"Arthur Daley" Estate Agent practices

Manx Bean

How rife is this at present? - https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/reassurances-estate-agents-are-highly-regulated-after-allegations/

I know I personally experienced this in the late 1980's when having put in an offer on a house that was accepted, I arrived home one day to find a hand-written note through my letter box from the agent say the vendors had accepted a higher offer. I rang the Vendor and they knew nothing about another offer! The irony? It was Cowley Groves....

• Like 1

It's existed on the Island since I first moved over here, almost 40 years ago. That clown Creane is the worst of the bunch. Didn't do his 'profession' any favours when he started driving around in a Rolls (or was it a Bentley?).

• Like 2

i heard rumours a few years ago of a certain estate agent valuing  your house before effectively  buying it themselves and then  selling it on a short while after at quite a profit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's existed on the Island since I first moved over here, almost 40 years ago. That clown Creane is the worst of the bunch. Didn't do his 'profession' any favours when he started driving around in a Rolls (or was it a Bentley?).

Bentley.

I always apply the principle that I should be driving something that illustrates my business is successful, but without taking the mick out of my clients.  A massive car that cost six figures is taking the mick.

Estate agents on island are as crooked as anything and not even any good.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Bentley.

I always apply the principle that I should be driving something that illustrates my business is successful, but without taking the mick out of my clients.  A massive car that cost six figures is taking the mick.

My position as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Bentley.

Estate agents on island are as crooked as anything and not even any good.

They must be good at something if they're driving Bentley etc.

You're only guessing really.  If you had a business and it was very successful you might think differently. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

And if my memory serves me correct, he was caught driving a few years ago on a provisional licence as he had actually never passed a driving test in Ireland, and forgot when he got here. Or something along those lines.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

And if my memory serves me correct, he was caught driving a few years ago on a provisional licence as he had actually never passed a driving test in Ireland, and forgot when he got here. Or something along those lines.

No insurance ,no licence , tax ,leaving the scene of a accident and over the limit . The full hit but only a ban and a fine of around 2 k from memory . One of Geoff Karrans finer moments . 

Edited by Numbnuts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Flyingfemme said:

Happening all over the place at the moment. The market is hot and people are greedy. The only way to fight it is for buyers to tell sellers and agents to take a hike.

You are right and it will get worse. Estate Agents do not give themselves a good name and it’s down to one or two businesses and individuals. Forget this administration taking any action against any malpractice, as HRH The Chief Minister has quite clear said the matters are priorities for the next administration. So by that measure, the next two sittings before dissolving of Tynpotwald are lame duck sittings. Money for Nothing …….

As you say the market is hot and IOMG and HRH The Chief Minister groupies are claiming the island is booooooming. In the meantime, Douglas is in squalor and undeveloped sites are car parks. The developers of the old Lord Street bus station need to be given an ultimatum either start building or government need to seize back the site. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

They must be good at something if they're driving Bentley etc.

You're only guessing really.  If you had a business and it was very successful you might think differently. 

You mean being good at not being honest and truthful with their customers? If it happened 40 years ago (and I know it did) then why is it still a problem and having to defend themselves by saying they're well regulated (which if they were then this would be a non-story)? Or are they likeable rogues? Where's Dilli when you need him?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The developers of the old Lord Street bus station need to be given an ultimatum either start building or government need to seize back the site. 

They'e just applied for planning again to operate that space as a car park. They'll get it this time too.

If any Estate Agents are being a bit shady, its for those who think they are being fed lies or untruths to make formal complaints to the relevant authorties or governing bodies.

I read a little bit about it on Facebook the other day, but it just seems to be third hand rumours without any actual proof.

Posted (edited)

Been looking at various properties over the last 6 months, all properties within budget have ended up in some sort of bidding war, we had first viewing on one property only for the agent to turn it into some sort of unofficial open day, within minutes an offer of the asking price was made and any further offers would have to be above that.......... no thanks. Another the seller decided to go with a lower offer because it was a young family starting out? That pissed us off, our first thought, was it just the agent just securing a property for their mate? Now it seems Estate Agents are picking numbers out of a hat and seeing how high they can push the prices up, we’ve effectively been priced out the market.

Having done a viewing with most agents I can say there is some I’d happily buy/sell through and others I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole, even to the extent it depends what office the agent has come from, one is brilliant, the other was absolutely hopeless. Its tough because I understand they’re busy and under pressure, but I absolutely hate being rushed through a property. There is a certain MD of a company that really ought to have his bloody pressure taken, was like a coiled spring, I wouldn’t go as far to say aggressive but certainly very assertive.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 1

I love the misleading pictures on one of the newer agents.

Always a laugh to see the shape of the tv on the living room wall to see how much the image has been stretched to make the room look bigger.

Surely this just leads to a first impression of disappointment when people actually view the place.

• Like 1