Enid cancelled !!!

Pipsqueak

So, for anyone that hasn't looked, some of the stories people are getting upset about include:

One about a black doll 'Sambo' that a child refuses to play with until it is 'clean and white'. That's in 'The Little Black Doll'

In 'The Three Golliwogs', one of the three titular characters is named the n-word.

She also did the story of Noddy and the 'naughty black sambo', who, from memory put a curse on Noddy's car to stop it from working. I believe it was 'Here comes Noddy again' where golliwog characters steal Noddy's car after ambushing him.

Whilst they were of an era when that sort of thing was seen as acceptable, does it really make it any less racist?

• Like 1

Nearly every schoolchild in the last forty years has at some point in their English syllabus read Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. One of the characters in that is black and the 'n' word is used more than once. It's a wonderful story that I've read many times yet I've never heard any call for it to be banned. What about other works of modern literature such as To Kill a Mockingbird or Huckleberry Finn ? Where should we draw the line ? 

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Like 1

I don't seek to comment, except to note that there are many black artists, rappers etc, actors, even a listers who use inflammatory language all the time if this is the case ! Where is the line ? I have no clue.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Nearly every schoolchild in the last forty years has at some point in their English syllabus read Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. One of the characters in that is black and the 'n' word is used more than once. It's a wonderful story that I've read many times yet I've never heard any call for it to be banned. What about other works of modern literature such as To Kill a Mockingbird or Huckleberry Finn ? Where should we draw the line ? 

Blyton's stories are aimed at pretty young children who are less able to contextualise stuff - they don't even begin to have the background knowledge.  So stuff gets updated silently as it becomes outdated and difficult to understand or offensive or takes on unintended meanings (Noddy in bed with Big Ears).  Blyton did this herself, revising her earlier work.

The other books you mentioned are aimed at adults and older children and they are better able to understand they represent the behaviour and speech of other times and groups of people.   There's a paradox here.  Children's stories are timeless and so need to be adjusted to stay that way.  

33 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Amongst some black groups the 'n' word is an honorary badge of inclusion and respect that carries status.

i'm quite happy to go round honoring people.  😄

49 minutes ago, asitis said:

I don't seek to comment, except to note that there are many black artists, rappers etc, actors, even a listers who use inflammatory language all the time if this is the case ! Where is the line ? I have no clue.

44 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Amongst some black groups the 'n' word is an honorary badge of inclusion and respect that carries status.

Presumably then as white men you feel you should be allowed to use that word in a derogatory manner because some black people use it?

I challenge you to come up with a word that is used to describe white people that is as divisive as the 'N' word.  Oh, and ginger is not going to cut it. 

• Like 1

Guy Gibson's Black Lab was called Nigger. Is there/could there ever have been any suggestion that this was intended to be derogatory?

Why is there such a huge need to airbrush history? We should all be learning from it, so it needs to be visible.

I think the word "Woke" will be (or has already become) the divisive word that you are looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enid Blyton was discouraged by the teachers at my school because it was poorly written and basically dumb. There was never any mention of it being racist. We never talked about racism in those days. I enjoyed the Famous Five. And I liked Biggles. We played killing Germans.

Edited by pongo

53 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Guy Gibson's Black Lab was called Nigger. Is there/could there ever have been any suggestion that this was intended to be derogatory?

Why is there such a huge need to airbrush history? We should all be learning from it, so it needs to be visible.

I think the word "Woke" will be (or has already become) the divisive word that you are looking for.

Not using racist terminology anymore isn't "airbrushing history" you loon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Thank goodness you're here to provide us insights into ghetto life.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

I challenge you to come up with a word that is used to describe white people that is as divisive as the 'N' word.  Oh, and ginger is not going to cut it. 

"White Honky"?

• Haha 1