Education Education Education

A mantra once used by the former Prime Minister.

Education on the island seems to be heading like the Manx Health Service, in need of serious attention. 

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece had a piece about how the University College Mann (Isle of Man College) Principal resigned (wasn’t in the post for long) and how Government are having problems trying to recruit a new Principal. Something isn’t right for a high profile appointment to go, after a short period, and suggests issues within the department. It is also a costly expense trying to recruit especially if the applicant comes from off island, re relocation expenses. 

The second issue is Ballakermeen High School have a planning application for portacabins to be used for teaching. With a supposed population explosion, and a high school roll how long can the school persist with poor conditions not conducive to teaching?

I done fink their is out rong wiv education here. It don't done me no arm. Gi us a job....

Seriously. They have to break it all up before they can mend it (and hopefully get a gong for it as well as spend a shed full of money). That is just the way they do it here. Those that make the decisions and judgements consistently get the appointments muddled up and in my view make some really damaging appointments. Look at the health services over the last 8 years or so. Leadership for change....what's that?

Destroy and rebuild. Thats the way to do it. Numptys. 

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

A mantra once used by the former Prime Minister.

Education on the island seems to be heading like the Manx Health Service, in need of serious attention. 

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece had a piece about how the University College Mann (Isle of Man College) Principal resigned (wasn’t in the post for long) and how Government are having problems trying to recruit a new Principal. Something isn’t right for a high profile appointment to go, after a short period, and suggests issues within the department. It is also a costly expense trying to recruit especially if the applicant comes from off island, re relocation expenses. 

The second issue is Ballakermeen High School have a planning application for portacabins to be used for teaching. With a supposed population explosion, and a high school roll how long can the school persist with poor conditions not conducive to teaching?

I'm sorry to say this is yet more bile and horse shit.

You have literally no idea why the principal at the college left.  None.  "Suggests issues in the department ".  Arfff.

Perhaps they got to the island and couldn't settle? Maybe they got here and had a marital split? Maybe their kids have struggled? Maybe their parents are in the uk and have been diagnosed with terminal cancer and they want to back near them? You have literally ZERO idea.

As for Balla - the main numbers problem at Balla isn't about a population issue.  It's about families moving out of the catchment area but insisting their kids go to Balla.  I work with several people who fall into exactly this category.   Driving in from somewhere like Peel or Ballasalla where they live but continue to bring their kids to Balla.

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

Jo Pretty seems to have been there for about five years, so it's not unusual for someone to move after that sort of period at that stage in their career.  They may also have been personal issues with separation from friends and family, made a lot worse because of Covid.  But I was surprised not to see anything about her going.

Recruitment is of course very difficult at the moment, especially when you would expect the person to be appointed from off-Island and I wonder if Allinson is stalling so as to not be stuck with 'one of the boys'.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Jo Pretty seems to have been there for about five years, so it's not unusual for someone to move after that sort of period at that stage in their career.  They may also have been personal issues with separation from friends and family, made a lot worse because of Covid.  But I was surprised not to see anything about her going.

Recruitment is of course very difficult at the moment, especially when you would expect the person to be appointed from off-Island and I wonder if Allinson is stalling so as to not be stuck with 'one of the boys'.

2112 will be seething.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

2112 will be seething.

Why would I be seething?

You seem to have an obsession with making comments on a forum, especially after I have said anything. Perhaps you have ‘issues’? Or perhaps you like what I have to say, and get a kick out of it? 

I said the Principal of University College Mann hadn’t been in the post long. Maybe she has been in the post 5 years, I wouldn’t say it’s a long time, but hey according to the resident troll or multiple poster, I’m not allowed an opinion, unless it conforms to theirs. 

If as you say it’s all down to parents moving to other parts of the island and yet won’t send their offspring to other schools - St Ninians, QE2 or Ramsey Grammer, then others are at fault for not getting a grip on what’s going on. This problem presumably hasn’t sprung up overnight, or perhaps as usual civil servants whilst aware of the issues, have buried their heads in the sand. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

If as you say it’s all down to parents moving to other parts of the island and yet won’t send their offspring to other schools - St Ninians, QE2 or Ramsey Grammer, then others are at fault for not getting a grip on what’s going on. This problem presumably hasn’t sprung up overnight, or perhaps as usual civil servants whilst aware of the issues, have buried their heads in the sand. 

Parents often want to leave their children at the same school because they don't want to disrupt their education and their friendship networks, hobbies and so on.  It may also be easier to take them to their current school when travelling to their own work rather than drop them off earlier at a new one.  And after-school childcare may also mean they are unwilling to move - rather than going to Granny's they may need to make new arrangements.  And if you keep one child at their 'old' school, you might also want to send their younger siblings there for the same reasons.

Catchment area rules have exceptions in them to cope with this and it would cause a lot of disruption (and possible expense) to a lot of families to arbitrarily change the rules.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Parents often want to leave their children at the same school because they don't want to disrupt their education and their friendship networks, hobbies and so on.  It may also be easier to take them to their current school when travelling to their own work rather than drop them off earlier at a new one.  And after-school childcare may also mean they are unwilling to move - rather than going to Granny's they may need to make new arrangements.  And if you keep one child at their 'old' school, you might also want to send their younger siblings there for the same reasons.

Catchment area rules have exceptions in them to cope with this and it would cause a lot of disruption (and possible expense) to a lot of families to arbitrarily change the rules.

I’m not disputing or disagreeing with what your saying. It’s totally normal, but I was trying to say in my opening post, is that there is a problem at Ballakermeen if they wish to put portakabins in the school grounds to be used as classrooms. I would guess before long, a planning application will be made for a new build school - another large scale capital infrastructure project which Government can screw up. 

Let's be honest - Education has had bed press and is long overdue for changes. Some staff need to be "changed".

So like the DHSC it will be disrupted, staff encouraged  to look elsewhere, the unions will be "dealt with" and costs will be reduced by altering the level of number of actual qualified teachers, more assistants, lower salaries and dubious recruitment, retention and HR practices. ? Something along those lines.

It's what we do. 'Cause we can. It's sad.

DOI next.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Apple said:

Let's be honest - Education has had bed press and is long overdue for changes. Some staff need to be "changed".

So like the DHSC it will be disrupted, staff encouraged  to look elsewhere, the unions will be "dealt with" and costs will be reduced by altering the level of number of actual qualified teachers, more assistants, lower salaries and dubious recruitment, retention and HR practices. ? Something along those lines.

It's what we do. 'Cause we can. It's sad.

DOI next.

It is sad, it’s been left to wither. It’s not the teaching staff who do a very good job under trying circumstances. 

Another Beamans report? Like with the DOI report it will probably say more staff needed. 

I wonder if IOMG have Beamans on speedial?

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I wonder if IOMG have Beamans on speedial?

It's a strange situation really I think. Do politicians do want the island  wants or what it needs.

Of course, they could do both if they we skilled enough and if the timing is right. Unfortunately things get kicked down the road, fall out of time, one eye always on elections and by having too many cooks in the kitchen, many of whom could not boil an egg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With HRH The Chief Minister and others view that green fields, brown fields and urban regeneration schemes which involve building new homes, the issue or elephant in the room is the increased pressure on the infrastructure. Schools, dentists, podiatrist and medical facilities are experiencing pressures with increased patients especially when surgeries and practices closing. Granted a census has taken place, but it’s useless if our politicos and civil servants take no notice of the statistics. 

I understand that Ballakermeen is regarded as a good school which is why parents wish to send their children there. 

26 minutes ago, Apple said:

It's a strange situation really I think. Do politicians do want the island  wants or what it needs.

Of course, they could do both if they we skilled enough and if the timing is right. Unfortunately things get kicked down the road, fall out of time, one eye always on elections and by having too many cooks in the kitchen, many of whom could not boil an egg.

In our case, and the UK across, it's often neither want nor need because the politicians see it as a career, not a service.  Increasingly, they react based on social media comment and furore, rather than thinking through good policies that will benefit people.

Plus, they are often nasty people.  Hancock was protected after being found to have broken the ministerial code and sacked for shagging his assistant.  I know which one I think is more serious.

• Like 2

While the island is a low tax jurisdiction we will always have very much poorer services supplied by government than the UK does, its just basic maths.

They take far more in tax to support far better services of all sorts supplied by government.

We have to put up with crap because we pay low tax and are run by relatively lowly paid incompetents - due to the lack of tax take, it will always be this way..................

Not just low tax paid either that causes the problem, there are not enough of us to support modern things like a decent NHS or education as the above posts.

We would be far better becoming part of the UK and electing 1 MP to represent us.  I am saying this as someone who would be much worse off financially if this happened but it would be much better for the long term survival of the island as a decent place to live.

15 hours ago, 2112 said:

Why would I be seething?

You seem to have an obsession with making comments on a forum, especially after I have said anything. Perhaps you have ‘issues’? Or perhaps you like what I have to say, and get a kick out of it? 

I said the Principal of University College Mann hadn’t been in the post long. Maybe she has been in the post 5 years, I wouldn’t say it’s a long time, but hey according to the resident troll or multiple poster, I’m not allowed an opinion, unless it conforms to theirs. 

You've been repeatedly picked up for spouting angry BS because you repeatedly spout angry BS.

Your opening point was above there, said that the Principal moving on "suggests issues in the department " when quite clearly you haven't the first idea what you are talking about.  You've created a new topic which is just plain lies.

You've then further launched into some fantasy about Ballakermeen.

It's got nothing to do with "not being allowed an opinion ".   It's about pulling you when what you are posting isn't opinion.  It's just bitter lies.  

You're seething:thumbsup:

• Haha 1