Middle

Amadeus

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Great contribution!

I never rant. But I do get slightly annoyed sometimes...

“Bipedal privilege”, “blacking up” - that was a rant PK. Your apparent misunderstanding does a pretty good job of explaining the issues actually, in an ironic way. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wrighty said:

“Bipedal privilege”, “blacking up” - that was a rant PK. Your apparent misunderstanding does a pretty good job of explaining the issues actually, in an ironic way. 

Be sure to tell the surgeon who removed your sense of humour that the operation was a complete success.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, wrighty said:

This may be a one off but I agree with PK on this.

Theres nothing wrong with a rant, or even being annoyed when it’s justified 

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This may be a one off but I agree with PK on this.

Theres nothing wrong with a rant, or even being annoyed when it’s justified 

If you think finding out about white privilege in middle age is annoying, imagine being subjected to the alternative since birth.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve read this and feel very angry and disgusted.

Apart from its insulting and patronizing tone ( the “we must educate ourselves” etc) it includes a link to some output from Al Jazeera.

This stuff from Al Jazeera states ( it doesn’t even imply) that Brexit supporters are racists. To quote “ far right sentiment which spread hate about immigrants “

What on earth is a charity established to look after the welfare of children is doing spending donations, given in good faith, on this sort of political propaganda?

I write as a non racist, left leaning person who supported Brexit as a means to return self determination to the UK.

Firstly nowhere that I can see does it state “we must educate ourselves”. The nearest I can see is “At Barnardo’s we believe, as the UK’s largest children’s charity in the UK, we have a responsibility to raise awareness of all issues affecting children - no matter how difficult or uncomfortable

When I posted I had not read the additional links. I thought the main article covered the relevant point but the article you refer to does not state “that Brexit supporters are racists” and the quote you posted that “far right sentiment which spread hate about immigrants” is selective and by missing out the immediate preceding word totally misleading in that in that what the article states is that the Brexit vote was “boosted by far-right sentiment” Omitting the word “boosted” totally changes the meaning of the sentence. I think it is perfectly fair to say the Brexit vote was “boosted” by such sentiment and the rise in reported “hate crime” in the immediate aftermath of the Brexit result does give it some credence. It does not state, or even imply in my view, that all Brexit supporters were racists. That an element were seems fair comment.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

It seems that "White Privilege" equates to "not understanding" what it is like to be a POC which means you are therefore "ignorant" of what it's like which means you need "educating" of course.

Err no that does not what it means. 

It is rather hard to discuss white privilege if people are not aware what it means. I equate to discussing whether a goal was offside with somebody who does not understand the actual rule and believes that only one defender needs to be nearer the goal when the ball is played forward for a player to be onside. As they believe they are right they won't check the rule so are happy to argue the point based on an incorrect understanding. Deliberately misunderstanding is a very good way of avoiding to properly address an issue.

4 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Err no that does not what it means. 

It is rather hard to discuss white privilege if people are not aware what it means. I equate to discussing whether a goal was offside with somebody who does not understand the actual rule and believes that only one defender needs to be nearer the goal when the ball is played forward for a player to be onside. As they believe they are right they won't check the rule so are happy to argue the point based on an incorrect understanding. Deliberately misunderstanding is a very good way of avoiding to properly address an issue.

I am sure "Deliberately misunderstanding is a very good way of avoiding to properly address an issue" is true. So for clarity what is your definition of "White Privilege" then?

This can go two ways:

Turgid verbiage that saps the will to live

A good laugh

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I am sure "Deliberately misunderstanding is a very good way of avoiding to properly address an issue" is true. So for clarity what is your definition of "White Privilege" then?

This can go two ways:

Turgid verbiage that saps the will to live

A good laugh

I would suggest that you read the link I posted but you would probably take offence on the basis that you would interpret that I am suggesting you educate yourself.

3 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I would suggest that you read the link I posted but you would probably take offence on the basis that you would interpret that I am suggesting you educate yourself.

Gutted....

What link?

10 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Firstly nowhere that I can see does it state “we must educate ourselves”. The nearest I can see is “At Barnardo’s we believe, as the UK’s largest children’s charity in the UK, we have a responsibility to raise awareness of all issues affecting children - no matter how difficult or uncomfortable

Nearer still is “ continue to educate ourselves” under the paragraph entitled Concrete Steps

8 hours ago, Lost Login said:

That does rather suggest that you you don't read all the posts on a thread you comment on which may explain some of your comments

Do you mean the Bernardo's one? I started to read it, quickly realised it was the same old same old and decided I could happily live without more of it.

Frankly this post of mine from a few weeks ago has far more impact and therefore weight:

On 9/19/2021 at 12:58 PM, P.K. said:

Black.jpg.139214ebb8ed7c88e7aa7f3986ab6df3.jpg

Britain’s equality watchdog ‘colluding in denial of institutional racism’

Former employee accuses Equality and Human Rights Commission of ‘racial gaslighting’ in letter sent to colleagues

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/19/britains-equality-watchdog-colluding-in-denial-of-institutional-racism

50 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Do you mean the Bernardo's one? I started to read it, quickly realised it was the same old same old and decided I could happily live without more of it.

Frankly this post of mine from a few weeks ago has far more impact and therefore weight:

Nothing you ( or any of us ) post on here has any impact or weight. You take yourself and MF far too seriously. 

If you want your random ramblings to be given weight and to have impact then you should post elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1