Tynwald Day 2021

Amadeus

36 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No it’s not. It’s a blessing.

Teaches the importance of not relying on technology which can fail.

Always carry a minimum amount of cash (say £30 -£50) from which you can make small purchases.

If you wanted to buy something for a larger amount today from a stall at Tynwald and you didn’t have cash for the whole amount you could have left a cash deposit ( or your watch) got a receipt and completed the transaction later.

Simples.

We took 50 each.  Was gone by 11.

People don’t carry cash these days, we had taken that out yesterday in anticipation of a few places not taking cards.  Didn’t expect the whole place to be cash only.

Lots of the stands wouldn’t have had change anyway, as they had expected people to be behaving like it was 2021.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

We took 50 each.  Was gone by 11.

People don’t carry cash these days, we had taken that out yesterday in anticipation of a few places not taking cards.  Didn’t expect the whole place to be cash only.

Lots of the stands wouldn’t have had change anyway, as they had expected people to be behaving like it was 2021.

May I ask what you were wanting to buy? £50 pp would take care of refreshments with change (unless you are Joey Tribbiani) and as I say you could always have left a deposit for more expensive items so that would take care of any change issues. What sort of trader at an event like that would not have thought that some people might use cash and kept petty cash accordingly to pay change?

The traders would have become aware of the problems and if they were selling non consumables would have come to some arrangement if they had any gumption about them. If not they probably shouldn’t be in business.

If as you say people don’t carry cash these days,2021 or not ,then they only have themselves to blame for finding themselves in schtuk 

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What sort of trader at an event like that would not have thought that some people might use cash and kept petty cash accordingly to pay change?

Exactly, there was about 5 of them causing most of the trouble I heard...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

May I ask what you were wanting to buy? £50 pp would take care of refreshments with change (unless you are Joey Tribbiani) and as I say you could always have left a deposit for more expensive items so that would take care of any change issues. What sort of trader at an event like that would not have thought that some people might use cash and kept petty cash accordingly to pay change?

The traders would have become aware of the problems and if they were selling non consumables would have come to some arrangement if they had any gumption about them. If not they probably shouldn’t be in business.

If as you say people don’t carry cash these days,2021 or not ,then they only have themselves to blame for finding themselves in schtuk 

Breakfast was £8.  Lunch was £12, so there is 20 gone.

A picture frame - £20. A raffle ticket - £5 (roughly, can’t remember). Coffee - £2.75.  Already run out and barely scratched the surface.

Our kids are in the pub these days but Chuck in some kids rides and tat they want and £50 wouldn’t touch the sides.

Prior to today I have maybe used cash twice in a year and made a consolidation effort to get some in case some traders didn’t take cards.

Telecom have a mobile mast and should have had it sorted.  If I had had a stall there I would be seriously annoyed with them this evening.

10 hours ago, oooohtony said:

Breakfast was £8.  Lunch was £12, so there is 20 gone.

A picture frame - £20. A raffle ticket - £5 (roughly, can’t remember). Coffee - £2.75.  Already run out and barely scratched the surface.

Our kids are in the pub these days but Chuck in some kids rides and tat they want and £50 wouldn’t touch the sides.

Prior to today I have maybe used cash twice in a year and made a consolidation effort to get some in case some traders didn’t take cards.

Telecom have a mobile mast and should have had it sorted.  If I had had a stall there I would be seriously annoyed with them this evening.

Thanks for your reply.

Just one observation. You had both breakfast and lunch there before 11?

Anyway apart from the funding issue hope you had a good time.

• Haha 3

So is Tynwald day something that welcomes those visiting the island?  I watched the whole livestream with manx radio commentary playing alongside it, looked like a fascinating day......I'd love to be there for it next year. ..or is it Manx thing for Manx people.

if you see what I mean? 

Edited by chris4652009

4 minutes ago, chris4652009 said:

So is Tynwald day something that welcomes those visiting the island?  I watched the whole livestream with manx radio commentary playing alongside it, looked like a fascinating day......I'd love to be there for it next year. ..or is it Manx thing for Manx people.

if you see what I mean? 

As long as you bring cash, you will be very welcome!

Seriously,  it is just like a UK country fair, with a bit of ceremonial thrown in.  You would be very welcome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

As long as you bring cash, you will be very welcome!

Seriously,  it is just like a UK country fair, with a bit of ceremonial thrown in.  You would be very welcome. 

Thank you

My wife and I have a real affection for the isle of man, we had our honeymoon on your beautiful island 

We Love the place, and love the people 

• Like 2