Jump to content

Stop the felling of the St Marks Elms


Amadeus
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

15 Pages?

FFS its a few trees, they are elms at 100+ years old so just about end of life for an elm. They are planting far more to replace them. It a few more years, read 5-10, they would likely fall over in the next big storm.

If you want to get worked up about the IOM environment, moan about the lack of emission testing in vehicles. 100s of knackered 15-20 year old diesel cars and vans around now pumping out foul toxic gases.

The air quality over here on non windy days is shocking, worse than huge city's that have seen the light and banned high polluting vehicles.

We are that backward we don't even test to see what is polluting or not, its a disgrace.

So only a few pages then by your measure.

Let them plant the ‘ far more’ trees and let them grow and mature before they are allowed to remove the mature trees they needlessly want to remove. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

Thanks but where is it?

Off the old castletown road heading south just before loch ned I think. Farm behind might be Ballaslig. I'm not totally sure, I wasn't born.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, finlo said:

Would the Stabit lorry's even take that route?

The caller definitely claimed that the road had been improved to allow the stabits to be transported, surprised me a bit too, I can't remember where they were manufactured though. But if it was the route, as the A26 to the A24 it would be a direct route to the Old Castletown Rd and the Breakwater?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The caller definitely claimed that the road had been improved to allow the stabits to be transported, surprised me a bit too, I can't remember where they were manufactured though. But if it was the route, as the A26 to the A24 it would be a direct route to the Old Castletown Rd and the Breakwater?

Could be, I was visualising the tree tunnel on the road that comes out in either Glen vine or Crosby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

15 Pages?

FFS its a few trees, they are elms at 100+ years old so just about end of life for an elm. They are planting far more to replace them. It a few more years, read 5-10, they would likely fall over in the next big storm.

If you want to get worked up about the IOM environment, moan about the lack of emission testing in vehicles. 100s of knackered 15-20 year old diesel cars and vans around now pumping out foul toxic gases.

The air quality over here on non windy days is shocking.

Not just old and knackered vehicles but modern ones with the EGR, DPF and catalytic converters removed. I frequently see them for sale with these ‘mods’ and no one bats an eyelid. I’d personally like to know how they get insured, I asked my insurance if I could remove my DPF and they class it as an increase in engine power as it’s an exhaust modification and is likely to increase power, to go one step further it would invalidate my insurance if I didn’t declare it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Not just old and knackered vehicles but modern ones with the EGR, DPF and catalytic converters removed. I frequently see them for sale with these ‘mods’ and no one bats an eyelid. I’d personally like to know how they get insured, I asked my insurance if I could remove my DPF and they class it as an increase in engine power as it’s an exhaust modification and is likely to increase power, to go one step further it would invalidate my insurance if I didn’t declare it.

I'm sure that our new £7.5M Testing Station and appropriate enforcement of regulations will resolve this in due course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Weren;t they made at Port Soderick?

Yes, at Keristal in the field to the left of the road when heading towards the coast.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Viddy well said:

Your game is weak.

The ducks fly south only when the barley is ripened.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far the petition to save the trees has gathered over 28,000 and is heading towards 30,000 signatures. 
 

I wonder in the history of petitions on the island and general campaigning, is this a record? I would say that a few current MHKs will be fearful of potentially losing their seat. I would also reckon that any potential developers or development in the area will be scrutinised and objected to like never before. It may not be worth the hassle for a developer. 
 

Doesnt it also send a very powerful message to Government which they can’t ignore unlike with previous petitions. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The caller definitely claimed that the road had been improved to allow the stabits to be transported, surprised me a bit too,

Wouldn't be the first time someone has called the Moanin Line and chatted bollocks. 

See Quirkio for more.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm sure that our new £7.5M Testing Station and appropriate enforcement of regulations will resolve this in due course.

Probably right, but for the moment all it would take is someone trawling the sale ads and picking out the 2 or 3 a week for sale who openly advertise the illegal mods.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...