Sacked?

2bees

3 hours ago, Will Halsall said:

Based on The Standards and Members Interests Committee Report in Feb 14, suggesting several failings by David, such as being ill-prepared with evidence, showing a serious dereliction of duty to his Minister, and by extension to Tynwald deserving censure,

It's pretty damning isn't it:

53. Mr Anderson was very badly let down by officials in the Department of Health. [...]. We were struck by the seemingly casual approach adopted by the Department to the preparation of statements. We hope that this does not indicate a lack of respect for Tynwald.

54. We are astonished that the Chief Executive can have allowed the Personal Statement to be made in terms which were challenged so vociferously – and not without reason. A Personal Statement is an extremely rare event, when made to clarify a point of controversy where a Member’s word is called into question. The Chief Officer of the Department of Health bears the responsibility of having allowed his staff to have misled Mr Anderson. The most charitable interpretation of events is that the Department officials mistook general indications of regret as being the same as a retraction.

55. We note that Mr Killip failed to speak to the consultants who were named as having withdrawn their support, even after Mr Divers challenged the facts. Mr Killip was unable to recall whether he had insisted that the letter be written. He was, at first, unable to recall whether he had seen the Personal Statement, but then found that he did remember.

55 He had conversations with various consultants over this serious issue but failed to take notes. The Committee is surprised that a Chief Officer, or any witness in such a serious matter, could come to a Committee to give evidence so ill-prepared as Mr Killip.

56. The Department of Health clearly failed to appreciate the serious nature of a Personal Statement. We are appalled that senior officers were vague about whether they saw the text of the Personal Statement before it was made. [...]

57. All this was a serious dereliction of his duty to his Minister and, by extension, to Tynwald for which Mr Killip deserves censure.

With regard to his joining Beamans in January 2016 (after he left the DHSC in March 2014), some might think joining a consultancy which had been commissioned to produce a report by the Department a few years before was a little chummy.  Though, as Private Eye reminds us every issue, not uncommon in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's pretty damning isn't it:

53. Mr Anderson was very badly let down by officials in the Department of Health. [...]. We were struck by the seemingly casual approach adopted by the Department to the preparation of statements. We hope that this does not indicate a lack of respect for Tynwald.

54. We are astonished that the Chief Executive can have allowed the Personal Statement to be made in terms which were challenged so vociferously – and not without reason. A Personal Statement is an extremely rare event, when made to clarify a point of controversy where a Member’s word is called into question. The Chief Officer of the Department of Health bears the responsibility of having allowed his staff to have misled Mr Anderson. The most charitable interpretation of events is that the Department officials mistook general indications of regret as being the same as a retraction.

55. We note that Mr Killip failed to speak to the consultants who were named as having withdrawn their support, even after Mr Divers challenged the facts. Mr Killip was unable to recall whether he had insisted that the letter be written. He was, at first, unable to recall whether he had seen the Personal Statement, but then found that he did remember.

55 He had conversations with various consultants over this serious issue but failed to take notes. The Committee is surprised that a Chief Officer, or any witness in such a serious matter, could come to a Committee to give evidence so ill-prepared as Mr Killip.

56. The Department of Health clearly failed to appreciate the serious nature of a Personal Statement. We are appalled that senior officers were vague about whether they saw the text of the Personal Statement before it was made. [...]

57. All this was a serious dereliction of his duty to his Minister and, by extension, to Tynwald for which Mr Killip deserves censure.

With regard to his joining Beamans in January 2016 (after he left the DHSC in March 2014), some might think joining a consultancy which had been commissioned to produce a report by the Department a few years before was a little chummy.  Though, as Private Eye reminds us every issue, not uncommon in the UK.

Hello all

It appears I’m the star attraction again! As another poster observed a few days ago the events herein are indeed history, but as many posters on MF are sufficiently seasoned and aware of what life is like in a politicised world, they will be only too conscious that what appears on the surface is unlikely to be the full story. When I get round to writing my memoirs - worry not, that’s actually unlikely! - I’ll fill in the blanks for you. 

As to why Will H particularly felt compelled to again highlight this exciting topic (and I didn’t realise I was 50% of a bromance with Del!) those who have brought this to my attention have set out their own view that as Will and his good lady are close friends of my ex-wife perhaps he is a little less than entirely objective. But this matters not;   I thoroughly enjoyed my 38 year career in the civil service, all the ups and the downs. I tried to serve the Island’s population to the  best of my ability and if at times that didn’t deliver, then no one is more disappointed than me.

Anyway, enjoy the afternoon sunshine and, in a sudden lurch of subject, all the very best to the Parish Walk competitors tomorrow. Cheers to all (including you Will!) David K.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 1:54 PM, David K said:

Hello all

It appears I’m the star attraction again! As another poster observed a few days ago the events herein are indeed history, but as many posters on MF are sufficiently seasoned and aware of what life is like in a politicised world, they will be only too conscious that what appears on the surface is unlikely to be the full story. When I get round to writing my memoirs - worry not, that’s actually unlikely! - I’ll fill in the blanks for you. 

As to why Will H particularly felt compelled to again highlight this exciting topic (and I didn’t realise I was 50% of a bromance with Del!) those who have brought this to my attention have set out their own view that as Will and his good lady are close friends of my ex-wife perhaps he is a little less than entirely objective. But this matters not;   I thoroughly enjoyed my 38 year career in the civil service, all the ups and the downs. I tried to serve the Island’s population to the  best of my ability and if at times that didn’t deliver, then no one is more disappointed than me.

Anyway, enjoy the afternoon sunshine and, in a sudden lurch of subject, all the very best to the Parish Walk competitors tomorrow. Cheers to all (including you Will!) David K.

Lost the audience there mate, holding up the ‘ex wife card’ as a deflection from your own incompetence is a little immature. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Lost the audience there mate, holding up the ‘ex wife card’ as a deflection from your own incompetence is a little immature. 

Yes - this classic sprung to mind

Cover_of_The_Peter_Principle_by_Pan_Books.jpeg.03c3c27a3d04fd4826affe3331bab08f.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 1:54 PM, David K said:

Hello all

David,

Indeed, our personal relationship matters not a jot, but using this Machiavellian tactic as a smoke screen to distract the reader from the point in question (specifically The Standards and Members Interests Committee Report, which, as has been pointed out is ‘pretty damning’), is rather disappointing. 

If, as you appear to imply, the conclusion of the report is not entirely correct, perhaps you should enlighten MF posters with your side of the story, this would allow the reader (and myself) an opportunity to make balanced judgement?

Will