Jump to content

Ibuprofen dosage ??


Recommended Posts

having recently been given ibuprofen tablets that are labelled as 600mg  the instructions given stated 1 or 2 tablets  3 times a day  ,  so in theory 3600mg per day as a max dose.  having run out of the prescribed 600mg tablets and heading to a chemist i could not buy above 450mg without a prescription so opted for 200mg which would make matching the 600mg dosages easy,  so 6 x 200mg instead of 2 x 600mg ,   BUT  the instructions on the 200mg tablets are  1 or 2 tablets 3 times a day also.  so using 200mg tablets your max dose would be 1200mg per day rather than 3600,  how can both instructions be correct ??

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a rather large dose, according to NHS guidelines. Also, Ibuprofen can mask signs of infection thereby delaying initiation of treatment. Personally, I wouldn't take 3600mg's over 24hours. How is it prescribed, for inflammation or pain relief?

NHS guidelines...

 

Screenshot_20210611-112126_Chrome.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

having recently been given ibuprofen tablets that are labelled as 600mg  the instructions given stated 1 or 2 tablets  3 times a day  ,  so in theory 3600mg per day as a max dose.  having run out of the prescribed 600mg tablets and heading to a chemist i could not buy above 450mg without a prescription so opted for 200mg which would make matching the 600mg dosages easy,  so 6 x 200mg instead of 2 x 600mg ,   BUT  the instructions on the 200mg tablets are  1 or 2 tablets 3 times a day also.  so using 200mg tablets your max dose would be 1200mg per day rather than 3600,  how can both instructions be correct ??

As always, all online.

Ibuprofen 600mg film-coated tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) (medicines.org.uk)

Specific info for thr 600mg tablets.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It’s because the larger dose is under medical supervision. Over the counter isn’t. Did you notice that OTC limited both size of capsules and number?

i did notice the size and number limits,  just odd that the dosage limits can change, to my thinking either you should or shouldn't  take X amount , it's like the safety line gets moved which doesn't seem logical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

i did notice the size and number limits,  just odd that the dosage limits can change, to my thinking either you should or shouldn't  take X amount , it's like the safety line gets moved which doesn't seem logical.

The whole OTC v prescription model is a mess.

I take paracetamol. I can buy 32 max, OTC, 4 days worth, and they’re dirt cheap. My GP prescribes 56 days worth. The pharmacist gets far more for dispensing 512 on NHS than I’d have to pay if I could buy privately.

Why I can’t just be given a card permitting bulk purchase.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, quilp said:

That's a rather large dose, according to NHS guidelines. Also, Ibuprofen can mask signs of infection thereby delaying initiation of treatment. Personally, I wouldn't take 3600mg's over 24hours. How is it prescribed, for inflammation or pain relief?

NHS guidelines...

 

Screenshot_20210611-112126_Chrome.jpg

inflammation is what it was for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...