Onchan spends thousands on legal fees battling own member

Apple

I predict a few local authorities won’t have the numbers for an election with just the same old guard hanging around with very little newbies coming forward, the way I see it, it only takes one or two militant members who put of new members or silence the more none passive ones from having a true voice, then they’d the ones who just use the standing orders bible for there own means when common sense should prevail. I seriously doubt I’ll ever vote again in either.

25 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

No it's not, the election gives these idiots an opportunity to be elected again. Given the shite turnout of voters in LA elections, this could happen. 

So, how should a clear out happen? You can't ignore the democratic process.   Where are the powers for DOI to step in and if they exist,  how are they going to do it? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So, how should a clear out happen? You can't ignore the democratic process. Where are the powers for DOI to step in and if they exist,  how are they going to do it? 

Ain't gonna happen, for all the reasons you state, Gladys. There isn't the political will, for a start and as for the potential electorate, how do you raise political awareness in a population largely disinterested in the machinations of those who work for them, preferring instead to either not bother voting at all because it feels it'll make little difference in the quality and efficiency of government in whatever form, or instead adopting a dim-witted 'pin-the-tail-on-the donkey' attitude to voting.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So, how should a clear out happen? You can't ignore the democratic process.   Where are the powers for DOI to step in and if they exist,  how are they going to do it? 

The DOI has jurisdiction over the LAs invested in it but Lord only knows what the trigger point is for any action to be invoked; probably a complete fiscal or law and order breakdown?

And as Beaman's has recently pointed out, the DOI can barely currently manage itself, let alone its underling responsibilities.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I wish I knew the answer Gladys. All I know is that this culture of bullying and bullish behaviour is putting so many people off from voting. Neighbours of mine have stated they will vote for anybody other than the current crop of thugs. Doesn't fill you with confidence does it?

• Like 3

Just now, Peter Layman said:

I wish I knew the answer Gladys. All I know is that this culture of bullying and bullish behaviour is putting so many people off from voting. Neighbours of mine have stated they will vote for anybody other than the current crop of thugs. Doesn't fill you with confidence does it?

Yet nobody else is running in Onchan. Today's the day nominations close.

2 hours ago, Peter Layman said:

The problem with not voting is exactly that, you are not exercising your democratic right so the old guard will get in.  I don't suppose any new candidates have announced their intention to stand have they?  

As Quilp says, voter apathy is a problem and can lead to undesirable outcomes. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Or not as it happens.  There's no election if there's not enough candidates - of course this happened in Onchan last time as in many other places.  We'll find out from later today, but would you put yourself forward to go in that bearpit?

The culture attracts the same kind of people to join the fold, those that enter but don’t bow will be shafted out.  

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

The problem with not voting is exactly that, you are not exercising your democratic right so the old guard will get in.  I don't suppose any new candidates have announced their intention to stand have they?  

As Quilp says, voter apathy is a problem and can lead to undesirable outcomes. 

The USA cannot get two decent candidates for president with goodness knows how many million to choose from, what chance do we have.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The USA cannot get two decent candidates for president with goodness knows how many million to choose from, what chance do we have.

quite a few in onchan would take trump over what they have.

• Like 2

Changing the elected is the possible part of the solution to any problem.

The seemingly impossible part is changing the unelected.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

There is one way - make a protest vote, which is what I intend to do.

I will go to vote but will write the word 'protest' on the paper without naming any candidate. 

I assume it is not against the law ? High turnout with low number of votes is the only way I reckon.  

• Like 1