Review into harms caused by Illicit Drugs

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece has picked this up from today’s Tynpotwald, an inquiry is being set up. Are they wanting to know why people take drugs? Yes drugs cause harm, to the taker, their families and the wider community, especially if someone has been sent to Jurby for an offence and the person concerned was a drug user. 

Who is going to sit on this inquiry? Are they going to ask questions of the police and the AGs office, who will quite happily send someone in possession of a minute amount of cannabis valued at less than £5 to court, thereby ruining a life, and the opportunity of that person getting a job. 

Haven’t there been inquiries like these before? I doubt it will achieve much, the cynic in me says it’s an inquiry for few MLCs to showboat and pretend they are legal experts, whilst nothing will change in realty.

• Like 2

Lots of research will already have been done for this. Copy n paste?

If it leads to legal use/possession of Cannabis ( non medical ) it's 'probably' for the best?

The dealers may shift to more dangerous drugs further soaking an already flooded market, not so good.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I'd be more interested in the results of harm caused by legal drugs. 

In the US there are tens of thousands of deaths per year from overdose of prescription opioids.  There are plenty of prescribed drug addicts everywhere.

• Like 8

What I don’t understand is why set up this new body.

There is already a statutory body, set up under the Misuse of Drugs Act, the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs.

Its supposed to produce an annual report. last one was for 2012/13. It should be liaising with the equivalent UK body. It should be reporting to the Government.

It could, and should be doing the things this new body has been set up for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

It so the same faces can sit round the same table and pretend they are at the heart of making government policy.

Gong fodder.

• Like 1

This has all been covered. This is all known. I assume this is jobs for the boys, many movement of lips, sound and fury.....etc.

1. Drug harms in the UK: a multicriteria decision analysis. Lancet 376: 1558-1565 2010

Note - this article does not mention the damage done by pharmaceutical drugs.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/47635105_Nutt_DJ_King_LA_Phillips_LD_Drug_harms_in_the_UK_a_multicriteria_decision_analysis_Lancet_376_1558-1565#read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_harmfulness

https://www.drugscience.org.uk/drug-harms-in-the-uk/

(Note the #1 most harmful drug.)

2. Portugal 2001 decriminalisation and effects

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/portugal-decriminalised-drugs-14-years-ago-and-now-hardly-anyone-dies-overdosing-10301780.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

Synopsis- better to have all drugs decriminalised and treated as a health issue rather than a criminal issues. The drugs war failed and only caused misery, and jobs for the boys. Regulate and tax for the win.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 2112 said:

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece has picked this up from today’s Tynpotwald, an inquiry is being set up. Are they wanting to know why people take drugs? Yes drugs cause harm, to the taker, their families and the wider community, especially if someone has been sent to Jurby for an offence and the person concerned was a drug user. 

Who is going to sit on this inquiry? Are they going to ask questions of the police and the AGs office, who will quite happily send someone in possession of a minute amount of cannabis valued at less than £5 to court, thereby ruining a life, and the opportunity of that person getting a job. 

Haven’t there been inquiries like these before? I doubt it will achieve much, the cynic in me says it’s an inquiry for few MLCs to showboat and pretend they are legal experts, whilst nothing will change in realty.

No ones live is ruined by going to court of 5 quids worth of cannabis.  The Police also don't prosecute people for that sort of thing at the firs time of asking.  They've usually had several warnings.

Your final paragraph shows what a 🤡 you are.

8 hours ago, wrighty said:

In the US there are tens of thousands of deaths per year from overdose of prescription opioids.  There are plenty of prescribed drug addicts everywhere.

i read the question as aimed at alcohol  and perhaps nicotine.

Edited by Pipsqueak
  • Thanks 1