Guys and Dolls

trmpton

8 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Wouldn't straight people going to a gay bar expect to see gay people being affectionate towards each other? If they were the type to be offended, they shouldn't go to a gay bar!

I think that’s the irony of the whole thing and to make matters worse they specifically wanted to employ people within the LBGT community.

Just now, Annoymouse said:

I think that’s the irony of the whole thing and to make matters worse they specifically wanted to employ people within the LBGT community.

I just looked at the FB page, I can't understand how alienating your core customer base is a good business strategy, unless he doesn't see his business as a gay bar?

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I just looked at the FB page, I can't understand how alienating your core customer base is a good business strategy, unless he doesn't see his business as a gay bar?

I’m not sure the owner/manager sees it as a gay bar. I can understand that. There isn’t enough business for it to make money from the few gay customers who will go there. There’s a long list who won’t.

He makes whatever living he does make by taking exclusive venue party bookings, £100 per pop, £200 with DJ.  So there’s no guarantee it’ll be open on any evening, until 11pm or midnight.

He’s had a 10 year history of blowing off his LGBT clientele. 

Every time I think his attitude can’t get any worse, or more divisive, he proves me wrong.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Offending everyone equally seems to be the aim of the game, even ruling out the ‘gay bar’ element, fancy running any sort of bar/club in 2021 where no public display of affection is allowed? Meanwhile most bars/clubs in the world are just happy to have punters.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Wouldn't straight people going to a gay bar expect to see gay people being affectionate towards each other? If they were the type to be offended, they shouldn't go to a gay bar!

In one !! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Offending everyone equally seems to be the aim of the game, even ruling out the ‘gay bar’ element, fancy running any sort of bar/club in 2021 where no public display of affection is allowed? Meanwhile most bars/clubs in the world are just happy to have punters.

Its a safe bet to say he is not going to last long after his rants on his facebook page. He's not coming out of it well at all and rightly so , the muppet . Very sad in this day and age that this reared its head and whats even worse he doesnt get it why theres so much animosty to his stance .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m not sure the owner/manager sees it as a gay bar. I can understand that. There isn’t enough business for it to make money from the few gay customers who will go there. There’s a long list who won’t.

He makes whatever living he does make by taking exclusive venue party bookings, £100 per pop, £200 with DJ.  So there’s no guarantee it’ll be open on any evening, until 11pm or midnight.

Every time I think his attitude can’t get any worse, or more divisive, he proves me wrong.

To be fair, it being a gay bar is probably its only USP and an attraction for the straight customers who go there? There's plenty of better places to go if you just want to stand and chat or whatever.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

To be fair, it being a gay bar is probably its only USP and an attraction for the straight customers who go there? There's plenty of better places to go if you just want to stand and chat or whatever.

It’s not gay, it’s not even gay friendly ( as far as I can see ). And if that’s it’s USP I’m not up for being an exhibit in a zoo for the hen do customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You may want to re-word that..... 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s not gay, it’s not even gay friendly ( as far as I can see ). And if that’s it’s USP I’m not up for being an exhibit in a zoo for the hen do customers.

I understand that John, but it's an inescapable fact that some straight people will enjoy the risque environment, maybe they're not as straight as they like to think? I don't think it's any secret that it's meant to be a gay bar, wouldn't he be better throwing all his eggs in that basket, organising great nights out for gay people, and if a few straight people want to latch on, then all the merrier? As you say, it's not gay friendly, so what is it?

18 minutes ago, Max Power said:

G&D or something like it definitely has its place, I think gay clubs in general are most popular with the ladies, as it saves them getting hit on by creepy bastards every two seconds. If you go to a gay bar and just assume everyone is gay its actually quite an interesting dynamic, as a straight male, short of public displays of affection (which itself isn’t a great example as some are just flirtatious with everyone) it was actually really difficult to tell which females were gay/straight/bi, as such generally the female or the BFF would approach you first, almost like role reversal from a typical club environment. 

If i’m thinking of the same place (probably 8 years ago now) the best thing about G&Ds was probably the smoking area which was like a club within a club but it may be the place next door I’m thinking of? 

59 minutes ago, John Wright said:

He makes whatever living he does make by taking exclusive venue party bookings, £100 per pop, £200 with DJ. 

What does he charge for that service?