Middle

8 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

She could have still wasted her time knocking on thousands of doors without getting to Port Erin.

Are you grumpy that she didn’t personally knock on your own personal door?

Not just my door - my sister's, Mum's, Will said not on his - any in Port Erin as far as I can tell. Nor did she have supporters outside our poling station and Manx Radio's exit poll had her in third until the results from PSM came through.  Also her manifesto is very PSM centric, the only mention of Port Erin is that we should continue to be shafted by the Cosy Nook.

Anyway not canvasing me personally would not have been a problem, if she has not then decided she was too important to consult the people she was supposedly elected to represent about the most important decision she is going to have to make in the next five years. This is exactly what Skelly did when he was first elected (nominate the MHK for Ramsey to be CM).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't vote for her, but I live in PE and she did knock on my door in fairness.  Quite early on if I recall correctly.

JW knocked.

Didn't see ALN, but he had put a manifesto through our letterbox whilst we were out so I assume he tried to.

Mark Kemp sent a stunt double.

14 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

[Hayward] could have still wasted her time knocking on thousands of doors without getting to Port Erin.

Not really - Port Erin makes up half the votes of Rushen constituency.  There won't be thousands outside it[1].  If she ignored Port Erin completely she would be very lucky to get elected, though she clearly did better in PSM.

[1]  According to the 2016 Census, 1611 households in Port Erin; 881 in Port St Mary; 651 in Rushen.

14 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

She could have still wasted her time knocking on thousands of doors without getting to Port Erin.

Are you grumpy that she didn’t personally knock on your own personal door?

Declan is obviously a lot nicer than I am, but if you direct that question to me, my answer is quite honestly YES I am grumpy. Juan really did pound the beat and knock on as many doors as he could. Most times when I was in both villages on the run up to the elections I would see him canvassing - I appreciate Michelle isn’t as fit as young Watty but she can drive! Juan and I had a very ‘challenging’ conversation on my doorstep, that, along with an email gained him my vote. He has let me down by taking the Speakers job again though!

I saw fuck all of the green lad, and the teacher fella who can’t disclose why he can’t teach anymore without having to kill you, was conspicuous by his absence too.

As Declan rightly points out, she had no representation in PE on the occasions I went past, and when I voted (only Juan had a representative actually). Again, Declan is right, MH’s manifesto is PSM centric, and she has jumped onto the save the Nosy Cook bandwagon to gain extra votes. Similarly, Tim Glover probably gained the votes of the gated community of New South Africa (Derbyhaven) by slagging Dandara off over the hotel, without listening to the other side of the story - buying this type of lobbying doesn’t bode well for any politician.

I wonder if the MH would have been closer to JW (2384) with her 1386 votes, as opposed to just ahead of Mark Kemp (1163) if she had managed to knock on more doors?

Roger M: I would love to know the village breakdown of her and Juan’s votes, I suspect MH was the second vote choice of many because of her public profile - more bad than good! Maybe, she only canvassed the lower flat area of Port Erin, which is why she didn’t knock on my door?

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not really - Port Erin makes up half the votes of Rushen constituency.  There won't be thousands outside it[1].  If she ignored Port Erin completely she would be very lucky to get elected, though she clearly did better in PSM.

[1]  According to the 2016 Census, 1611 households in Port Erin; 881 in Port St Mary; 651 in Rushen.

Roger, I find it very hard to justify 2 MHK’s for so few households.

• Like 1

All the loudest voices for retaining the Cosy Nook were from PSM or Rushen - because once every few years they had a pleasant summer hour there with an ice cream. Of course the location would still be the same, the sea, the cliffs, the lighthouse, Milner's Tower, the harbour, the beach - if they leveled the Nook but hey it's heritage there's rates don't pay. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree, and in a months time loads of non residents will be enjoying the fireworks at the expense of our rate payers too.

I don’t recall Michelle when she was Chair of PSMC offering to help finance the Nosy Cook works during her tenure. 

14 hours ago, Will Halsall said:

I don’t recall Michelle when she was Chair of PSMC offering to help finance the Nosy Cook works during her tenure.

.....or much else really. Failed MLC bid ?  Losing the Post Office ?

Didn't they sell the toilets round the back of her house ? And didn't also Government bail them out with the manxonia down the back of the couch money?

Edited by Apple

6 hours ago, Apple said:

.....or much else really. Failed MLC bid ?  Losing the Post Office ?

Didn't they sell the toilets round the back of her house ? And didn't also Government bail them out with the manxonia down the back of the couch money?

She did very well out of the regeneration scheme!

The photo on Manx Radio News of her and Juan standing shoulder to shoulder in solidarity outside the post office is crass tbh, this was on the cards for months, but as you said on the PO thread, it wasn’t important enough to them during canvassing!

Edited by Will Halsall
  • Like 2