Iom transport Go cards

Got a few days of work so thought I might as well get a platinum go card for the railways go up Snaefell walk back to Laxey like I did quite often before kids and stuff put the handbrake on. Looked online and it said can take up to 10 working days to deliver no hassles I thought I'll just go to the welcome centre at the sea terminal get one sorted straight away get on the tram today.  Not so easy still takes the ten days. When I used to have a rail pass you brought a passport photo to the railway station they got a pass put the photo in it and stuck it down and that was it of you went there and then. Progress. I then thought about a go explore pass, the sort you would have to ride the buses and trains for a week on you holidays. Turns out you can't rock up and get one of them either have to order in advance how do it take so long in a world where most everything is instant. 

14 minutes ago, lowell thurber said:

Got a few days of work so thought I might as well get a platinum go card for the railways go up Snaefell walk back to Laxey like I did quite often before kids and stuff put the handbrake on. Looked online and it said can take up to 10 working days to deliver no hassles I thought I'll just go to the welcome centre at the sea terminal get one sorted straight away get on the tram today.  Not so easy still takes the ten days. When I used to have a rail pass you brought a passport photo to the railway station they got a pass put the photo in it and stuck it down and that was it of you went there and then. Progress. I then thought about a go explore pass, the sort you would have to ride the buses and trains for a week on you holidays. Turns out you can't rock up and get one of them either have to order in advance how do it take so long in a world where most everything is instant. 

That's just government being government. Why do something in 10 minutes when you can make it take 10 days?

FWIW I wouldn't risk a ride on one of those Snaefell runaways.  

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Edited by AlanShimmin
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, lowell thurber said:

Ive had Go Explore cards issued at both the Sea terminal and Douglas steam train station,and they worked right away,ive also had them topped up again,no problems.

2 hours ago, lowell thurber said:

Looked online and it said can take up to 10 working days to deliver

Surely it would be easier obtain if a tourist on holiday ?

Is this a new Covid thing ?

I'm still amazed that any load you put on those cards isn't credited instantly unless you do it in person in the sea terminal shop. Quickly adding a few trips online in the morning before you head to the office? Tough luck mate, takes up to 24 hours to be credited. 

Also, I found it a bit puzzling that during lockdown, when they told people not to use cash and use Go Cards instead, they actually closed the shop, blocked the machine that sells Go Cards, and made people travel through town to the railway station. 

2 hours ago, Apple said:

Surely it would be easier obtain if a tourist on holiday ?

Is this a new Covid thing ?

Platinum Cards are really aimed at the locals as they "allow unlimited travel [...] for one year (360 days)"[1].  Though a rail enthusiast visiting might find they were worth it, as it would only take about half a dozen journeys to cover the cost.  Like all IOM Transport's travel schemes it's all massively more elaborate than it needs to be and full of all sort of unnecessary security and bureaucracy.  As ever you expect the extra cost is the aim not the side effect.

Platinum Cards do require a photo on them which might explain why there is delay in issuing them, though I can't see why that would apply if you went to the Welcome Centre where they say they can take the photo there and then.   You can also get them for dogs[2], though it fails to specify if you need a photo of the dog.

[1]  You'll notice that the DoI are as accurate about the calendar as they are with everything else.

[2]  I wish I was making this up.  The only cost £5, which is probably less than it costs to issue them.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I'm still amazed that any load you put on those cards isn't credited instantly unless you do it in person in the sea terminal shop. Quickly adding a few trips online in the morning before you head to the office? Tough luck mate, takes up to 24 hours to be credited. 

That's ridiculous. 

Also I've three different types of card - 

Purple one - a monthly pass (well 28 days so it runs out just before pay day). But because in not every month will I get value from a monthly pass. 

A blue one - a weekly pass 

An Orange on - to buy individual journeys between PE & Douglas in bulk

I should probably get a Green or Yellow one for journeys between PE and PSM and C-Town. 

I also have an Oyster card for when I'm in London - it does all of the above and calculates at the end of a week whether I'd have been better with a weekly pass and refunds me. 

(the delay is because the yearly and monthly passes have photos on them - a tourist could pick up a weekly or per journey card at the Sea Terminal without the wait.) 

Edited by Declan
9 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Also, I found it a bit puzzling that during lockdown, when they told people not to use cash and use Go Cards instead, they actually closed the shop, blocked the machine that sells Go Cards, and made people travel through town to the railway station. 

It's government - what did you expect?

7 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

It's government - what did you expect?

I think we've made steps backwards in the last twenty years. When I got my first driving licence over here, it took around 15 minutes at the main government office. Check my German licence, fill in form, have picture taken, get car printed, leave with Manx licence in your pocket. Now you have to go through the post office and it currently takes something like 10 days, unless you pay extra then they speed it up. What's the progress in that? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I think we've made steps backwards in the last twenty years. When I got my first driving licence over here, it took around 15 minutes at the main government office. Check my German licence, fill in form, have picture taken, get car printed, leave with Manx licence in your pocket. Now you have to go through the post office and it currently takes something like 10 days, unless you pay extra then they speed it up. What's the progress in that? 

Government have this knack of reinventing the wheel and squaring off all the round bits.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Love that line, it should replace the current IOM - Where you can bollox

as in

The IOM Where -  The Civil Service will make it way harder for you to do business than it needs to be.......

Isn’t that the truth.

Last time I looked and annual ticket was the most cost effective for regular bus travel.

It cost £800.  Now, that might be decent value but a lot of people using the bus are low income and so so because they can’t afford a car.

You have to pay the £800 in one go with no option for monthly payments.  So again the worse off are paying more for a service by being forced to pay the higher prices of daily, weekly or monthly cards.

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

You have to pay the £800 in one go with no option for monthly payments.  So again the worse off are paying more for a service by being forced to pay the higher prices of daily, weekly or monthly cards.

Or the Monthly bus pass lasting 28 days. That was designed by someone who hasn't lived pay cheque to pay cheque.  Charge an extra £5 and let it last 30 days! 

• Like 3