Jump to content

Stop the felling of the St Marks Elms


Amadeus
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2021 at 10:04 AM, Roxanne said:

Just in case anyone had forgotten, the use of random use of upper case makes it a FACT! 

I believe it is a secret code.

if you read the words in upper case, Only allowing them once.

It reads " NOT ANY DEFA APPEAL".

 

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Solution found to avoid removal of 25 Elm trees on Braaid Road

This morning (Friday 2 July) the Minister for Environment, Food and Agriculture Geoffrey Boot MHK, the Chair of the Planning Committee Martyn Perkins MHK, and the owner of Ballavarvane Farm in St Marks met to discuss alternative options to address access issues at the property which could avoid the removal of trees.

Following a useful and productive meeting, it has been agreed that no work or action will take place at the existing site whilst an alternative solution is finalised.

The existing planning application to remove 25 trees and create safer access to the property was granted following road safety concerns contained in the application.  These include a serious accident that took place in September 2019 as well as a series of near misses due to visibility issues.

An alternative access has now been identified that would avoid any impact on the Elm tunnel on the Braaid Road in St Marks.  A planning application will be developed and submitted in the next three months.

If this alternative application is successful, the landowner will relinquish the existing planning approval, legally abandoning the intended changes to improve access and safety.

The public are requested to remain respectful towards the landowner who has followed the planning process and who, following public concern, is working with Government to implement an alternative solution to the current vehicular access issues. 

Minister Boot said: “We had a very positive discussion with the landowner and have agreed to work together on this alternative approach, which will avoid any damage to the Elm tunnel, whilst still ensuring that the landowner has a safer access to the site at a different location.”

Mr Perkins commented: “We are aware of how unsettling the reaction has been for the applicant and are grateful for their cooperation in looking for alternative solutions.  Working together, we believe we have identified a way to improve access and safety whilst protecting valued trees and habitat.”

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Solution found to avoid removal of 25 Elm trees on Braaid Road

This morning (Friday 2 July) the Minister for Environment, Food and Agriculture Geoffrey Boot MHK, the Chair of the Planning Committee Martyn Perkins MHK, and the owner of Ballavarvane Farm in St Marks met to discuss alternative options to address access issues at the property which could avoid the removal of trees.

Following a useful and productive meeting, it has been agreed that no work or action will take place at the existing site whilst an alternative solution is finalised.

The existing planning application to remove 25 trees and create safer access to the property was granted following road safety concerns contained in the application.  These include a serious accident that took place in September 2019 as well as a series of near misses due to visibility issues.

An alternative access has now been identified that would avoid any impact on the Elm tunnel on the Braaid Road in St Marks.  A planning application will be developed and submitted in the next three months.

If this alternative application is successful, the landowner will relinquish the existing planning approval, legally abandoning the intended changes to improve access and safety.

The public are requested to remain respectful towards the landowner who has followed the planning process and who, following public concern, is working with Government to implement an alternative solution to the current vehicular access issues. 

Minister Boot said: “We had a very positive discussion with the landowner and have agreed to work together on this alternative approach, which will avoid any damage to the Elm tunnel, whilst still ensuring that the landowner has a safer access to the site at a different location.”

Mr Perkins commented: “We are aware of how unsettling the reaction has been for the applicant and are grateful for their cooperation in looking for alternative solutions.  Working together, we believe we have identified a way to improve access and safety whilst protecting valued trees and habitat.”

It just goes to show what the mob can achieve, armed with half baked facts and rumours! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not wishing to pour cold water, but anything including “if” or “best endeavours” along with Planning/DOI. You get my drift.

33 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It just goes to show what the mob can achieve, armed with half baked facts and rumours! 

 

31 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I suppose we will just have to see what develops there in the next couple of years

 

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well done to the landowner, he could have dug his heels in but didn't.  I hope he is warmly congratulated and thanked by all the protesters. 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well done to the landowner, he could have dug his heels in but didn't.  I hope he is warmly congratulated and thanked by all the protesters. 

There is absolutely nothing to say the landowner might not use this to his full advantage, he can use the existing planning and removal of said elms as leverage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can only imagine the bowing and scraping that went on at that meeting and the concessions that were made to get here.

What are the chances of the revised planning permission being refused do you think?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

"We are aware of how unsettling the reaction has been for the applicant"

Perhaps he should have anticipated that when it was suggested to him that 55 trees need to be felled

Edited by cissolt
Typo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, cissolt said:

"We are aware of how unsettling the reaction has been for the applicant"

Perhaps he should have anticipated that when it was suggested to him that 55 trees need to be felled

They asked and permission was given.

Perkins should explain how the trees and road are now suddenly safe.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2021 at 2:56 PM, Non-Believer said:

I'd imagine one or two MHKs will be watching this with extreme interest with an election looming and if the result that the Manx Gas protests obtained with a far lower public involvement are anything to go by, I'd suggest there may be a review of this decision shortly.

I must be psychic.....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Just having a real laugh at Tynpotwald bigging up their green credentials. There was a motion, that a new tree grant be established, giving grants for landowners to plant trees - with certain conditions. After the St Marks Elms fiasco you would think that Government and Tynpotwald would really think hard before coming up with these schemes - which is ideal in principle - which in reality will have loopholes which I’m sure will be exploited by clever people. Needless to say the nodding dogs voted for the motion. How long before tree scams occur, and eventually planning applications, even though the new grant rules say the trees must be in place for 30 years. Trees are for life, not 30 years. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...