Jump to content

Onchan spends thousands on legal fees battling own member


Apple
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Is Chris Quirk still a commissioner? I've always enjoyed talking to him but he's got a proper victim mentality, can't help thinking some of the problems up there stem from that.

Is he the one who phones the Mannin Line on almost a daily basis ? Never meet him but sounds ok, unless he is anything to do with this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Apple said:

Is he the one who phones the Mannin Line on almost a daily basis ? Never meet him but sounds ok, unless he is anything to do with this. 

I don't know as I don't listen to it, but was under the impression that it was David Quirk who is on that every day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't know as I don't listen to it, but was under the impression that it was David Quirk who is on that every day.

It's the David Quirk show, must be an election looming!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

As local authorities report to the DoI it would be their responsibility to bring in a hit squad. Given their record at fixing things it is probably best if they leave Onchan well alone.

Yes, amazing spread of responsibilities for the DOI, from drains to politics.

Maybe not that far though....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

Does he really believe there are 700,000 rated properties in Onchan? 

If he does he’s dafter than he looks.

I’m sure he meant it’s 1p on the Onchan rate, which was 326p this year, rather than 1p per household! Total rates income in 2019/20 was £2.3m so he’s about right. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

Does he really believe there are 700,000 rated properties in Onchan? 

If he does he’s dafter than he looks.

I presume he was referring to the product of a penny rate[1] which according to their statistics is £7788.  Like you I completely fail to see what £8000 worth of advice would be needed for.  I suspect the Board (or at least one or two prominent members) were trying to stop Quirkio ever saying anything they didn't like and the lawyers had to spend a lot of time explaining very patiently that they couldn't.

 

[1]  That is the amount of extra money that  would be raised by increasing the Onchan rates by 1p in the pound.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I presume he was referring to the product of a penny rate[1] which according to their statistics is £7788.  Like you I completely fail to see what £8000 worth of advice would be needed for.  I suspect the Board (or at least one or two prominent members) were trying to stop Quirkio ever saying anything they didn't like and the lawyers had to spend a lot of time explaining very patiently that they couldn't.

 

[1]  That is the amount of extra money that  would be raised by increasing the Onchan rates by 1p in the pound.

I know, and posted that earlier. But RC words were a penny for each ratepayer. Very different.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If my memory serves me, Quirkio was one of the main voices calling for the reasons behind the 1st Clerk's sacking to be made public at the time as well?

Edited by Non-Believer
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

To lose one Clerk may be a misfortune, to lose two is starting to look like carelessness.

I’m not surprised by this news, and there will probably be a few people in Noble’s and the wider health service who would say the same.

This also links to the odd contributions from David Killip on the ‘Abbotswood Covid19’ thread that has now been locked by the mods.

Many members will remember the turbulent time that the health department had in 2014, with virtually the whole ‘corridor of power’ in Crookall House cleared out in a few months.  It was rumoured that they had been fired for piss-poor performance across the board, but I guess that settlement agreements with confidentiality clauses were flying around like confetti at a wedding so we will never know the truth.  One of the casualties other than Killip was the chief nurse, Bev Critchlow.

David Killip was replaced to a fanfare from Mr Toad (then health minister) and screeching of Harley Davidson tyres by one Mark Charters.  Charters was a disaster, and achieved the rare distinction of being hated by absolutely everyone in his department.  One of his more bizarre acts was to appoint Linda Radcliffe as the replacement for Ms Critchlow.  My family and friends who work down at Noble’s were stunned and appalled by the announcement, as her reputation was so awful (small clique of cronies, super-aggressive and completely detached from the clinical ‘coal face’).  Morale suffered very badly.  She didn’t last very long and left in mysterious circumstances during the Couch era.

Blow me down, but Radcliffe then pops up as clerk of Onchan Commissioners!  Current stories about bullying and incompetence are, as I said, not surprising.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Many members will remember the turbulent time that the health department had in 2014, with virtually the whole ‘corridor of power’ in Crookall House cleared out in a few months.

I do remember. @Roger Mexico posted recently the notes from the review hearing after David Anderson was accused of misleading Tynwald. In my view, and several others I have to say, is that this was an example of politics and personalities clashing. 

iirc David Killpip, McGregor Edwards, Leslie Keenan were asked to asked to step aside. It did not include Critchlow. She left after the sudden and sad death of her husband in the middle of the night, after which I understand there was again political differences best not discussed on here. Quayle became DHSC Minister and Beecroft became a member, Crouch was drafted in from Treasury I think it was (after a short spell from Kniveton as CEO) and Quinn was brought in as Hospital Manager. (someone should timeline all this).

These were in my eyes desperate times, tremendous disarray with suspicion and paranoia all around. It spread throughout the whole DHSC in my opinion. This was a time when the climate of getting rid of the old guard was the policy and sanctioned at the top. Many methods to "persuade" people at several levels to move on I understand were employed, and in some cases those methods destroyed some people and their careers. I know some did not have the energy to fight what was going on as it was felt very politically supported.

If anyone wants any further information about what was going on and the people behind it all then go to Dr Tinwell's Employment Tribunal next week. How can a Consultant be treated like this beggars belief.  

For me, these problems all started in the era I described. When the problems were eventually realised at what had been released the idea of political removal from health care was considered. 

There is a lot more but I only posted this as I know some people involved either signed gagging clauses or do not want to reawaken a lot of sad and bad experiences. It affected their families as well. I attribute all this to one individual. The impact is still being felt.

I don't know if the Onchan thing is related or not but to be fair this is not the first time they have done this. The minutes from their last meeting are interesting as Disciplinary and Grievance policies were being being discussed. Wonder why?

Edited by Apple
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I’m not surprised by this news, and there will probably be a few people in Noble’s and the wider health service who would say the same.

 

This also links to the odd contributions from David Killip on the ‘Abbotswood Covid19’ thread that has now been locked by the mods.

 

Many members will remember the turbulent time that the health department had in 2014, with virtually the whole ‘corridor of power’ in Crookall House cleared out in a few months.  It was rumoured that they had been fired for piss-poor performance across the board, but I guess that settlement agreements with confidentiality clauses were flying around like confetti at a wedding so we will never know the truth.  One of the casualties other than Killip was the chief nurse, Bev Critchlow.

 

David Killip was replaced to a fanfare from Mr Toad (then health minister) and screeching of Harley Davidson tyres by one Mark Charters.  Charters was a disaster, and achieved the rare distinction of being hated by absolutely everyone in his department.  One of his more bizarre acts was to appoint Linda Radcliffe as the replacement for Ms Critchlow.  My family and friends who work down at Noble’s were stunned and appalled by the announcement, as her reputation was so awful (small clique of cronies, super-aggressive and completely detached from the clinical ‘coal face’).  Morale suffered very badly.  She didn’t last very long and left in mysterious circumstances during the Couch era.

 

Blow me down, but Radcliffe then pops up as clerk of Onchan Commissioners!  Current stories about bullying and incompetence are, as I said, not surprising.

 

There's certainly a very large fan and a big pile of poo 💩 :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Apple said:

Quayle became DHSC Minister and Beecroft became a member, Crouch was drafted in from Treasury I think it was (after a short spell from Kniveton as CEO) and Quinn was brought in as Hospital Manager. (someone should timeline all this).

Couch not Crouch

You've missed out Michaela Morris.  She was brought in around the same time as Charters to be Hospital Manager, along with a new Medical Director Dr Mahajan, and Linda Radcliffe as Chief Nurse.  Mike Quinn was a little later as Director of Hospitals - he was recruited as the Divisional Manager in Medicine before being promoted/asked to take on extra responsibility - when Michaela Morris' position morphed into more of a deputy CEO role or a replacement for Mr McGregor-Edwards' old role as 'director of health strategy and performance'.

It is difficult to keep up with all of the changes, and one of the issues the new organisation has to deal with is the lack of organisational memory.  It's certainly not unique to here, but the current leadership structure has very few people in place who lived through all of these changes and failed ideas, with the obvious danger being that they get repeated.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It is difficult to keep up with all of the changes, and one of the issues the new organisation has to deal with is the lack of organisational memory.  It's certainly not unique to here, but the current leadership structure has very few people in place who lived through all of these changes and failed ideas, with the obvious danger being that they get repeated.

Very true. That legacy lives on I am afraid. (I hope Teresa Cope reads this thread). As for Magson, forget it.

Didn't Morris and Crouch get turfed after the Wigan Copy and Paste episode ? 

With both DHSC and Manx Care and the Transformation Boards there are clearly far too many chiefs and not enough Indians.  The only credible thing they did was hold on to Scott (who wasn't intimidated to move on anyway. Balls of steel that one when it comes to it. 

We (possibly) needed the Manx Care approach but to be honest it was too soon and Covid should have delayed its implementation.  The implementation will be Ashford's legacy and the difficulties for patients and staff will be long forgotten. 

Give him a gong now and get rid. Needs the rest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...