Local Authority Elections

Amadeus

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably eventually, though Joughin is still showing as Mayor on the website.  I suppose she'll take over either on his formal nomination or  his election (hey, it's Douglas East, anything can happen).  If still means he gets lot of pictures in the paper in the interim though, unlike the other candidates.

It's all perfectly legal (and not uncommon in the UK) and I doubt many people will say "Oooh he's got a big chain - I'll vote for him!", but it still doesn't feel right, given that the Mayor is supposed to be 'non-political' for their year of office.  And the fact he remains Mayor with casting vote after the elections, even though not an elected member of the Council, is also a bit worrying.  The last would apply to Chatel as well of course.

He's a councillor until 31st July

27 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Facebook comment: "Don’t understand why there is a list of councillors, did they pay for it?"

I suppose those that live in that rates area did a bit...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Ego rampant 

Agreed SJ.

What they have done is appalling crap. These people are nobodies (compared to Bee Gees). They suffer from small-minded narcissistic delusions of their own self-importance. They should not have their names anywhere near this statue. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, code99 said:

Agreed SJ.

What they have done is appalling crap. These people are nobodies (compared to Bee Gees). They suffer from small-minded narcissistic delusions of their own self-importance. They should not have their names anywhere near this statue. 

Somehow I doubt most of them knew their names would be on it.

• Like 3

Only half the story. That’s only the unveiling/dedication plaque.

This is the plaque on the plinth.

3 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Ego rampant 

May be an image of text that says "Douglas The Worshipful the Mayor Councillor July 2021 Dedicated Joughin JP in recognition Doua Leader of the Council and Chair music, ervice mbassadors Douglas and sle Man Executive Committee Mr Councillor W Christian MBE JP Head Artist Sculptor AEdwards and Castle Fine Arts Foundry Councillors Mr Ms Angela Miss Byron Mrs R Chatel Mr Clague MBE Mr Hamer Mr Joughin Mr SR Pitts Mr E Skinner Mr D Watson Mr Bentley Mrs Callow Christian JP Mrs CE ECrawley Mr Horning HMcNicholl Mrs ECQuirk Ms. Thommeny Mrs MrsCLWells Remembering Miss D AM Pitts Serving Councillor, May 2012 January 2020"

2 hours ago, code99 said:

Agreed SJ.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Somehow I doubt most of them knew their names would be on it.

BDE0BB0D-0E2E-4F73-9285-84C397B1E21D.png

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I don't get the unveiling plaque thing. Seems a bit pointless when there's already one on the floor. what happens to the unveiling plaque now? 

I think it goes on the side of it somewhere. That place wasn't ready yet or something so it was removed again for now. 

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I think it goes on the side of it somewhere. That place wasn't ready yet or something so it was removed again for now. 

As you'll soon be on DBC, can you see to it that it never reappears? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Zarley said:

As you'll soon be on DBC, can you see to it that it never reappears? 

And please can you tell us what it cost........

I want a rebate !

• Like 2

If they need an unavailing plaque it could be business card size -

“The Bee Gees

a sculpture in Bonze by Joe Artist RA

unveiled 8/7/21 by Jon Joughin, Mayor of Douglas”

Like in an Art Gallary. 

On 7/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, Rhumsaa said:

[Joughin's] a councillor until 31st July

Oh I know that, but unless the DoI have made special provision for a new 'Annual' meeting after the new Councillors/Commissioners are in place, he will remain as Mayor until next May.  As far as I can tell Chatel is only taking over as Mayor in May 2022.  Which seems ridiculous given that she won't be a Councillor after this July.

And in the meanwhile Joughin continues to get lots of publicity as Mayor as we saw yesterday.