Stop the felling of the St Marks Elms

Amadeus

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Clearly because it's Barrowman people will immediately start whining and nudge nudge wink winking but it appears that every man and his dog has had their tuppence worth on this one.

I didn't know. I'd be 'whining' regardless of who owns it. It is ridiculous.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I didn't know. I'd be 'whining' regardless of who owns it. It is ridiculous.

Got to be honest. As long as they are planting more trees to replace them I can’t really see an issue?

If they were just chopping them down and concreting it there would be a (very minor) issue, but hey, peoples requirements change.

The roots are probably knackering the road anyway so just replace them with more trees of better species and in better places for 2021.

What’s the issue? Other than not liking change?

21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Cheers T, no mention of clearance issues, which surprises me given that planning permission was granted for a 2 storey building, I would expect the roof trusses might have been an issue if the trees hang low enough, so I can only assume they don’t.

This application has been recommended for approval for the following reason.
The proposal is considered to be justified under General Policy 3f of the Strategic Plan and whilst the proposal would result in the loss of mature trees which is contrary to Environment Policies 1 and 3, the improvements in highway safety together with the proposed replanting scheme is considered sufficient to warrant approval of the application.

So basically it’s fine to remove mature trees providing the ratio of new ones planted is greater than the removal of old ones apparently.

Edited by Annoymouse
Butchered the quote function

Are elms not a species of concern now with Dutch elm disease having decimated their numbers? If so and unless these particular trees are diseased then surely all efforts should be being made to conserve and protect them?

ETA How long would it take newly planted trees to reach this level of maturity?

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Got to be honest. As long as they are planting more trees to replace them I can’t really see an issue?

If they were just chopping them down and concreting it there would be a (very minor) issue, but hey, peoples requirements change.

The roots are probably knackering the road anyway so just replace them with more trees of better species and in better places for 2021.

What’s the issue? Other than not liking change?

What do you mean by 'better species'? 

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Are elms not a species of concern now with Dutch elm disease having decimated their numbers? If so and unless these particular trees are diseased then surely all efforts should be being made to conserve and protect them?

Dutch elm disease almost just seems to be a case of if not when, I’ll be surprised if there is any left at the current rate they’re coming down.

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Better suited than trees that have managed to grow to maturity?

Howard Quayle has grown to maturity.

Doesn’t mean there aren’t other better suited people for the position.

Just because something has been there for hundreds of years doesn’t mean it is the best option available.

Other than short term aesthetics and the fact that it is a change, what is the actual issue with the proposals and the planting of new trees which has been carefully researched and planned?

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Better suited than trees that have managed to grow to maturity?

Yes, after all, what the fuck does mother nature know about what tress should be grown where. Far better that important decisions like this be left to a halfwit like Boot. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Howard Quayle has grown to maturity.

Doesn’t mean there aren’t other better suited people for the position.

Just because something has been there for hundreds of years doesn’t mean it is the best option available.

Other than short term aesthetics and the fact that it is a change, what is the actual issue with the proposals and the planting of new trees which has been carefully researched and planned?

I doubt you could even identify an elm tree.

• Like 1