Jump to content

Onchan


Recommended Posts

On 9/4/2021 at 10:10 AM, 2112 said:

Peter Willers is definitely an unsuitable person, but that’s the election rules here. He certainly isn’t ‘whiter than white’. Lots of pent up angst against the establishment for perceived past wrongs? It’s down to the voters to decide who they want to represent them for the next five years. 

I feel sorry for Peter K as it’s almost like he’s setting his political legacy on fire by actively supporting such a candidate. He was a phenomenal MHK for many years and a lot of people really respect him but this guy is simply toxic with a capital “T”.  You might as well be Hitlers campaign sponsor.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I feel sorry for Peter K as it’s almost like he’s setting his political legacy on fire by actively supporting such a candidate. He was a phenomenal MHK for many years and a lot of people really respect him but this guy is simply toxic with a capital “T”.  You might as well be Hitlers campaign sponsor.

It is rather incredible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I feel sorry for Peter K as it’s almost like he’s setting his political legacy on fire by actively supporting such a candidate. He was a phenomenal MHK for many years and a lot of people really respect him but this guy is simply toxic with a capital “T”.  You might as well be Hitlers campaign sponsor.

Can anyone please link what did Peter Karran really achieve in his tenure in public office. I haven't seen or read about anything that stands out. With most of Lib Vans things it seem they chase after monies already spent, then say look at me. Film industry, Mount Murry. The Pamana Papers, The ICIJ Offshore Leaks Database  https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/   Lewis Hamilton VAT reclaim, were in Mr Karran Term of office as a MHK.      

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Peter held the government to account, except when he joined the government


So the holding the government to account on what, none of the above, which was so detrimental to the island in the next administration. All I can say is well done Peter Karran you really had your eye on the ball. Putting an FOI in to UK HM Revenue and Customs in 2018, about sums it up. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lewis_hamilton_not_paying_vat_on

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Film industry, Mount Murry. The Pamana Papers, The ICIJ Offshore Leaks Database  https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/   Lewis Hamilton VAT reclaim, were in Mr Karran Term of office as a MHK.      

To be fair even on the Mount Murray he’s now supporting one of the main providers of evidence to the committee whose whole testimony to the inquiry was effectively trashed as being ‘barely credible’ (ie, polite lawyer speak for a tissue of lies). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Holte End said:


So the holding the government to account on what, none of the above, which was so detrimental to the island in the next administration. All I can say is well done Peter Karran you really had your eye on the ball. Putting an FOI in to UK HM Revenue and Customs in 2018, about sums it up. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lewis_hamilton_not_paying_vat_on

 


Putting an FOI to UK Customs & Excise does not encompass Peter's efforts to hold IOM Government to account

Zac Hall too highlighted the follies of IOMG if my now admittedly faltering memory serves me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:


Putting an FOI to UK Customs & Excise does not encompass Peter's efforts to hold IOM Government to account

Zac Hall too highlighted the follies of IOMG if my now admittedly faltering memory serves me

Holding Government to account, please post a link, as like I say nothing spring to mind. What did he hold the government to account on, what did he actually stop or change by holding the government to account.  All I remember is Nursery Closures, really hold government to account, I wonder if this was one of his manifestoe pledges,http://www.isleofman.com/News/details/13592/nursery-closures-spark-heated-debate

Edited by Holte End
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Holding Government to account, please post a link, as like I say nothing spring to mind. What did he hold the government to account on, what did he actually stop or change by holding the government to account.  All I remember is Nursery Closures, really hold government to account, I wonder if this was one of his manifestoe pledges,http://www.isleofman.com/News/details/13592/nursery-closures-spark-heated-debate


It's next to impossible to hold government to account when you are in government

This is why to my mind we need an official leader of the opposition

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Barlow said:

Irrespective of the Uncle Albert connection, there's little doubt this guy would shake things up. Talks the talk sort of thing, plus fancies himself as Chief Minister.

If I was an Onchan voter I would have difficulty casting my second vote, but like most folk I think I would just 'play it safe'.

 

And he lost every time he took Uncle Albert to court. The only winner was Athol Streets finest.  I could imagine him if he was an MHK throwing good money after bad, as he is right and everyone else is wrong and we are all idiots too boot! Is he still a practicing legal eagle? Retired? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Is he still a practicing legal eagle? Retired? 

I think Willers is a qualified barrister in England (or he was), I don't think he was ever a Manx Advocate - I can't find him on the Law Society website.   There were actions between Willers and Gubay/his estate in England as well of even greater tedium.  Everyone involved should have been declared a vexatious litigant  and banned from courts anywhere in the world in my opinion, but that only normally happens when people run out of money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:


It's next to impossible to hold government to account when you are in government

This is why to my mind we need an official leader of the opposition

Karen sold out when he took a ministerial post and increased his pension as it’s based on highest salary.    
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...