Tynwald Day 2021

Amadeus

4 minutes ago, chris4652009 said:

So is Tynwald day something that welcomes those visiting the island?  I watched the whole livestream with manx radio commentary playing alongside it, looked like a fascinating day......I'd love to be there for it next year. ..or is it Manx thing for Manx people.

if you see what I mean? 

As long as you bring cash, you will be very welcome!

Seriously,  it is just like a UK country fair, with a bit of ceremonial thrown in.  You would be very welcome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Seriously,  it is just like a UK country fair, with a bit of ceremonial thrown in.  You would be very welcome. 

Thank you

My wife and I have a real affection for the isle of man, we had our honeymoon on your beautiful island 

We Love the place, and love the people 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chris4652009 said:

Thank you

My wife and I have a real affection for the isle of man, we had our honeymoon on your beautiful island 

We Love the place, and love the people 

That is lovely to hear.  Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Gladys said:

51 minutes ago, chris4652009 said:

So is Tynwald day something that welcomes those visiting the island?  I watched the whole livestream with manx radio commentary playing alongside it, looked like a fascinating day......I'd love to be there for it next year. ..or is it Manx thing for Manx people.

if you see what I mean? 

45 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

You really wouldn't.

It's an event for pseudo-Manx people and assorted hangers on.

There will be a smattering of Tubbs and Edward types.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The traders would have become aware of the problems and if they were selling non consumables would have come to some arrangement if they had any gumption about them. If not they probably shouldn’t be in business.

Not so sure. Since covid traders don’t want to take cash and equally consumers don’t want to use cash as it’s been drummed into them that cash is dirty. The amount of card transactions in retail has gone up hugely. Few people would be going to Tynwald with £50 in their pocket so likely a few of them did lose quite a bit of money as there’s no cashpoint anywhere near St Johns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Thanks for your reply.

Just one observation. You had both breakfast and lunch there before 11?

Anyway apart from the funding issue hope you had a good time.

Yup.  Bacon bap and a coffee on arrival, and purchased a rice lunch from the global village thing while the parade nonsense was on and it was quiet, rather than standing in a queue for an hour later.

The Chicken Tikka from the pub was also good, as was Meximann, and train smokers.

Was a good day all in, rounded off by a pizza and beers in the sun in Port Erin. 

4 hours ago, chris4652009 said:

if you see what I mean? 

You'll be fine, provided you don't come in a uniform. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

if they had any gumption about them. If not they probably shouldn’t be in business.

Yes a one man band trader should be expected to cater for any eventuality. 

Whereas a multimillion pound "world class " telecoms company could easily be caught out by a mass gathering that's only taken place for a few centuries. 

Perhaps the traders should email them to complain....... is manxnet mail working again yet? Or they could phone and complain if they've got a couple of hours spare to spend on hold, being told how important their call is every 20 seconds 😂

• Like 3