Enid cancelled !!!

Pipsqueak

3 hours ago, Declan said:

There have been calls for Of Mice and Men to be banned for many reasons including racial language, vulgarity, condoning euthanasia and being anti-business. Those have largely been resisted because they're preposterous.

The reason the books you list use racial language is that a theme of those books is prejudice and the outcome is a sense of our common humanity. In discussing the books in class children learn about these things and hopefully conclude prejudice is bad. 

The same cannot be said for a book where a child refuses to play with a black doll, until it is scrubbed white. 

Hold on there fella: Of Mice and Men isn't about race or prejudice.

So it appears that we should be protected from everything which, despite its realism, disagrees with the utopian ideals of the cosseted commissars? We are incapable of forming our own opinions, to feel pity or to identify with characters in fiction. What sort of meritocracy puts these people in a position to decide what we should be able to read and what we should not? 

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

So it appears that we should be protected from everything which, despite its realism, disagrees with the utopian ideals of the cosseted commissars? We are incapable of forming our own opinions, to feel pity or to identify with characters in fiction. What sort of meritocracy puts these people in a position to decide what we should be able to read and what we should not? 

Anyone stopping you reading Of Mice and Men?

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

obviously it is banned in some libraries along with other books which the party see as unpalatable. 

What? It is LITERALLY taught in schools.

Talking of 'the party' I note that from that list I linked (and a similar one I also looked up) that 1984, another book I was lucky enough to study aat school, is not on the GCSE list anymore. Wonder why that is?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Talking of 'the party' I note that from that list I linked (and a similar one I also looked up) that 1984, another book I was lucky enough to study aat school, is not on the GCSE list anymore. Wonder why that is?

I wasn't particularly talking about that book, it was shown as an example in previous posts?

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

These things go in cycles. New books and plays are published. 

My GCE year it was Twelfh Night or The Importance of Being Ernest for drama and Great Expectations or Cider with Rosie. Half the modern prose and drama weren’t published in 1970/72. The book and play choice changed and changes annually, not for reasons of banning, but variety, for staff, students, question setters and markers.

21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I did twelfth night too. And the mayor of casterbridge.

I had the privilege of seeing Twelfth Night 3 times. RSC in Stratford, Dukes Playhouse in Lancaster and Liverpool Playhouse. Playhouse was best. By miles. The audience had gone to enjoy, rather than see Shakespeare and be educated. It was played not only for the love angle but for the laughs and comedy in Malvolio. Malvolio was played by Ken Dodd, and very well, too.

That was 50 years ago. But I can still see him, in my mind’s eye, in a Cromwell Puritan hat, cloth, breeches, purple stockings with yellow cross garters and his buck teeth. You sensed he was struggling not to ad-lib 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I've never seen it performed, but in my mind Malvolio was a bigger and much more round person than Ken Dodd. 

I’ve always pictured him as 30, pinched, drawn and thin. But Simon Russel Beale was a good rounded portrayal.

• Like 1