Tynwald Day 2021

Amadeus

28 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I once was asked to leave a meeting about equal rights for women because I dared suggest that it was men who were discriminated against because we were expected to wear suits and ties when women doing the same job were free to wear pretty much what they wanted. That was over 40 years ago, nothing changes!

Not really a surprise given the disparity in wages and work prospects at that time. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

I once was asked to leave a meeting about equal rights for women because I dared suggest that it was men who were discriminated against because we were expected to wear suits and ties when women doing the same job were free to wear pretty much what they wanted. That was over 40 years ago, nothing changes!

And did you leave this said “meeting” as asked ?

17 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

As it happens, the place that I worked at, all of my colleagues were women including my boss who was one of the best bosses I ever worked for.

Ditto.

Can't beat a female boss.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Apple said:

Ditto.

Can't beat a female boss.

You've got to be kidding. Any number of working women will tell of you of their pointy-elbowed fellow women who, having risen to the heights, lose no time in pouring boiling oil on anyone else wanting to follow. 

Oh dear. My boss was knowledgeable, intelligent, knew her subject very well, was clear in her view of the results she expected, didn't suffer fools gladly and always but always put our pupils first. 

The workplace was a special needs school.

Sadly she suffered a blood clot on her brain and died at an early age of 59 yrs old. Very sad, she taught a lot of folk how to be better humans and how to help those less fortunate than ourselves, a very sad loss indeed.

• Like 10

On 7/10/2021 at 8:47 AM, joebean said:

I really don't understand the clothing choices on Tynwald Day. The women can choose whatever outfit they feel suits them and is suitable for the occasion and the men all feel compelled to dress in a ridiculous outfit reminiscent of Victorian times, complete with a funny hat. I wonder how many of them feel the same sense of ridiculousness and feel tempted just to wear a modern suit? What would happen if they did? 

Agreed, the disparity is unfair. The clothing choice for men should evolve, as long as they are smartly dressed and look appropriate for the occasion it shouldn’t matter about the style of jacket, or if the trousers have the right width of pinstripes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1