Onchan spends thousands on legal fees battling own member

Apple

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

They bought his silence

I suppose so. Strictly speaking though, the ratepayer bought his silence.

How much?

28 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I suppose so. Strictly speaking though, the ratepayer bought his silence.

How much?

It was an undisclosed, agreed sum IIRC. Particularly undisclosed to Onchan ratepayers and the Press.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It was an undisclosed, agreed sum IIRC. Particularly undisclosed to Onchan ratepayers and the Press.

Probably came with a gagging clause. Like PSM iirc.

I knew him. Decent bloke actually. Pharmacist at one time.

19 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It'll appear in the financial statements somewhere and if its that big it'll stand out.

I suspect it wasn't much in the wider context.

So say it was  £8,000.00, That would be a 1p on eveyones rates in

Onchan, according to Mr Callister on FB.                                                                                                                    

So If it was a £160,000.00, would be 20p on everyones rates in Onchans.                                              

So spending £8,000.00 on legal fees, isn't much in the wider context.

Edited by Holte End

10 minutes ago, Holte End said:

It’s 1p on the pound for every pound of the rateable value of every property.

All posters are, correctly, critical of the expenditure. No one seems to be asking what it is that Quirk has allegedly  done to so concern his fellow commissioners and their officers that they felt it necessary.

Prime example of the need for absolute transparency.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s 1p on the pound for every pound of the rateable value of every property.

All posters are, correctly, critical of the expenditure. No one seems to be asking what it is that Quirk has allegedly  done to so concern his fellow commissioners and their officers that they felt it necessary.

Prime example of the need for absolute transparency.

It was asked in the minutes but the clerk refused to reveal the alleged offence.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No one seems to be asking what it is that Quirk has allegedly  done to so concern his fellow commissioners and their officers that they felt it necessary.

Wasn't it to do with the (lack of) sufficient policing in Onchan and the unfortunate death of a woman ...something along those lines.?

Quirk made a public comment they did not sanction so does everything now have to go through the Board ?

The CEO used to be the Chief Nurse iirc. Onchan must like ex health care professionals I guess.

Edited by Apple
meh

14 minutes ago, Apple said:

Wasn't it to do with the (lack of) sufficient policing in Onchan and the unfortunate death of a woman ...something along those lines.?

Quirk made a public comment they did not sanction so does everything now have to go through the Board ?

The CEO used to be the Chief Nurse iirc. Onchan must like ex health care professionals I guess.

That was one. But I can’t see reminding the press and members that interviews are merely expressions of personal opinion requires any legal advice, let alone £8000

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That was one. But I can’t see reminding the press and members that interviews are merely expressions of personal opinion requires any legal advice, let alone £8000

Advocates don't come cheap JW.Maybe they wrote letter as well.:flowers:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

The 8k on fees re Quirk is nothing to do with the payment made to the ex employee.  Which is what I was alluding to in my post.

I think you've maybe misunderstood or RC has misrepresented how it translates to rate payer costs.  

Anyway, the commissioners publish financial statements and any settlement should stand out like a sore thumb if it is material