Middle

Amadeus

Just now, Keiran Hannifin said:

Provided its in your manifesto, no department head or minister can stop you voting on an agenda. 

Pledges outweigh collective responsibility. Hence why my manifesto is 8 pages long. 

I appreciate that but most manifesto's are not that detailed and matters arise and circumstances change over a 5 year period. Additionally over a period MHK's/Ministers become better informed on matters. 

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

I agree @Lost Login

Government membership should be limited to 11 members at max, with the balance - excluding the Speaker & Deputy Speaker - forming an opposition & electing an official Leader of the Opposition

I really dislike the phrase "opposition" in IoM politics. I don't think has a place until political parties are elected. MHK's should support good policy and ideas and oppose bad ideas. Presently virtually all those elected are independents so should be free to act as they see fit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Provided its in your manifesto, no department head or minister can stop you voting on an agenda. 

They can't stop you voting but they can sack you from your position and reduce your earnings considerably (though less so in the new Keys). 

That's exactly what happened when Chris Thomas was sacked.  And he wasn't even sacked by Quayle but by the Chief Secretary who decided that what was in the manifesto didn't count.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Pledges outweigh collective responsibility. Hence why my manifesto is 8 pages long. 

*Meant as constructive criticism.   

Less is probably more in a mannifesto.  It should be effectively an executive summary.  I'd warrant not many people would trawl through 8 pages.  

In my opinion your well thought out and rational responses on here are proving quite endearing.  Keep it up.  If you transition this into the hustings, then you're definitely in with a chance. 

I'd pegged you as a bit of a wildcard initially.... I'm pleasantly surprised. 🤘

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

I really dislike the phrase "opposition" in IoM politics. I don't think has a place until political parties are elected. MHK's should support good policy and ideas and oppose bad ideas. Presently virtually all those elected are independents so should be free to act as they see fit.

A lot of people don't like the word opposition in Manx politics

That's why we don't have one

37 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Should completely leave GPs out of it. It's unfair. 

Definitely. They're not the most informed of people when it comes to many drugs, including the side-effects and contraindications of the compounds and elixirs they prescribe. Imo, once qualified after a couple of years, there's a few lazy types who'll never read another medical paper, in depth, ever again. Careless prescribing creates more addicts and kills some patients every year. 

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

Jesus wept. You are basing your ideas on what people moaned about on a phone is show. A show which you have admitted on here in the past that you did no research for or know what the topic was once your hours were cut and became a freelancer. I would have thought just out of personal pride and natural curiosity let alone not wishing to sound like an ill informed ignoramus anybody wanting to host such a show would insist on doing at least some very basic research first.

Your apparent lack of wishing to be informed or learn about matters is one of the reason's I think you are totally unsuited to being an MHK.  I don't want an MHK who basically says "I think I agree with that" and does not think anymore about it if it fits in with his world view. 

Your bile is palpable. If hundreds of people over some 18 years tell you the SPC fares are what is limiting tourism, is it not worth at least testing that premise - and for no real cost? My idea would at least provide a great marketing opportunity. These were genuine comments from a wide range of people, so I didn't need to research anything (and often wouldn't have known what to research beforehand). I know SPC offers deals (and I think the fares are cheap enough) but if you keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result, you're delusional.

37 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

These were genuine comments from a wide range of people

A wide range of the sort of people who would ever call an old-fashioned local radio phone-in programme during the working day.

So, in reality, not a wide range of people at all :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chie said:

For those who worry about the legalisation. We could do it in such a way that it suits those who are for cannabis and those who would rather avoid it. So, legal within certain approved areas. Decriminalised, can carry but smoking it banned in most public spaces. So, you can smoke it inside of a designated cafe, outlet or inside your own home. 

Perhaps we could start with being able to smoke regular tobacco inside of a designated cafe or outlet.

This could well boost the tourist industry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Perhaps we could start with being able to smoke regular tobacco inside of a designated cafe or outlet.

This could well boost the tourist industry.

The smoking ban was the only useful thing the government has ever done even if it was copying what everyone else was doing!