Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Lonan3

Fully Elected Tynwald

I'm quite surprised that there doesn't seem to have been any reaction to the Steve Rodan interview on Manx Radio last week (Yes... sometimes we do actually miss Vader!) about the delay to the bill which would create a fully elected Tynwald.

I won't pretend to be entirely disinterested - Steve is my local MHK, I regard him as a friend, and have a lot of respect for him as a politician.

This item, however, went beyond personalities because it was a direct challenge to the Legislative Council to pull their fingers out and get on with it. The bill was approved in its present form by the House of Keys last November and submitted to LegCo for consideration. Since which time, as Steve said, there have been numerous meetings - many of them 'in camera' - to discuss and revise it and yet, ten months later, there is still no word of progress on it.

Are the Legco simply sitting on it so that it won't be possible to make all the necessary changes - including constituency boundaries - before the next general election? Is it simply an act of self-preservation on their part? Or are there genuine flaws in the proposals that need further consideration?

Most importantly, though - why does no-one (other than Steve) appear to be concerned about it?

Well this shower are not going to want to rush this through due to the fact that most would not get back in and have to work for a living lol.

i personally would rather just have the mhk's and scrap the MLC's, current system is constant passing of the buck from one to the other.

i reckon this will not happen till after the next election giving them at least an extra 5 years money.

This is an excellent item to question each and every prospective MHK about prior to next year's election.

With regard to the MLCs, it's an absolute nonsence to have a Chief Minister, or any other minister, not drawn from the pool of elected politicians.

We are regularly being made to look ridiculous by having the Treasury Minister standing in and answering questions on behalf of our Chief Minister.

We've witnessed Peter Karran attempting to answer questions on hospital matters because the Minister supposedly had her bottom firmly and securely glued to the MLC benches.

I truly believe that our politicians should be democratically elected by the electorate and not appointed by the unelected.

I would also be very interested to learn the date of the last time Mr Gelling was voted in during an election of any description.

I truly believe that our politicians should be democratically elected by the electorate and not appointed by the unelected.

Am in total agreement

The island needs to bring back Single Tranferrable Voting and re-order the votes of the constituencies. I don't understand why they got rid of STV in the first place, I know it was harder work to sort out but it was a better system that first past the post.

How exactly would we go about convincing a body of people to introduce changes taking large chunks out of their earnings?

How exactly would we go about convincing a body of people to introduce changes taking large chunks out of their earnings?

In the same way as they convince us to vote for them and then they form a Government that makes bad decisions and costs us large chunks out of our earnings? :angry:

Thanks Paul, I knew I meant to say something else!

No, seriously I thought voter apathy was a real problem here and in the UK, probably more so here where the effects of politics is more immediately felt?

(PS, I'll send my posts to you for editing before posting in future!!!!)

I have always thought that someone that it the choice of the majority that vote is better than the second preference of the minority

How would STV work in a two horse race, how would you square the one candidate situation of automatic election, as happened in Ramsey this week?

I have always thought that someone that it the choice of the majority that vote is better than the second preference of the minority

How would STV work in a two horse race, how would you square the one candidate situation of automatic election, as happened in Ramsey this week?