazy museums and galleries, plus various other debauchery filled activities, which to be honest we don't want to overly encourage. And it's borders are other countries.

That aside, cannabis is so readily available in the UK, people would never travel here for that. We have missed the boat on cannabis being much more profitable than Alcohol. 

We should sort legislation for it to be available on Isle though. CERTAINLY for medical. That should be a priority for the next administration

Edited by Keiran Hannifin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Chie said:

Offering price cuts is a good idea but there also has to actually be things for them to do when they get here. It isn't like years ago when they had all kinds of entertainment and fun features spread across the promenade. The tourist retail industry is pretty much dead. If you go to somewhere like Blackpool you have the funfair, the souvenir shops, shows, acts, deckchairs, random food outlets etc etc. There is a lot for families to do. On the island at the minute you pretty much have the choice of Heritage, Walking, Beach and Pub. To create a new tourist industry we need to have a reason for tourist to come in the first place. Aka, legalise cannabis.

Personally. I don't smoke it. I used to a long time ago but it doesn't interest me anymore. However, I recognise the potential that legalising it could have. Look at Amsterdam for example. 600 million per year (I think if I remember correctly) from tax on the sale of cannabis products. The Isle of Man could be the Amsterdam of the UK (yes I know we aren't part of it etc etc but you get what I mean). Especially with Amsterdam looking at banning weed tourism once the coronavirus pandemic is over. We could literally have a huge slice of that economic pie and the money could be used to fund all kinds of things. Even so far as giving each resident a monthly stipend to boost up their wages and quality of life.

Imagine £200 per moth per resident. 84, 584 residents. Thats a little over 16 million per year. But, if we were earning an extra 4-600 million through cannabis tourism it would be completely affordable with a lot left over for other projects. The money could help improve the island no end. So long as we don't use a certain building company or DOI to engage in any further projects that is. We could fix the current promenade scheme and remove the stupidity that has been added, revamp the walkway, revamp the sunken gardens as they are starting to show their age, a new modern ferry terminal, invest in re development of lord street car parks and other sites around Douglas to offer more for the new tourism. Offer incentives for locals to start their own business aimed at catering to and helping promote tourism, deckchairs, prom side stores and outlets. Idk....stuff...

For those who worry about the legalisation. We could do it in such a way that it suits those who are for cannabis and those who would rather avoid it. So, legal within certain approved areas. Decriminalised, can carry but smoking it banned in most public spaces. So, you can smoke it inside of a designated cafe, outlet or inside your own home. Certain outdoor spaces could be designated smoking zones. For instance the Falcon Glen on Broadway, some of the sunken gardens, parts of Douglas beach etc etc. That way you cater to the tourism and those who are pro cannabis and those who do not want to engage with it, are not forced to. Win win. If anyone is found to be smoking it in a public area then at first they could get a warning to put it out and stop. If they choose to ignore or keep doing it then their cannabis gets confiscated. It would also help curb a lot of the illegal sales of cannabis on the island as residents would have a choice. Get high quality decent grade cannabis from an approved vendor. Or take the risk and get potentially questionable grade cannabis from a backstreet dealer. Limit the amount of cannabis outlets per area. For instance you could have one either side of the main Douglas street. Perhaps another further along the promenade. One more in upper Douglas, one in peel, Ramsey etc. Give people a reason to travel around the island and not just stay in the capital.

The potential is so unrealised. The sheer amount of income that it could bring to the island and for local businesses. We are never ever going to be the super duper holiday destination ever again. It just simply will not happen when families can hop on a plane to Spain and enjoy far superior weather and entertainment. And catering solely to heritage and walking is only aiming at a small niche of a massive massive market. It would revitalise the struggling hotel industry, provide much needed funds for our local health service, improve our police service as a greater number of officers would be required, improve the pub industry. It is such a win win in all directions.

Totally agree with this and Kieran's comments.  The potential benefits are many and varied, much thought and some action by some people is encouraging.  However, the reality is that the IOM will never legalise or decriminalise until the UK does. Simple as that. 

In fact I can totally see the UK easing up further in the next few years.  The IOM will then drag it's feet and we'll probably be still seeing kids having their lives ruined by being caught with £7.13 of weed for probably a couple of years after... 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Totally agree with this and Kieran's comments.  The potential benefits are many and varied, much thought and some action by some people is encouraging.  However, the reality is that the IOM will never legalise or decriminalise until the UK does. Simple as that. 

In fact I can totally see the UK easing up further in the next few years.  The IOM will then drag it's feet and we'll probably be still seeing kids having their lives ruined by being caught with £7.13 of weed for probably a couple of years after... 

What we CAN do, is organise import licences. Cannabis has been legal medicinally since 2018. Just illegal to import and cultivate. So, to bring us in line with the UK, we should be having private prescriptions, sent to a centralised pharmacy on Isle for pick up. And then we can work on the rest. There is alot of scope for cannabis on the island, once we are growing in quantity AND quality. We could actually offer it on public prescription (though it will be hard to convince anyone to give up the cash cow)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

What we CAN do, is organise import licences. Cannabis has been legal medicinally since 2018. Just illegal to import and cultivate. So, to bring us in line with the UK, we should be having private prescriptions, sent to a centralised pharmacy on Isle for pick up. And then we can work on the rest. There is alot of scope for cannabis on the island, once we are growing in quantity AND quality. We could actually offer it on public prescription (though it will be hard to convince anyone to give up the cash cow)

 

 

You're growing on me Keiran....

However, haven't all the (NHS) GPs on Island stated they wouldn't prescribe Cannabis?  Can you get private prescriptions over here? 

Bear in mind these are the same people doing the vast majority of their consultations online/phone now.  The only people being protected are themselves - but that's a whole different different gripe! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

What we CAN do, is organise import licences. Cannabis has been legal medicinally since 2018. Just illegal to import and cultivate. So, to bring us in line with the UK, we should be having private prescriptions, sent to a centralised pharmacy on Isle for pick up. And then we can work on the rest. There is alot of scope for cannabis on the island, once we are growing in quantity AND quality. We could actually offer it on public prescription (though it will be hard to convince anyone to give up the cash cow)

 

 

Nah. What they should do is sell people a licence to grow their own  (£200/yr x 3000? people) while keeping it illegal otherwise and putting some more effort in to the ports. The police can have half the licence fee to fund it, the other half to administer it. Then when society hasn't collapsed after two or three years bring in full legalisation based on an entirely on island production. 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...