Local Authority Elections

Amadeus

Just now, Declan said:

Well, I recognise that the anti-limit people don't see it the same way and I don't want to re-hash the debate here. But to my mind people die and are seriously injured because we don't have an all-island speed limit. That makes it a moral issue. 

Yes, it is an issue worthy of debate, but introducing a moral dimension confuses it and rational arguments fly out of the window.  Those on the other side of the debate may say that it is immoral to impose restrictions on them.  I am not for or against, (I drive to my capability which is not much over 60 mph, anywhere) but always question accusations of people being immoral based on an attitude to one aspect, because your morality may be very different to others and theirs may be different on other aspects.  By all means give evidence as to why a speed limit minimises death and serious injury, but don't label someone immoral because of their position on one issue.  

You apply your own morals to your own conduct, not to others. You can, however,  apply fact and evidence to all arguments which will or will not, win the debate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

By all means give evidence as to why a speed limit minimises death and serious injury, but don't label someone immoral because of their position on one issue.  

I didn't label him immoral because of his opinion on the issue. My point was Amadeus ran a campaign on the issue to boost his profile ahead of a tilt at public office (he evens starts his webpage for his campaign for the Corpy with a brag that he ran the campaign). That's why I don't trust him. 

1 minute ago, Declan said:

I didn't label him immoral because of his opinion on the issue. My point was Amadeus ran a campaign on the issue to boost his profile ahead of a tilt at public office (he evens starts his webpage for his campaign for the Corpy with a brag that he ran the campaign). That's why I don't trust him. 

And where was he when he ran the campaign? IOM, Philippines, Greece, Macedonia, or Munich?

Get off his back FFS.  I don’t know Frank other than what he posts on here but he’s put himself forward and he’s in. At least let him do a few months before we begin on the character and policy assassination. I don’t know what it is he does that seems to get so many peoples backs up on here but I have a horrible feeling it’s something to do with bombing a chippy. Let it go FFS and give the guy a chance. 

And Declan, he’s not the first to put themselves forward on a hobbyhorse issue and he won’t be the last. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I don’t know what it is he does that seems to get so many peoples backs up on here but I have a horrible feeling it’s something to do with bombing a chippy. Let it go FFS and give the guy a chance. 

If Falk Horning gets back in too, we won't have any chippy's left if they decide to take revenge on us for Germany's exit from the Euros! 

Congratulations to Amadeus, and to those who eventually get in. At least they are putting themselves forward and are willing to bang their heads against the wall for us all!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kipper99 said:

And where was he when he ran the campaign? IOM, Philippines, Greece, Macedonia, or Munich?

I think he was here. Tbh, Frank has a quality rare in Manx politics - intelligence.  He can also string a sentence together far better than many, and not stumble over tricky words like statistics.

Give him a chance, FFS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Maybe you should have put yourself forward then instead of sniping from behind the comfort of your keyboard. I'm happy for him to give it his best. If he doesn't then you might just have something to moan about

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Why don't you trust someone who is open about their position?  You may not agree, but is that a trust issue?  I would not trust someone who was not upfront or had hidden agendas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Not that I particularly want to get involved in a speed limit/unrestricted debate but he also recently posted a video of what he felt was a dangerous overtake on the mountain and got himself removed from a Facebook group that he had been part of for many years, so at least he’s not afraid to speak out.

The constant pushing of his website is a separate matter entirely. 

54 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

I have never lived in Skopje. Or Munich. I have lived and worked in some other places, including Manila from where I brought a multi million pound gaming project to the Isle of Man a couple of years ago.

When I first moved to Manila, I was also working for an Isle of Man company. The two places are surprisingly well connected and I am proud to have helped establish a new gaming firm here that now employs around a dozen people and pays thousands in contributions every month. People need to stop thinking in here and there terms. The business and the real world are small these days 

As for Declan’s comment: the anti speed limit campaign started on this very forum when (iirc) we were talking about it and I happened to be the one person suggesting we should do something about it and meet somewhere to discuss. That led to a filled Outback and the anti limit campaign that eventually won, despite the government trying their best to press through their one sided consultation. I am still anti speed limit and will always continue to be, election or not. Why you think I should be forbidden from mentioning something I did and still do believe in, I don’t know. 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

He asked. 

Indeed, he did.

I know its a subject you feel very strongly about, but it's also a subject he feels very strongly about. You have a difference of opinion, that's all, surely that's not a trust issue?

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Tbh, Frank has a quality rare in Manx politics - intelligence.  He can also string a sentence together far better than many, and not stumble over tricky words like statistics.

Fair comment. I have said before though it is not just about the people elected. The system is weighted against anyone who seeks to "bang their heads against the wall for us". Maybe we don't help either with apathy and focus on single issues rather than for the whole of the island. The public benches in Tynwald and at various local meetings that I have attended are often empty.  

People who do put their head above the parapet are often singled out for sport, malice or to promote alternative hobby horses. Is not that how the last lot got in. ?

I hope I feel I can support anyone who stands who is honestly committed to the benefit to everyone on the island, not just a select few. If someone wanting my vote is open, honest and truthful then it shouldn't be a problem. 

• Thanks 1