doing without land line?

doc.fixit

Hi folks, could anyone help explain how we could get rid of the landline and still get the internet?

MT and Sure just seem to talk techno with no real explanation.

I know fibre will eventually arrive but who knows when.

I understand that we could use a smart phone as a 'hotspot' so if that's possible does it inhibit the use of the phone while that's happening? Can we use two computers at the same time, (an i pad and a lap top) off one phone?

Are there any other methods of doing what we want?

Many thanks if anyone answers 'cos we are totally baffled but want cut out the massive expense of a landline.

Well, how's the internet going to get into the house unless you use the wireless / 5G option?

5G via 'phone could be OK but reliability?

32 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I understand that we could use a smart phone as a 'hotspot' so if that's possible does it inhibit the use of the phone while that's happening? Can we use two computers at the same time, (an i pad and a lap top) off one phone?

Yes you can do this, but there are plenty of mifi or 4g routers on the market too which are a better choice than using your phone if you are thinking long term, just drop a sure data sim in it, run plenty of devices.

You can buy a gizmo - like the flashing thing you've got in the corner (the router) - that instead of connecting to your phone line connects to the 4G wireless network. You would need to buy a SIM Card (like the one in your mobile phone) to pay for the data you use via the gizmo.

• Like 2

I see the unlimited MAX from sure is now priced at £30 per month not the £20 previously stated.

I currently pay £56 per month with MT which is broadband, line rental and router payment.

There is a selection of 4g routers on Amazon @doc.fixit. If you look at the reviews and questions it will help you to understand how it all works.

19 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Teapot, thanks for that but it doesn't mean anything to me. Any chance of an explanation?

Sorry Doc, didn't see your reply. Declans answer pretty much covers it. Sure sell mifi boxes. Shame the Port Erin shopthat closed down, there was a scottish guy who worked in there who was actually helpful, dunno if he's gone to the Douglas store but my experience in there is not great. I'd expect MT to sell them too, but sod them. Currys sell some 4g routers, but their staff are trained to sell you the insurance crap rather than the product so good luck there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 2:17 PM, doc.fixit said:

Thanks, where do I get one or at least find out the cost and what is the gizmo called so I don't sound as daft about these things as I actually am?

We journey back and forth a lot making a landline impractical on a cost basis. So we purchased one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5573bs-322-Portable-Mobile-Router-White/dp/B079NZKVKY

Installed with a SURE PAYG 4G sim card it's perfect for what we want. When on island we pay £20 via the Mysure App for 30 days of unlimited data. It's fast enough to drive an HD program via the Humax Freesat we use which is all we care about.

It would probably be cheaper via a contract.

The downside is it's powered by a mobile phone battery. You could leave it constantly on charge I suppose but there are models that are mains connected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 12:12 PM, GD4ELI said:

Well, how's the internet going to get into the house unless you use the wireless / 5G option?

5G via 'phone could be OK but reliability?

Satellite for one

Mr Musks Starlink is now appearing in a few homes on the island.

Not cheap up front as technically still a beta program(I think), but likely to be a big player in the future.

4g is great for most light to medium users via a 4g router.

Stating the obvious though, check performance via whichever provider you intend to use via a speed test app on 4g from a mobile in your house before committing.  Doesn't work everywhere but is a great solution for some.

• Like 1

Well, we are grappling with both Sure and MT's offerings at the moment and trying to understand the nomenclature such as 100 gigabytes and wondering if that will be enough input. We don't stream videos or anything like that but we do use Youtube and when the grandkids are here they seem to be on their devices  a lot.

In the end it's just cost that is the deciding factor. 

We'll get their but thanks very much for everyone's input..............thanks.

I got ride of my MT landline several years ago and went with Sure 4G wi-fi router. It's reasonable most of the time but does slow down occasionally depending on traffic on the system. As long as you can receive a decent signal you are OK. I started with a router from Sure but changed it to a Huawei one later which is more dependable.

• Like 1