HRH The Chief Minister gets a gong

6 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I've said this before and i'll say it again. It never ceases to amaze me how much this 'proud and independent' Island fawns over medals and badges dished out by UK royalty. I bet the list of Manxies refusing a badge makes for short reading.

Indeed. ‘Proud Manxman’ ‘Mogrey Mie’ and flying the Three Legs and the Tynwald flag are instantly ushered hurriedly off stage as soon as a foreign jurisdiction offers some tinsel. One might even level an accusation of hypocrisy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

'Close the drawbridge' hardly takes the mental acuity of a global leader. Opening that drawbridge is the kicker, and, we've gotten that wrong before.

Indeed, and that is the top and bottom of it.

Seeing the comments on FB you would think that HQ single handedly conquered the virus and saved us all from certain death.  

Whereas .......

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

To be honest any politician getting a gong is hardly worth noting.

Newspapers to day full of tales suggesting donations to the Government party of the day automatically qualifies, either before or after, for a gong and can even get a seat in another esteemed place. 

I think the public know who they really appreciate for their efforts and skills that benefit society both locally and nationally. 

Personally I think any politician accepting one nowadays doesn't deserve it. In my opinion politics has no longer anything honourable or trustworthy about it.

Narcissistic institutions that continue to pat each other on the back in this way are reflective of the cronyism, nepotism and sheer misuse of influence and favour and should have this method of reward removed from their grip. 

Nothing here about HQ of course.

Edited by Apple
Added last bit to avoid any legal problems.
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Apple said:

Newspapers to day full of tales suggesting donations to the Government party of the day automatically qualifies, either before or after, for a gong and can even get a seat in another esteemed place. 

I think the public know who they really appreciate for their efforts and skills that benefit society both locally and nationally. 

Personally I think any politician accepting one nowadays doesn't deserve it. In my opinion politics has no longer anything honourable or trustworthy about it.

Narcissistic institutions that continue to pat each other on the back in this way are reflective of the cronyism, nepotism and sheer misses of influence and favour and should have this method of reward removed from their grip. 

VOR will be apoplectic at the very suggestion!

• Haha 3

My old man refused an OBE about 30 years ago.  Obviously wouldn’t have made him as worthy  as HQ with his fancy CBE but am proud of him to this day for turning down something he didn’t believe in.

It was for services outside of his profession as well.  Not just for doing a job you were already paid for - badly.

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Can’t find anything. He mentions public sector pensions  - compared to 5 years ago, the civil service has expanded. So more pensions that the taxpayer picks up, which includes HRHs.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, trmpton said:

My old man refused an OBE about 30 years ago.  Obviously wouldn’t have made him as worthy  as HQ with his fancy CBE but am proud of him to this day for turning down something he didn’t believe in.

It was for services outside of his profession as well.  Not just for doing a job you were already paid for - badly.

It’s down to personal choice, and in some cases having the courage to stand by your principles. At least he had some.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

in some cases having the courage to stand by your principles.

Agreed. Don't hear much about individual principles these days though, sadly. Or do I need to think that through ?

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Can’t find anything. He mentions public sector pensions  - compared to 5 years ago, the civil service has expanded. So more pensions that the taxpayer picks up, which includes HRHs.

I liked -

"In the last five years I have lobbied for a new bus station in Douglas so that passengers can take shelter from the elements and it is hoped that redevelopment in the Lord Street area in the near future will bring this about."

So something he claimed as a success of his first five years, still hasn't happened. 

It's also interesting that the key issues he listed weren't the key issues of his term of office. He lists -

1. PS pensions

2. Loss of VAT revenue

3. Attacks on offshore centres

4. High quality health and social care

5. Brexit

VAT Revenue seems like an issue of 2011 not one that's impacting us now. Attacks on offshore centres became less for most of his term. PS pensions seems to have slipped from his agenda. He had to put in Brexit in 2016 but the decision making has all been above his head. That leaves Health Care, which I suppose has been high on the agenda but not for reasons he could have expected, but it could be on the list at every election - does any one think the service has improved in the last 5 years?

No mention of the Prom disaster, the nationalisation of the steam packet or building a terminal in Liverpool. So even the man who headed up the government didn't put these issues to his constituents. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Apple said:

Narcissistic institutions that continue to pat each other on the back in this way are reflective of the cronyism, nepotism and sheer misuse of influence and favour and should have this method of reward removed from their grip. 

Nothing here about HQ of course.

So true. I expect by default the Cabinet Sec or Governor nominates a ”retiring” CM.

Similar hypocrisy to the PMs dissolution honours where he/she can dish out awards, largely knighthoods and seats in the Lords to their chums. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 747-400 said:

So true. I expect by default the Cabinet Sec or Governor nominates a ”retiring” CM.

Similar hypocrisy to the PMs dissolution honours where he/she can dish out awards, largely knighthoods and seats in the Lords to their chums. 

I accept that HRH The Chief Minister will get some trinket, bauble or gong at some point, but I thought it would have been after he had left his post, in other words be awarded in the New Years Honours or next years Queens Birthday Honours. What’s to say that there won’t be any skeletons or scandals relating to something signed off or attributed to him? 

The only saving grace is HRH The Chief Minister is retiring at a relatively young age. I’m sure that there will be election to Legoland, one can only hope that his name isn’t bandied about, like he was a elder statesman, with knowledge and wisdom to impart.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

I accept that HRH The Chief Minister will get some trinket, bauble or gong at some point, but I thought it would have been after he had left his post, in other words be awarded in the New Years Honours or next years Queens Birthday Honours. What’s to say that there won’t be any skeletons or scandals relating to something signed off or attributed to him? 

The only saving grace is HRH The Chief Minister is retiring at a relatively young age. I’m sure that there will be election to Legoland, one can only hope that his name isn’t bandied about, like he was a elder statesman, with knowledge and wisdom to impart.

Agree on timing, could have waited till New Years honours. 

Current trend seems to be nominating ”outsiders” to the LC. 

More concerned about getting the right people in the Keys and would be disappointed in JW goes to President. Still young and plenty of time to do that role! He would make a good minister in the next Government. Where he is most needed. 

4 hours ago, 747-400 said:

Agree on timing, could have waited till New Years honours. 

Current trend seems to be nominating ”outsiders” to the LC. 

More concerned about getting the right people in the Keys and would be disappointed in JW goes to President. Still young and plenty of time to do that role! He would make a good minister in the next Government. Where he is most needed. 

I think JW loves dressing up, I’m sure there’s plenty of ceremonial garb in El Presidente dressing up box. 

I think that JW whilst young has serious limitations in what he could take on. 

21 hours ago, Apple said:

To be honest I’m not a fan of the honors system but it is going to be with us for sometime yet.

If I agreed with your proposition that politics has no longer any thing honorable or trustworthy about it I would agree with the rest of your post.

But I don’t. There are a lot of conviction politicians here and internationally who have entered into politics to try and make a positive difference.

It has been argued that remuneration itself should be enough for politicians. But is that not the same for scientists, musicians, sportspeople, lollipop men/ladies, charity employees etc.?  Why exclude one particular profession/calling?

It has also been said many times on these pages that politicians owe an increased duty of care given the responsibilities and the  implications of their actions. They are subject to special scrutiny and are easily vilified when things go wrong,so why not magnify the potential for reward when they go over and above in their achievements?

Howard Quayle is just as much a worthy recipient of such an honour as others who have received the same. Scoff all you like but it cannot be denied that the perception amongst the electorate is that he deserves it.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Missed a question mark out
  • Like 1