HRH The Chief Minister gets a gong

I reckon he was bumped up a notch because of COVID 

So the table now reads -

Walker - Knighthood - left Island in a better state. 

Gelling/Bell/Quayle - CBE - didn't fuck up. / useless but COVID

Brown - OBE - inept but not venal. 

Corkhill - SFA - resigned under a cloud.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I never feel comfortable when people get a gong just for doing their well paid job. 

It’s an incentive scheme for people who can’t be promoted any further. 

41 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Looking at comments on Facebook a lot of the GMP think he has done a great job.

This is a pretty strong indicator of where the bar is set and why the Island is likely set for five more years of the same.

It's probably more of a strong indicator that generally many people accept the Isle of Man isn't a bad place to live.  Which it clearly isn't. 

Out of interest, what problems exists here that are not existing with, say the UK government,  and their employees?

As for covid, certain things could definitely have been and be done better.  It could also have been a lot worse.  I think many people recognise this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It's probably more of a strong indicator that generally many people accept the Isle of Man isn't a bad place to live.  Which it clearly isn't. 

Out of interest, what problems exists here that are not existing with, say the UK government,  and their employees?

As for covid, certain things could definitely have been and be done better.  It could also have been a lot worse.  I think many people recognise this.

Covid - things were relatively fine from the initial lockdown until after the first wave, but the second wave from January 2021 was the real killer. Stop Start Stop Start, uncertainty dithering and indecision.

There may have been less criticism if the promenade was finished, on time to budget, Liverpool Ferry Terminal wasn’t being a constant drain on the islands resources. The list is endless as is the government waste and largesse, the hangers on and the pet government favoured companies, who get preferential treatment or contracts.

Yes, It could have been a lot worse. We could have been taken over by Westminster. 

• Like 1

Marylin Cannell will be over the moon. I have many happy memories of her and Aunty Pam pushing their way through to the spotlight in the Peel Pantomime.  She's done a huge amount of work for music on the Island. Well deserved.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Looking at comments on Facebook a lot of the GMP think he has done a great job.

This is a pretty strong indicator of where the bar is set and why the Island is likely set for five more years of the same.

Can only get worse not better. 

Can’t see Alf Cannan pulling things around either. This island will continue to spend spend and spend, dig dig and dig and build needlessly for the sake of building. It will carry on building its civil service empires, creating regulatory bodies to regulate its regulatory body. More gongs to be awarded. Alfs a nice chap, like Chris Thomas but won’t get a grip of things. Unless someone prepared to cull the civil service, stop this pointless spending, we will can on a downwards spiral. 

1 hour ago, quilp said:

I wonder who this might be? From iomtoady comments...

Screenshot_20210612-072922_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210612-072933_Chrome.jpg

The irony of anonymously calling out anonymous people is presumably entirely lost on this individual. As is the fact not everyone here is anonymous. 

• Like 2