Jump to content

Stop the felling of the St Marks Elms


Amadeus
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Can’t beat a bit of unsubstantiated rumour hey?

Not only are there fields, but an actual road that would need to be crossed to get a drive from here to Ballakew 

As I said, that's what came up.

And in fairness when you get the usual Manx crab nudge judge wink wink comments then it's only a matter of time (no matter who owns it) that you'll get the usual comments etc.

It looks from the planning portal that everyone was involved and the applicant has had to provide am extensive mitigation plan for the loss of trees.  I dont think anyone can accuse planning of nodding it through because someone is wadded.

It's a bit strange how this has only kicked off now.  You would think the Wildlife Trust would have had their say.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

As I said, that's what came up.

And in fairness when you get the usual Manx crab nudge judge wink wink comments then it's only a matter of time (no matter who owns it) that you'll get the usual comments etc.

It looks from the planning portal that everyone was involved and the applicant has had to provide am extensive mitigation plan for the loss of trees.  I dont think anyone can accuse planning of nodding it through because someone is wadded.

It's a bit strange how this has only kicked off now.  You would think the Wildlife Trust would have had their say.

ETA - I've just checked and I think when I googled it I saw the price and read it as 26.5m and it is actually 2.65m hence the confusion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Removal of 50+ trees for improvement in sight lines is excessive. How about a couple of warning signs and a pair of specs. Job done.

Its not as if the trees and the driveway have appeared overnight is it.

Imagine if the same view was applied to the TT course, we'd have no trees left.

Edited by SBr
Updated
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, SBr said:

Removal of 50+ trees for improvement in sight lines is excessive. How about a couple of warning signs and a pair of specs. Job done.

Its not as if the trees and the driveway have appeared overnight is it.

Imagine if the same view was applied to the TT course, we'd have no trees left.

I haven’t done a survey.  But the percentage of the islands trees that are on the TT course or even next to roads will be less than 1 percent.

Its a similar argument to not cutting hedgerows back to aid visibility for conservation reasons.  The proportions of hedges on island that line roads is tiny and cutting them back is so insignificant it would make no difference to anything.

Cutting every tree next  to a road down would look awful and be unnecessary, but to suggest there would be noticeable  environmental damage is nonsense.  Especially if as in this case, other tres were being planted instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I haven’t done a survey.  But the percentage of the islands trees that are on the TT course or even next to roads will be less than 1 percent.

Its a similar argument to not cutting hedgerows back to aid visibility for conservation reasons.  The proportions of hedges on island that line roads is tiny and cutting them back is so insignificant it would make no difference to anything.

Cutting every tree next  to a road down would look awful and be unnecessary, but to suggest there would be noticeable  environmental damage is nonsense.  Especially if as in this case, other tres were being planted instead.

Some time ago, Derek Flint (I think) posted that during his time in post with the Police Road Safety side, almost 5000 trees had been identified around the TT course as suffering from Ash Dieback and would ultimately have to be felled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The majority of trees on the island are in the plantations, not mature trees such as as these. These should be protected unless diseased. We have to protect our natural environment, otherwise all our roads will look like mororway verges. The duty of care to maintain & renews shouldn't come at such a cost as we are guardians of this biosphere not owners.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, quilp said:

It's appalling if this felling proposal is just to improve someone's view. 

I thought it was about 'safe access' for a farm...not seen plans...is there another potential solution? e.g. access via another's land or connecting other fields and access etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I thought it was about 'safe access' for a farm...not seen plans...is there another potential solution? e.g. access via another's land or connecting other fields and access etc.

There's already a drive, they want to put a new one in about 50m away. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Some time ago, Derek Flint (I think) posted that during his time in post with the Police Road Safety side, almost 5000 trees had been identified around the TT course as suffering from Ash Dieback and would ultimately have to be felled.

That was when he was in Special Branch.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I went and had a nose at this.

The above is slightly misleading in relation to Malew Commissioners.   They didn't fail to object.  Like it was missed.  They saw it and supported it.

It also looks like a lot of work has gone into it in relation to planting of new trees etc.

Clearly because it's Barrowman people will immediately start whining and nudge nudge wink winking but it appears that every man and his dog has had their tuppence worth on this one.

Why couldn't or didn't the Wildlife Trust object? Are they not recognised?

For once DDB makes a valid point. 

If the trees are diseased as is claimed then they will need to be felled. Otherwise they will die and eventually risk falling on a car or person. 

 

While we're at it the Fairy Bridge Road needs some attention to remove dead trees. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

For once DDB makes a valid point. 

If the trees are diseased as is claimed then they will need to be felled. Otherwise they will die and eventually risk falling on a car or person. 

 

While we're at it the Fairy Bridge Road needs some attention to remove dead trees. 

 

 

The trees aren't diseased. Some are in "less good condition".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

It’s amazing how quickly established trees that have stood for hundreds of years can suddenly be deemed to be diseased when a farmer wants a new driveway. 

Are you sure they're are 'hundreds' of years old? A couple of hundred at most. 

 

When they cut them down maybe you can count the rings and tell us?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...