Stop the felling of the St Marks Elms

Amadeus

The paragraph near the bottom of page 18 in the pdf speaks volumes to me .....

The one about change of use of adjoining land which now has an entrance ....... who is the developer ?

Very neatly sidestepped by planning.

• Like 2

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/dandara-unveils-milntown-housing-estate-plans/

Dandara taking the piss now, 165 new houses. this is the 3rd new 'development' story today, i'm guessing they've decided to release them all at once hoping the manx public will have forgotten about it in a few weeks.

no surprise with this story hitting as well

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=62453&headline=Government loses area plan case after claiming that companies had missed the deadline for objections&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2021

Edited by The Chief
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Martyn Perkins, over the coming months will be having some explaining to do on the doorsteps of leafy Garff.

I wonder if he would mind if I knocked down his home and told him its sad but we are leaving 300 other houses standing and we are building some more which in twenty years time may be better for you to live in. 

He wasn't getting my vote before but is in for a hard time if he bothers to call at my door 

• Like 2

Development on the island is out of control, the reasons for development and its benefits to the populace are long forgotten, the overriding principles are take as much profit as you can and run ! oh and fuck the environment !

• Like 1

Felling these historical trees in the name of road safety seems bizarre and Mr Boot is now saying that he “regrets not previously being involved in the decision, taken by the planning committee”.  Presumably the Green Party will take and continue to take a strong stance as this ‘elms-gate’ issue should be right up their ‘elm-tree-tunnelled’ alley.

The number one reason developers prefer green fields over brown field sites is blatantly obvious – it costs less. It seems to me that if the Island wants to be true to its ‘green’ credentials, it may have to subsidise the development of brown field sites, if that requires an overhaul of the entire planning application process then so be it.

IMHO, this debate about the right balance between the need to protect the environment (especially green spaces and trees) and the need for affordable housing must take center stage in the upcoming GE.

Edited by code99
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Aren't we talking about 25 out of about 350 trees? 

It seems that people think the whole tree tunnel is coming down, which doesn't appear to be the case. 

The way this has been reported by local media you could be forgiven. Very poor journalism... 

2 minutes ago, code99 said:

IMHO, this debate about the right balance between the need to protect the environment (especially green spaces and trees) and the need for affordable housing must take center stage in the upcoming GE.

I think the whole point is, Developers have no interest in affordable housing, their only interest is profit. Whilst we enable certain developers to do whatever they want, wherever they want, and celebrate first time buyers houses at 270K, which clearly are out of reach for many of the people who would need them, we are on the road to nowhere . We have a confused administration who on the one hand pay lip service to the beautiful nature of the island but on the other wilfully enable profiteers to destroy it ! Boot only regrets he wasn't involved because of September !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2