Stop the felling of the St Marks Elms

Amadeus

Elm trees are under threat due to the Dutch Elm Disease. These trees look healthy.

Anything that can be done to protect this extremely rare example of an ancient tree tunnel should be.

They've been there longer than any of us, and they're probably healthier than most of us. Why should any of us demand their downfall?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, asitis said:

Nice to see we are making more (Negative) headlines in the UK !

add to the ovalabout debacle and we are doing well advertising the island as a home for halfwits

and i assume there will be a pending harmony or dandara planning application for a 'development' on one of the fields nearby.

Edited by The Chief
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Is this Barrowman?  This is Ballavarvane Farm - I think his property is Ballakew on the other side of the road.

It is Ballavarvane, there's an article on MR News about it now (sorry, can't link), a "proposed new entrance" to the farm. Further condemnation too, including tv's Chris Packham and local residents having been awakened to proceedings are putting up banners protesting at the proposals.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Is this Barrowman?  This is Ballavarvane Farm - I think his property is Ballakew on the other side of the road.

Yeah it doesn't look like it's to Barrowman's property.  As you've said he is the other side of the road (by quite a distance - couple of fields at least). 

Weirdly it looks like a new driveway that is next to the current driveway that leads up to the farm. 

2001215B APL Site Location Plans.pdf

• Thanks 1

It's funny (peculiar, not ha ha) but someone not far from me lives opposite a huge copse on a slope. One time there were no trees there at all but no one knew who owned the land and over the years it wasn't looked after and they self seeded and now there are ten metre high (and above) sycamores self seeded all over the place. The DOI as part of the flood works removed all the smaller trees on the river bank and now the large one above are uprooting and falling over. If a big one falls it will take out about five or six houses. Fifteen years these people have been trying to find out who owns the land to get the trees pollarded to reduce the risk.  Turns out the land is owned by the commissioners, but they're reluctant to do the works due to the cost. These folks don't want the trees down, just looked after so they don't fall on their houses - sadly, it's only a matter of time. How in god's name that can't be done for public safety and yet a loaded farmer can get these beauties removed to make getting his car in and out is one of life's mysteries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I'm not 100% sure.  I googled the name and the estate agent advert came up.  Perhaps I misread it.

Can’t beat a bit of unsubstantiated rumour hey?

Not only are there fields, but an actual road that would need to be crossed to get a drive from here to Ballakew