Usual busy body Brit

26 minutes ago, display name said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/speed-cameras-could-improve-standard-of-driving-says-ex-rpu-chief/

If only these self important dolts actually put any effort into other problems on the island. Or better still,when they've left,mind their own business

Some pension on him though at our expense.

Has to keep up the pretense of doing something (whilst achieving nothing) to justify being paid in retirement more than a lot of more intligent people earn much less in the real world.

Have you seen the senior officers up at Police HQ lately?

Barely an A level between them, all on 70K plus and massive pensions when they retire at 50 and then come back on a contract

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Some pension on him though at our expense.

Has to keep up the pretense of doing something (whilst achieving nothing) to justify being paid in retirement more than a lot of more intligent people earn much less in the real world.

Barely an A level between them, all on 70K plus and massive pensions when they retire at 50 and then come back on a contract

Yes yes we know all that but he does seen to have a genuine interest in what goes on here?

• Like 2

"It's not about catching people out, and filling the coffers for the police Christmas party, it's about reducing casualties."

Oh yes it is! And just how many casualties are we having to reduce, Mr Flint?  Just what would be the cost-benefit analysis and don't come up with the 'every life is precious' trope - that was applied to COVID and it has wrecked the economy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Speed cameras have nothing to do with road safety other than to collect revenue, unless they were mobile covert cameras which is something i would actually support, a copper stood with a speed gun in full visibility in exactly the same places also serves no purpose. 
Something does need to be done about speeding though, I get tailgated fairly frequently through 30/40mph zones daily and on numerous occasions I’ve had drivers overtake me on the approach to an unrestricted sign (Hillberry is a good example) only for me to be stuck behind them, I then normally have to hold back because if I dare close the gap in an effort to aid overtaking they seem to become more erratic (I guess they don’t want the car they overtook, overtaking them) and I’m certainly not interested in pushing someone into going faster.

Fitting a dash cam has to be amongst the best and worst decisions I’ve made, I have to watch my speed like a hawk for fear of incriminating myself (I also tend to drive to the GPS recorded speed which is higher than my speedo) it’s the same with stopping/following distances. It definitely makes you drive more defensively,  perhaps more people would scrutinise their own driving if they had them fitted.

I’d also like to see a reporting feature for dash cam users, but perhaps with a 3 strike policy, 3 instances of terrible driving within say a 3 month period would hopefully rule out the occasional driving error and weed out the repeat offenders, I’d say a £100 fine, no points though, unless it’s phone use or say gross over speed.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, trmpton said:

My wife and I have had experience with one in particular on several occasions.  Ineffective and couldn't inspect a door knob,but you show him a vehicle doing over 30,he goes into frenzied excitement

Edited by display name
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, finlo said:

Yes yes we know all that but he does seen to have a genuine interest in what goes on here?

So much so he left for the "cheap" life. You know,tight as a ducks arse when it comes to mobile phone charges,couldn't wait to mention "fuel prices" even though at the time it cost less here and he'd only been gone 2 days.  It's just the usual guff these dimwits come out with

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, display name said:

So much so he left for the "cheap" life. You know,tight as a ducks arse when it comes to mobile phone charges,couldn't wait to mention "fuel prices" even though at the time it cost less here and he'd only been gone 2 days.  It's just the usual guff these dimwits come out with

Derek Flint raises some valid points, putting a different point to it, rather than the usual Chief Cuntstable dictatorial style. Remember last year when a National Speed Limit was introduced at HRH The Chief Minister and Ashies request? For fear of overloading the hospital. In fact there is more of a problem with cars going over on Marine Drive than loads of speeding. Incidentally I think that speed cameras in strategically placed locations may encourage slower and safer driving, and save on manpower. 

Now he has retired from the force, I think his views are reasonating more clearly, as unlike the Chief Cuntstable, they are politically motivated. Whether he lives here or back in the North West of England is totally irrelevant, I’m sure he had valid reasons for leaving - eg wanting to live near family. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

How many deaths or serious injuries a year are we talking about where a speed camera might have made a difference?

Would rather see that money and effort spent where it might male a tangible difference personally.  Like in mental health.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oooh, some early morning bitchiness on here! 

Still care deeply about the place, and there are people there whose safety matters to me.

have a listen to the actual interview rather than the clickbait headline. The biggest issue I have is that the IOMG introduced a National Road Safety Strategy,and just like every other strategy, proceeded to do sod all about it. 

I was asked to do the interview, rather than seeking out the opportunity. And it has served its ultimate purpose. Just like on Facebook, it’s got you talking about it. Any backswipes at me are what they are.

interesting comment on the imposition of the 40 limit last year. I did ask “who came up with that figure, and why?”. Never got an answer. 

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Oooh, some early morning bitchiness on here! 

Still care deeply about the place, and there are people there whose safety matters to me.

have a listen to the actual interview rather than the clickbait headline. The biggest issue I have is that the IOMG introduced a National Road Safety Strategy,and just like every other strategy, proceeded to do sod all about it. 

I was asked to do the interview, rather than seeking out the opportunity. And it has served its ultimate purpose. Just like on Facebook, it’s got you talking about it. Any backswipes at me are what they are.

interesting comment on the imposition of the 40 limit last year. I did ask “who came up with that figure, and why?”. Never got an answer. 

Compulsory re tests will be the easiest way to improve the quality of driving. And because people will pay for them the cost is negligible, in fact it generates more governemnt jobs which has to be a good think for the lucky few who get them.  Job security for life and a big fat pension.

Everyone is a winner.

9 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Compulsory re tests will be the easiest way to improve the quality of driving. And because people will pay for them the cost is negligible, in fact it generates more governemnt jobs which has to be a good think for the lucky few who get them.  Job security for life and a big fat pension.

Everyone is a winner.

Yep, safer people are part of the Safe System approach 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Yep, safer people are part of the Safe System approach 

At least 80 percent of those on the road wouldn't pass a test if they took it today.

Manx Radio ran a (pointless) story about 75 percent of cars no longer having a manual handbrake.  Loads of old duffers can't work them properly.

The same old duffers who still do cadence braking in their ABS equipped vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cameras - yes please,  with postal fines. No challenges accepted.  The type of traffic has changed over the years - much heavier and faster. Work vans / heavy good vehicles especially. 

20 is plenty in the villages, 40 elsewhere. 

And as for the young racers - if they can afford the car and the fuel, they can afford the fines if they break the law.

It's for everyone's safety. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1