Dumbing Down of Tynwald.

Holte End

9 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Usual quality of questions from Moorhouse and Edge.  

I certainly want answers for my constituents on the question for our apprentices, when there is a shortage of trades on the Island!

I will continue to hold DESC/Government to account, especially DESC on the implementation plan following the Beaman’s report.  Glad you recognise quality questions! 

6. The Hon. Member for Onchan (Ms Edge) to ask the Minister for Education, Sport and Culture –
How many apprentices are studying Year 3 Level 3 trade qualifications; how many will qualify this year; how many are studying Year 4 and will qualify to Level 3 this year?
7. The Hon. Member for Onchan (Ms Edge) to ask the Minister for Education, Sport and Culture –
How many roles were created on the transformation team to implement the recommendations made by Beamans in relation to his Department; and of these how many were advertised, how many were temporary and how many were permanent; and if he will make a statement?
8. The Hon. Member for Onchan (Ms Edge) to ask the Minister for Education, Sport and Culture –
What meetings have taken place involving employees of his Department based at Hamilton House since the completion of the Beamans report?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Julie Edge (Onchan) said:

I certainly want answers for my constituents on the question for our apprentices, when there is a shortage of trades on the Island!

I will continue to hold DESC/Government to account, especially DESC on the implementation plan following the Beaman’s report.  Glad you recognise quality questions! 

6. The Hon. Member for Onchan (Ms Edge) to ask the Minister for Education, Sport and Culture –
How many apprentices are studying Year 3 Level 3 trade qualifications; how many will qualify this year; how many are studying Year 4 and will qualify to Level 3 this year?

A question that might tell you something a bit more interesting than simply how many, would be how many year 2 can't get a work placement for year 3. or finding out how oversubscribed some courses are. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Julie Edge (Onchan) said:

7. The Hon. Member for Onchan (Ms Edge) to ask the Minister for Education, Sport and Culture –
How many roles were created on the transformation team to implement the recommendations made by Beamans in relation to his Department; and of these how many were advertised, how many were temporary and how many were permanent; and if he will make a statement?
8. The Hon. Member for Onchan (Ms Edge) to ask the Minister for Education, Sport and Culture –
What meetings have taken place involving employees of his Department based at Hamilton House since the completion of the Beamans report?

A lot of your questions should simply be directed to the department concerned.

I'm all for holding departments to account.  But a lot of questions can simply be answered for constituents by contacted the department directly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

A lot of your questions should simply be directed to the department concerned.

I'm all for holding departments to account.  But a lot of questions can simply be answered for constituents by contacted the department directly.

That’s not what you stated you said usual “quality questions” obviously your agreeing they are... I have asked the question and the answer has raised concerns that need answering and on HOK public record!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Julie Edge (Onchan) said:

That’s not what you stated you said usual “quality questions” obviously your agreeing they are... I have asked the question and the answer has raised concerns that need answering and on HOK public record!

Are you saying that the department couldn't have answered question 6 directly?

Well, having just finished listening to todays SAPRC hearing I am astounded at what actually was not asked about, such as:

No mention of changes at Quing, the loss of Angela Murray, the allegations from Dr Tynwell that are in the public domain and the impact on the service, Bill Shimmins motion on the complaints services not being fit for purpose and Tynwald agreeing, outstanding complaints, health and social care whistleblowing, appointments systems problems, Manx Care advising patients and families not to contact local MHKs with complaints, permit problems for key staff. 

I am all for extolling the services that do and when they work well and meet people's needs. But we should not be ignoring the problems. 

Not one question either about the much promised CQC scrutiny which I think swayed Tynwald to be "unanimous" in their support for the Mandate.The committee gave DA an easy ride in my view. Maybe they are now not fit for purpose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Well, having just finished listening to todays SAPRC hearing I am astounded at what actually was not asked about, such as:

No mention of changes at Quing, the loss of Angela Murray, the allegations from Dr Tynwell that are in the public domain and the impact on the service, Bill Shimmins motion on the complaints services not being fit for purpose and Tynwald agreeing, outstanding complaints, health and social care whistleblowing, appointments systems problems, Manx Care advising patients and families not to contact local MHKs with complaints, permit problems for key staff. 

I am all for extolling the services that do and when they work well and meet people's needs. But we should not be ignoring the problems. 

Not one question either about the much promised CQC scrutiny which I think swayed Tynwald to be "unanimous" in their support for the Mandate.The committee gave DA an easy ride in my view. Maybe they are now not fit for purpose.

#ClubTynwald

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The information wouldn't be in the public domain though.

It could be placed in the public domain quite easily.  

"I asked the following and here was the answer".

Thus leaving the written questions for more important things.

Also in the example of question 6, a direct enquiry and answer could have actually led to a materially important question being asked in Tynwald.

Moorehouse asking what he did is clearly something that should be answered elsewhere. 

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Like actual important things:rolleyes:  that can't be answered by a simple email to the relevant department.

Stuff like how big will their next payrise be?