Helicopter tours

trmpton

3 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

2 hour flight into the Grand Canyon and back, with dawn breakfast = £130pp.

30 minute flight over a Norwegian Glacier = £95pp

Not sure a 18 minute whip around the South Coast compares really?

Did a sunrise trip over Ayers Rock etc and only about £500 including champagne on landing back 

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s being run by Luvi. Daft thing is it is working under a UK Air Operators Certificate because the IOM CAA can’t issue them for some reason.

great way to see the Island. If he sets up a flight school as well he may get a few takers

not sure another flight school is allowed at ronaldsway

15 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s being run by Luvi. Daft thing is it is working under a UK Air Operators Certificate because the IOM CAA can’t issue them for some reason.

great way to see the Island. If he sets up a flight school as well he may get a few takers

The IOM CAA is subordinate to the UK CAA and its terms exclude any commercial or aerial work operations.

Helicopters are fun. It's an R44 though. Hm... I remember in Manila they weren't allowed to land in the city so we used an EC130 instead. Not sure if the mixed reputation is still justified. 

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

So why duplicate?

More bureaucracy 

For private and corporate operations the IOM Aviation Authority is very good. They work much better hours than the UK CAA, you can pick up the phone and talk to somebody who will give their name and, generally, call you back. They also get some things done much faster than the bigger authorities and keeping big aircraft on the ground is very expensive.

Not all the IOM bureaucrats are bad!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have never been in a helicopter, although it’s on the bucket list, that said I don’t really fancy a tour over the island.

I’ve heard it’s possible to befriend someone with a PPL and fly to various places by contributing to the fuel costs, is there any truth in that and I assume the fuel costs are astronomical? There was a time I quite fancied doing my PPL myself but there is absolutely no way I could afford it given the minimum amount of hours involved and when I last looked it was £150 a lesson (no doubt more now).

I had a trip on it last Wednesday with two friends (it was a present). Despite the reputation, it was remarkably stable and good fun.
One amusing aspect was it’s required to follow taxiways and the runway as if it was a plane..  

CFE1-FDCE-818-E-4-F71-9910-F13-D3-E981-F

Edited by joeyconcrete
  • Like 1

Many moons ago, before everyone had drones and when aerial photography was actually something special, a certain Mr Peters took me around the TT course in a Cessna while I hung out the side taking pics of the course. It was great fun and I should probably do it again. It wasn't very expensive. Certainly not the 800 quid needed for a whirly bird. 

TTCourse01.jpg

TTCourse03.jpg

TTCourse13.jpg

TTCourse14.jpg

TTCourse15.jpg

TTCourse19.jpg

TTCourse20.jpg

TTCourse21.jpg

TTCourse22.jpg

TTCourse27.jpg

TTCourse28.jpg

TTCourse30.jpg