Stop the felling of the St Marks Elms

Amadeus

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

So @Derek Flint were you constantly at those entrances removing rtc wreckage?

I don’t recall it. I am an advocate of the ‘safer Roads’ element of the National Road Safety Strategy so where engineering can improve visibility that is fine. But in a case like this, you have a conflict with environmental policy. So what wins? How else might the objective be achieved?

on this one, I think the trees likely deserve the upper hand. So can we drop the limit? Put in some mirrors? There’s always an alternative.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Isn't the onus on the driver 'joining' the highway to take extra care?

Unless your car cost £50k+, then you have right of way. But that's the case for any junction or situation...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 6/28/2021 at 7:01 AM, John Wright said:

The tree tunnel is also man planted, don’t forget. It’s not natural. 100 years ago someone planted that hedge.

Are you sure about that? We have an awful lot of tree lined roads. Is it not just that that's where trees are allowed to grow? They wouldn't get the chance to become established on the road or in the fields either side.

21 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Are you sure about that? We have an awful lot of tree lined roads. Is it not just that that's where trees are allowed to grow? They wouldn't get the chance to become established on the road or in the fields either side.

Pretty sure. Too regular to be random. The Manx way is sod hedges, stone, soil, turf. Shrubby stuff and gorse might get hold. But generally that’s as they get old and decay. Trees and shrubs are kept out because the destroy integrity and make them less stock proof long term. 

They’re on both sides, one variety. More likely created, or curated, than natural.

Don't get me wrong, they’re beautiful. But the countryside is not permanent. It’s ever changing. Our fells and upland farms are wholly man engineered. Mainly by sheep grazing getting rid of the original cover. The same is true of our glens, field boundaries, sod hedges. Some more pleasing than others. Think of the mono culture plantations.

The uproar is much like that ( but with added social media ) when large swathes of Ballaglass were cut down and then replanted. Field Elm don’t have the life of some trees. Ideally you replace a couple here and there every year. But when you plant all at once, like the Victorians did when creating the glens, you get a problem as they reach 100. Good husbandry would have been weeding out the weaker ones, a few every year, from the time they came into public ownership. Regeneration in a cycle.

I don’t think the planning can be overturned. It’s final. Maybe the owner can be prevailed on to do something different. But any attempt to overturn will result in long and expensive litigation. And at some time in the next 20 years most of those trees will die, fall or need urgent felling. 

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Pretty sure. Too regular to be random. The Manx way is sod hedges, stone, soil, turf. Shrubby stuff and gorse might get hold. But generally that’s as they get old and decay. Trees and shrubs are kept out because the destroy integrity and make them less stock proof long term. 

They’re on both sides, one variety. More likely created, or curated, than natural.

Don't get me wrong, they’re beautiful. But the countryside is not permanent. It’s ever changing. Our fells and upland farms are wholly man engineered. Mainly by sheep grazing getting rid of the original cover. The same is true of our glens, field boundaries, sod hedges. Some more pleasing than others. Think of the mono culture plantations.

The uproar is much like that ( but with added social media ) when large swathes of Ballaglass were cut down and then replanted. Field Elm don’t have the life of some trees. Ideally you replace a couple here and there every year. But when you plant all at once, like the Victorians did when creating the glens, you get a problem as they reach 100. Good husbandry would have been weeding out the weaker ones, a few every year, from the time they came into public ownership. Regeneration in a cycle.

I don’t think the planning can be overturned. It’s final. Maybe the owner can be prevailed on to do something different. But any attempt to overturn will result in long and expensive litigation. And at some time in the next 20 years most of those trees will die, fall or need urgent felling. 

I heard tonight that DEFA estimate the loss of 260,000 trees within five years due to Ash dieback and Dutch Elm disease, frightening really and puts this into perspective. Apparently there is going to be good money to be earned in tree surgery over the next few years! 

34 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I don’t think the planning can be overturned. It’s final. 

I think Minister Boot uttered his final Tynwald words.

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece this morning talks about Minister Boot having high powered pow pow negotiations with the owner of the land. It also mentions by name the owner. Is this normal?

Or is the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece being biased and by mentioning the owners name/applicant, perhaps that he may be swayed into not going ahead. 

It’s rather unedifying really how the IOMG are really begging and almost pleading for alternatives, especially in the face of unprecedented opposition, the most probably in Manx Planning History. It could fire a shot across the bows of developers who wish to dig up fields for housing, without spending on the infrastructure,

• Haha 1

A nice little Facebook storm brewing on IOMNP with the main big noise listing the 3 People allegedly involved. One of our (least)favourite MHKs not happy to dragged into it and asking for reference to him being removed. I doubt it somehow happening. Everyone loves social media so you will die by social media.