Usual busy body Brit

21 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The IAM Roadsmart courses filled the void. Good value for money.

I've done the IAM bike test. It's hilarious how polite and observant people suddenly are, when you've a friendly copper on a fully marked BMW right behind you 😄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

I've done the IAM bike test. It's hilarious how polite and observant people suddenly are, when you've a friendly copper on a fully marked BMW right behind you 😄

Same.

IAM car and bike and do refresher training every few years.

I am a long way from being the perfect driver but do notice when being a passenger that a lot of people wouldn't pass a basic test if they had to.

Reading the road ahead and anticipating others behaviour seem to be the main things I would say I picked up for the advanced training.

It is amazing how often you are in the passenger seat and can see a situation developing well before the driver notices and reacts. (Including taxi rides, professional drivers my arse)

I get regular bollockings from the Mrs for driving "too fast" on open clear roads or crossing the broken white lines.  Yet she drives much more quickly around town than I ever would, and much closer to other vehicles etc.

I really would encourage everyone to contact the IAM and get signed up.

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

The current lot of speed limits need to be reviewed really, some don’t make any sense whatsoever, the 30mph limit outside King Bills is a good example, outside school hours its no worse than outside Braddan primary school, so either Braddan should be a 30mph or King Bills should be a 40mph, I guess that now a new housing estate is being built there then 30mph is probably correct but that’s not to say in the past it probably should’ve been a 40.

There are a number of stop junctions that should also be give ways and a number of give ways that really should be stop junctions too.

King Bill's does make kind of a sense as there are a number of driveways with limited visibility opening straight onto the road there. Can't think of anything similar outside Braddan school - maybe one and an estate junction?

Said it before and I'll say it again - no fixed speed cameras, just mobile and regularly moved to random places, not the same 4 or 5 over and over.

Also, change the laws, why should they be easily visible?

I'm someone who likes to drive at pace but recognise that there is a time and a place

• Like 3

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

Some people should not be driving though. I was following someone doing 45-50 mph and couldn't get past them. We came to a village so I slowed to 30 and they sailed through the village still doing 45-50!

It's the UK equivalent of someone driving merrily along the middle lane of the motorway oblivious to what is going on around them.

Same type of people who have their wing mirrors directed at the pavement or anywhere at all. When you are following someone look at their wing mirrors, you should be able to see them - for them to see you. Often this is not the case.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joebean said:

I don't think a rational argument could be made that lower speed doesn't lower the likelihood and severity of collisions. The question here is whether the community of the Island wants to see lower speeds enforced throughout the road network. Speed limits already exist and so does enforcement of them. My guess is that most people here, if asked, would reject fixed speed cameras on the grounds that they would be largely placed to catch the unwary and raise revenue, rather than achieve Derek's laudable objectives. 

Ultimately, this is an issue of government. You can’t have a referendum on risk. It’s either dangerous or it isn’t . You either mitigate it or you don’t.

ultimately, there are the state’s art.2 obligations to protect life. They’ve voted in a Road Safety Strategy. It’s about bloody time they started doing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Ultimately, this is an issue of government. You can’t have a referendum on risk. It’s either dangerous or it isn’t . You either mitigate it or you don’t.

ultimately, there are the state’s art.2 obligations to protect life. They’ve voted in a Road Safety Strategy. It’s about bloody time they started doing. 

Now if only drivers were explained to  about the dangers of driving,or perhaps what the laws were,or even that "getting smashed" might affect their judgement.    Perhaps not?  Good job she wasn't speeding.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59455&headline=Drink-drive police officer sentenced&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020

Edited by display name

21 minutes ago, display name said:

Now if only drivers were explained to  about the dangers of driving,or perhaps what the laws were,or even that "getting smashed" might affect their judgement.    Perhaps not?  Good job she wasn't speeding.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59455&headline=Drink-drive police officer sentenced&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020

And I understand there was even more to this than is reported here...

There’s been a steady stream of these over the years. Don’t know this person. One was a genuine surprise- a real self destruct moment, and one many years ago was as a direct result of a breakdown. Two others went on to very high rank.

It is an issue.

13 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

There’s been a steady stream of these over the years. Don’t know this person. One was a genuine surprise- a real self destruct moment, and one many years ago was as a direct result of a breakdown. Two others went on to very high rank.

It is an issue.

Seems odd there was no fine most people would get stiffed for around £1500.

13 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It is an issue.

The issue being police officers have issues? I’m sure they do as they do have to deal with some pretty harrowing situations. Can’t see how you deal with that unless you are insinuating something else -as you do a lot.

3 minutes ago, Anyone said:

The issue being police officers have issues? I’m sure they do as they do have to deal with some pretty harrowing situations. Can’t see how you deal with that unless you are insinuating something else -as you do a lot.

I think you are on the same page as I am. How good the force is at trauma effect  management is perhaps the question.

I know the lump it took out of me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I think you are on the same page as I am. How good the force is at trauma effect  management is perhaps the question.

I know the lump it took out of me.

Not surprised at that and I would imagine that goes for all those involved in emergency services. And it does need to be dealt with somehow. No idea how though. It’s not a job I would do even for the pension and even then I don’t know quite how generous that is anyway.