Stop the felling of the St Marks Elms

Amadeus

17 hours ago, Viddy well said:

The planning process is good enough (or at least not so bad that Beamans need to be paid to look at it).

Likewise, the applicants are blameless. They applied using the process available and it's very unfortunate that their affairs have been aired in public in the misguided belief that they are part of the problem.

However, the whole point of putting a politician into the approvals process is so that they can look at a proposal through the eyes of the electorate. In this case, Perkins should have been able to understand the concern the proposal would have aroused and blocked it. He either didn't care because it's not floods in Laxey, or he's out of touch, which seems to be the case given his insistence on defending the decision.

Oh - and a PS: What a candidate puts on their manifesto is utterly meaningless. Ditto the "passion" they have for their plans. To get policy onto the books, the candidate either has to become the Chief Minister and tell Council what the programme for government looks like, or they have to rally a majority of members to support their pet projects, which, if there is any risk attached, won't happen.

So when candidates come to your door and make promises, just remember they probably won't be able to make them happen through no fault of their own.

In my opinion the planning process has been exposed as being far from perfect.

Maybe as an IOM community we are onto something here; especially if the ‘elms-gate’ decision can somehow be reversed. After all, if the Swiss can make their ‘big’ decisions by holding referendums, perhaps on the IOM we can govern through petitions? Presumably, if competing petitions are ever presented, the one with most signatures would have sway. Obviously, taken to extremes, this would be preposterously inefficient, grossly unfair, grotesque ‘mob rules’ political paradigm, but what choice do we have if our politicians are acting contrary to public opinion?

The proverbial handwringing is no use after the event. At times it seems that conventional democracy is failing; that individual MHK’s manifestos are worthless, that their promises are vacuous and that many of them are, for all intents and purposes, unaccountable. This country cannot go on as if none of this mattered – change is needed now.

Edited by code99
typo
  • Like 9

If I'm reading the situation right, after further deliberations, the planning committee approved the felling of two trees for the provision of a gate to a working farm. Unfortunately it was found that some of the remaining trees are in a dangerous condition and they need to be taken down, before they fall on someone.

The green party can't make trees last beyond their lifespan, no matter what the political aspirations of some of their members may be!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Max Power said:

If I'm reading the situation right, after further deliberations, the planning committee approved the felling of two trees for the provision of a gate to a working farm. Unfortunately it was found that some of the remaining trees are in a dangerous condition and they need to be taken down, before they fall on someone.

The green party can't make trees last beyond their lifespan, no matter what the political aspirations of some of their members may be!

You're not 'reading the situation right', though. More research needed: start with 'working farm'.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, manxman34 said:

You're not 'reading the situation right', though. More research needed: start with 'working farm'.

Maybe it's a working farm, maybe it's not, I believe I am right on the rest though, unless you know otherwise? 

According to the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece today, Minister Boot is going to try and negotiate with the applicants of the planning permission on Friday.

So I presume by the language MR used that appealing to reason etc has failed so far? The word try suggests the Government are on a hiding to nothing. Obviously no rush to negotiate hence Friday. 

On 6/25/2021 at 7:45 PM, Gladys said:

There was another caller asking why access to legal representation was so difficult here and why couldn't we adopt no-win, no-fee like the UK.  All Wint could say is we are not the UK.  

He really is a waste of space, arrogant condescending and often ill-informed. 

If our appeal was to fail and is signed off by the minister , myself and neighbours will probably face a restrictive covenant legal battle with Hartford homes to save 150 trees in Farmhill. Any information, from any contributors with experience of this, would be appreciated.

Edited by Russ
typo
  • Like 2

Just listened to a bit of jethro blustering in the keys earlier. I missed the date the notice was put up, have May in my mind for some reason. We have a couple of Elms at the bottom of the garden. Very old established ones, it always surprised me at how late they come into leaf. Last week in may is usually the exact time, ties in with a family birthday.  Surprised they didn't know this when they pinned the notice up

Edited by the stinking enigma

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

According to the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece today, Minister Boot is going to try and negotiate with the applicants of the planning permission on Friday.

So I presume by the language MR used that appealing to reason etc has failed so far? The word try suggests the Government are on a hiding to nothing. Obviously no rush to negotiate hence Friday. 

In fairness he did a good job on the IOM Bank at Peel.

oh, hang on...