Onchan spends thousands on legal fees battling own member

Apple

30 minutes ago, Apple said:

There is one way - make a protest vote, which is what I intend to do.

I will go to vote but will write the word 'protest' on the paper without naming any candidate. 

I assume it is not against the law ? High turnout with low number of votes is the only way I reckon.  

I agree, spoilt ballot papers should make a better statement than non-votes.   Not sure about the legality though. 

Don’t think spoiling a ballot is illegal.  One guy drew a cock and balls in the box adjacent to one candidate, presumably to make a statement about what he thought of that candidate.  The vote counted however, since it was only in one box and clearly identified one candidate.

Be careful to write ‘protest’ over more than one space, otherwise you’ll end up being counted :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Don’t think spoiling a ballot is illegal.  One guy drew a cock and balls in the box adjacent to one candidate, presumably to make a statement about what he thought of that candidate.  The vote counted however, since it was only in one box and clearly identified one candidate.

Be careful to write ‘protest’ over more than one space, otherwise you’ll end up being counted :P

Yes, probably best not to make any insinuation about the size of dick!

7 hours ago, wrighty said:

Sounds like a similar principle to the calculation of visitor figures and heritage rail users.... 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, wrighty said:

I think the returning officer was wrong. When I acted as returning officer ( 5 general elections and several by elections ) I wouldn’t have allowed it.

Does it indicate a positive intention to vote or to indicate the voters thoughts about the candidate. Uncertainty.

Likewise in STV what do one, two and three X’s indicate in terms of preference, 1, 2, 3? 

Lots of great anecdotes of things I’ve seen written or drawn or marked on ballots.

The only way the penis should have got through would be if the returning officer gets all the candidates/counting/election agents to agree.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think the returning officer was wrong. When I acted as returning officer ( 5 general elections and several by elections ) I wouldn’t have allowed it.

Does it indicate a positive intention to vote or to indicate the voters thoughts about the candidate. Uncertainty.

It wouldn't really be "Unmarked or void for certainty" though and if neatly done enough not "Want for more candidates than vacancies to be filled" (does that even make any sense).  That just leaves "Writing or mark by which voter could be identified".  Presumably the RO said "Does anyone recognise these cock and balls?" and as everyone said no...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s void for uncertainty.

Not clear if it’s a vote for or a comment about the attributes of the candidate.

If the candidate has to agree on counting would it be fair to say they're willing to take dicks for votes?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

If the candidate has to agree on counting would it be fair to say they're willing to take dicks for votes?

As opposed to votes for dicks...? 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The only way the penis should have got through would be if the returning officer gets all the candidates/counting/election agents to agree.

I think I’ve just seen where I’ve gone wrong in life. 

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, John Wright said:

Likewise in STV what do one, two and three X’s indicate in terms of preference, 1, 2, 3? 

Lots of great anecdotes of things I’ve seen written or drawn or marked on ballots.

To agree the candidate is a dick? 

Going back to Onchan, still no words from the MHK's. By God, them two must be petrified on being seen as "interfering". Mind you, it is probably "safer" for them not to be involved. It may wash on to them.

Maybe we need more off island candidates who are not afraid to upset the locals.? Perhaps that's why Manx Care Directors are mostly off island. Now it makes sense....

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Going back to Onchan, still no words from the MHK's. By God, them two must be petrified on being seen as "interfering". Mind you, it is probably "safer" for them not to be involved. It may wash on to them.

Maybe we need more off island candidates who are not afraid to upset the locals.? Perhaps that's why Manx Care Directors are mostly off island. Now it makes sense....

As has been posted before, to stand in an election you have to be on the electoral roll.  Of the people, by the people.  So, off island candidates are not an option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apple said:

Unfortunately your not up to speed with Local news article in Examiner. I can’t link it sorry! 

3 minutes ago, Julie Edge (Onchan) said:

Unfortunately your not up to speed with Local news article in Examiner. I can’t link it sorry! 

you're*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1