Rushen

3 hours ago, Declan said:

We always called that area Gansey Pottery when I was kid and the beach by the shore hotel was Gansey Beach.

It’s interesting how place names change and develop. The pottery only started in the mid 1960’s. 

I’d have called that area the Smelt and the area out to Gansey Point would have been Gansey. The fields behind the Ballaqueeney/Bayqueen I’d have called Rhenwyllan ( which means land division of the mill and goes back over 500 years ). The next bit of beach towards the Shore, in front of Shore Motors, I’d have called Brewery Beach. 

Ive heard the beach in front of the Shore called Mart beach and Colby beach - both by older people. That’s down to the area between the pub and the Colby River having once been a farmers mart.

Theres a building on the sea side of the road between the Shore Hotel and Kentraugh. It was used by prisoners on work parties from knockaloe in WW1 but started out as a bone mill for fertiliser operated by the Gawne’s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodders said:

I certainly did. I've lived all my 51 years down south and it just surprised me that 'Gansey Bay' was mentioned in a manifesto. I'd expect a prospective local MHK to know the correct name. Pedantic? Yes.

Couldn’t get wound up about it to be honest.

I would guess more people know what you mean when you say Ganesh bay than the other one I can’t spell.

To be honest, after asking the origional question, I didn't expect the thread to go like this. It's excellent. As an aside, I too used to call it Gansey beach @Declan, because that's what everyone called it. There is a close on the Ballafesson to Colby road called 'Carrick Bay View,' and in recent times, I've called the bay 'Carrick Bay.' What I find almost strange are the houses on Shore Road. Their addresses are Shore Road, Rushen. It's as if they haven't been designated a town, village or hamlet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders said:

What I find almost strange are the houses on Shore Road. Their addresses are Shore Road, Rushen. It's as if they haven't been designated a town, village or hamlet. 

That’s because they haven’t.

4 minutes ago, rodders said:

As an aside, I too used to call it Gansey beach @Declan, because that's what everyone called it. There is a close on the Ballafesson to Colby road called 'Carrick Bay View,' and in recent times, I've called the bay 'Carrick Bay.'

Bay ny Carrickey is the bay. It has several beaches, or stretches of beach, which have different names.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Ive heard the beach in front of the Shore called Mart beach and Colby beach - both by older people. That’s down to the area between the pub and the Colby River having once been a farmers mart.

Well it was Colby's Beach when you had to walk to one, being nearest. We lived across in 70's but spent lots of the summer at me Gran's or Auntie's in Colby and I thought all Manx beaches were stoney and only Wales had sandy beaches.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

That’s because they haven’t.

They're still Port St Mary there, like the Four Roads.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Bay ny Carrickey is the bay. It has several beaches, or stretches of beach, which have different names.

PSM had the Carrick Pub as well.

1 hour ago, Declan said:

They're still Port St Mary there, like the Four Roads.

PSM had the Carrick Pub as well.

Carrick is the rock in the middle of Bay ny Carrickey, with the light in the basket. Also known as Carthure.

Before the light it was a platform for shipwrecked sailors, a sort of poor mans tower of refuge. Reputed the platform was big enough for 7 as the crew of a Nickey was 7.

Port St Mary ends at Gansey Mill. The rest of Beach Road to the Shore Hotel is in Rushen. Although it’s possible the houses on Beach Road to Castletown Road are in PSM. Most of Castletown Road, almost to Four Roads is in Rushen.

12 minutes ago, Apple said:

IIRC someone suggested Mr Kemp was a whistle blower. (dared to air).

Does anyone know what about ?

The more I read issued by Kemp the more of an impression I form that he’s possibly a fantasist. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Apple said:

IIRC someone suggested Mr Kemp was a whistle blower. (dared to air).

Does anyone know what about ?

At the last election he raised the issue of non-returning graduates before anyone else. But that's hardly whistleblowing.

In the Moulton interview he hints that there are dark reasons why he can't go back to teaching. But that he can't talk about them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Declan said:

In the Moulton interview he hints that there are dark reasons why he can't go back to teaching. But that he can't talk about them. 

He must’ve been a housemaster in Slytherin.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:16 PM, John Wright said:

Carrick is the rock in the middle of Bay ny Carrickey, with the light in the basket. Also known as Carthure.

Thread drift I admit, but aren't the Carthure Rocks (/'Perch') the rocks off Gansey point, as distinct from the Carrick Rock itself?

Edited by Yibble