Establishment of a Regulatory Authority

A new consultation is being touted by the Cabinet Office. 
What a load of total waffle, very hard to understand, even for intelligent intellectual types and avid politics followers. I’ll be surprised if any Tynpotwalders truly understand. One bit I do understand, is the words chairperson and remuneration. I certainly can see another layer of regulation, and whilst they say it will be independent, nothing here is truly independent or run at arms length. 

Establishment of a Regulatory Authority - Cabinet Office of the Isle of Man Government - Citizen Space. consult.gov.im 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

What's it going to regulate and which authority's going to regulate it...?

It’s a confusing document/consultation, would prefer if they want to consult then perhaps easy to understand language, and a simple introduction to set out what they want, and their aims and objectives. As it is it’s real Civil Service bollocks, Harmer should know better.

Does anyone else understand and can give a simple translated version? 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, 2112 said:

As it is it’s real Civil Service bollocks, Harmer should know better.

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Whew! I needed a good laugh, so thanks :thumbsup:

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s a confusing document/consultation, would prefer if they want to consult then perhaps easy to understand language, and a simple introduction to set out what they want, and their aims and objectives. As it is it’s real Civil Service bollocks, Harmer should know better.

Does anyone else understand and can give a simple translated version? 

So you are (yet again) running off at the mouth without the first idea what it is actually about?

Have a read of it.  It'll help immensely. 

• Haha 2

Reads like a consultation on something which is already decided. So I wouldn't waste time on it. 

In a general sense, grouping all the 'telling you off' bits of govt under a new management structure and with a new board, and the consultation is asking (though we already decided) how much do you, the public, think politicians should be able to fuck around in that space?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, The Chief said:

dodgy planning deals are what fuel MHK's foreign holidays and house renovations there's no way those brown envelopes will see the light of day.

Except that most MHKs aren’t  involved in planning. There is a political chair, but has he been jetting off, or building? And the minister, after an application determined by an inspector because it’s ether, 1. Been called in, or, 2. On Appeal. So that’s potentially only 2 out of 33.

Most decisions are made by planning officers  under delegated authority.

• Thanks 1

My ghod! This is straight out of the same bureaucrat textbook that the gem: “The fact is, this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better,” came from.

The end result - overpaid civil-servants sat around in endless meetings for the next 20 years achieving the square-root of b##ger-all, making decisions that would only affect 0.1% of the population in any eventuality  all in the name of 'efficient' government when they wouldn't recognize efficiency if it bit their arses ten time a day.

'We' are a glorified parish council, for goodness sake - not creating policy to run the planet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

My ghod! This is straight out of the same bureaucrat textbook that the gem: “The fact is, this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better,” came from.

The end result - overpaid civil-servants sat around in endless meetings for the next 20 years achieving the square-root of b##ger-all, making decisions that would only affect 0.1% of the population in any eventuality  all in the name of 'efficient' government when they wouldn't recognize efficiency if it bit their arses ten time a day.

'We' are a glorified parish council, for goodness sake - not creating policy to run the planet. 

I had a read. It’s not well explained. But it does attempt to address issues within government departments where the department is a service provider, a regulator of that service and the investigator of breaches, enforcer/prosecutor and the judge and jury.

Thats how we used to deal with benefit or work permit or dozens of other appeals against decisions against administrative decisions. 20 years ago we removed the appeals administration to the tribunals section of Courts. 

Having a regulatory and enforcement body, to oversee some government actions and services, with an exterior appeal system outside that, should increase answerability, responsibility and transparency.

But the consultation is too vague to elicit a meaningful response.

• Like 1