HRH The Chief Minister gets a gong

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No but the post was about the wage bill

There was a £70k post advertised at DBC last week for an assistant to the CEO of housing or something.

There isn’t much housing in Douglas, and the housing stock there is is badly managed and maintained by an army of staff and an expensive contract with SCS

12 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Hmmm...if we are pitiful brainless loons - and he didn't even make that grade to stay on here - what does that make him?

Indeed, and he (she?) is still at it...😅

Screenshot_20210612-221736_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, finlo said:

I've thought it through plenty thanks! Just because decent candidate's are hard to come by doesn't mean we should give the ones we've got a fool's charter!

I think there are many suitable candidates but they are deterred from being candidates by the situation in Tynwald. The island may have the oldest continuous parliament in the world but that does not make it the most effective. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Anyone said:

So where is well run? Please let us know and we can all get the boat there.

No need - just fix what exists. Leaner, more efficient, more focused, a sense of perspective.

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

How so?

See below for some starters

10 hours ago, Anyone said:

Easy really. Think about how the prom has been handled , multiple other cock ups. But get this , a population of about 80k thinks it is actually a country and installs a full governmental and expensive overseeing ‘parliament’ and pays them all a fortune including our CS , beggars belief really. 

10 hours ago, trmpton said:

Increase the salary for MHKs so you attract decent candidates.

Have a major clear out of the civil service and bring in people with proven business experience and the ability to manage large projects, budgets, and change programs, instead of a long line of people who haven’t worked outside of iomg for decades.

Make much better use of the existing skills on island in the private sector rather than relying on the clowns in government - see 111 line, inability to manage a vaccine rollout, inability to project manage ……. Pretty much anything.

For starters.

Oh, and sack off all the tinpot local governments.  Especially the screw up that is Douglas Borough Council.

Their wage bill alone must be more than a town in the UK with less than 90,000 people.

Give over.

We are an island the same size and with the same infrastructure and civil service requirements as a small town.

I am sure I heard something like 1 in 3 of our working population are civil servants or employed by government or a town council.

That would be a joke if things got done properly, and they don’t.

So many people doing nothing all day on huge salaries and pensions who wouldn’t last five minutes in private industry or even an equivalent CS role in the UK.

• Like 3

I find it difficult to understand the " we are not as bad as, or we are better than ... who are dreadful" mentality.

We can and should be better, we waste so much resource, and so much talent on our doorstep, whilst relying on people who time and again have proven they are not up to the job, whilst revelling in the fact they will never be held to account.

This is not about boat in the morning or who is a comeover, stay over, or whatever, this is about the Isle of Man !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, trmpton said:

There was a £70k post advertised at DBC last week for an assistant to the CEO of housing or something.

There isn’t much housing in Douglas, and the housing stock there is is badly managed and maintained by an army of staff and an expensive contract with SCS

It's a 56k post.

I cant be sure on stock numbers but wasn't it about 2000 for DBC?

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It's a 56k post.

I cant be sure on stock numbers but wasn't it about 2000 for DBC?

Probably.  So about 20 percent of what a relative is responsible for in Wales on £42k.

He nearly had a heart attack when I sent him that link 

39 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Ah, the old management speak rather than answer the question.

You were asked for an example of somewhere well run 

More efficient, leaner, more focus and perspective don't qualify as SMART objectives. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

More efficient, leaner, more focus and perspective don't qualify as SMART objectives. 

I’m not going to waste hours on writing a future strategy for the Island, am I?

That is simply the vision. Folk getting paid for it should be doing the grind.

• Like 4