Guys and Dolls

trmpton

Just now, b4mbi said:
LGBTQIA+

there has to be a better collective noun than this ever growing acronym 

Welcome to the Alphabet city of sexuality and gender. 

Are acronyms nouns?

Join the trans debate, are you TRA or a TERF?

40 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Welcome to the Alphabet city of sexuality and gender. 

Given that gender is now considered non-binary by some, I'm surprised that the word bi-sexual hasn't been thrown onto the bonfire of bad words

2 hours ago, b4mbi said:
LGBTQIA+

???

there has to be a better collective noun than this ever growing acronym 

Heteronegatives

Since "on the spectrum" is taken. How about "on the rainbow"? 

1 hour ago, kevster said:

Given that gender is now considered non-binary by some, I'm surprised that the word bi-sexual hasn't been thrown onto the bonfire of bad words

I think Pansexual covers fancying anyone on the gender rainbow. And Bisexual covers fancying only pink and blue. 

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It's no wonder the old ones get it wrong.

Yes , I'm old and it all really scrambles my head as I havent got a clue about all these shortcuts. I am happy though that I dont care whatever sexuality someone is and thankfully never have . Interestingly though on the facebook site for GandD's many were referring to being queer which I found even more confusing as that to me is derogatory based on my long standing understanding of the word. Happy to learn and be educated though . 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes , I'm old and it all really scrambles my head as I havent got a clue about all these shortcuts. I am happy though that I dont care whatever sexuality someone is and thankfully never have . Interestingly though on the facebook site for GandD's many were referring to being queer which I found even more confusing as that to me is derogatory based on my long standing understanding of the word. Happy to learn and be educated though . 

There has been a real drive, though a polarising one, to reclaim the word for the community.

A good proportion of younger LGBT+ folks will describe themselves using queer as an umbrella term for identifying as not cisgender or not straight. It’s where LGBTQ comes from. There are various queer art movements and so on too  

Understandably, especially folks who had to deal with things being far worse off, don’t necessarily identify with the term. As their connotations with it are very different. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think Pansexual covers fancying anyone on the gender rainbow. And Bisexual covers fancying only pink and blue. 

Not quite, Bisexual just means to be attracted to more than one gender, so not limited to just male & female and Pansexual is being attracted to someone regardless of gender. Isle of Pride did a post about this just the other day and I think Joe Lycett covers it well in one of his standups: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks it is hard. Even for liberal minded Gen Xers like me. I rather assumed that as opinions grew less entrenched and rules were equalised the need to identify as straight or gay would fall away and people would date whoever took their fancy without it being a defining characteristic. But Millennials seem to want to identify by sexuality the way we identified by music - Mods and Rockers, or Punks and Goths.  

• Like 4

if you're white and have an afro you are considered to be cultural appropriating which apparently offends who you are copying and you're the offender. on the other hand, if you have a cock and want to be treated like you have fanny and are gender appropriating , suddenly you're the victim and everyone should respect your choice.  

• Like 2